Great article by Simmons on whether Heat can make it work

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/10129&sportCat=nba

Simmons is one of my favorite writers, and I always enjoy reading his insight into these matters. Especially this one point about the article:

Only a few basketball teams figured out how to balance the agendas of two superstars; every time, it took a major concession on someone's behalf. West's Lakers never won a championship until Chamberlain tapped into his inner Russell. Kareem's Lakers benefited from Magic deferring for the first seven years, then assuming command as a scorer when Kareem's game began to decay. You can't win an NBA title without someone eventually saying, "I got this" and everyone else agreeing, "You're right, you got this." Miami isn't there yet.
I thought LeBron would make that sacrifice, but upon further review, Wade needs to reinvent himself as the team's defensive stopper, facilitator, emotional leader and occasional closer (much like Kobe did on the 2008 Dream Team). Why? Because LeBron is better than him. In Boston, I was praying to myself, "I hope LeBron doesn't decide to take over." Wade was an afterthought. And yeah, he struggled that game ... but I know what I saw, and I know how I felt. The only guy on the court who could stop LeBron on Tuesday night was Dwyane Wade.