Golf

G

Gr3atness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Oozie can hold on. He shot a solid -3 on Saturday with the pressure of going in 4 shots ahead.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Number One Watch

from http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/home/default.sps

t_from_the_editor.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

Tiger Woods has been World Number One for the last 266 weeks and for a total of 608 weeks in his career.

Phil Mickelson has another chance to take the Number One spot at this week's Open Championship with a win, with 2nd alone if Woods is outside the Top 4, with 3rd alone if Woods is outside the Top 14 and with 4th alone if Woods misses the cut.

The other players who have had official World Number 1 status in the 24 year history of the Ranking are BERNHARD LANGER (3 weeks), SEVE BALLESTEROS (61 weeks), GREG NORMAN (331 weeks), NICK FALDO (97 weeks), IAN WOOSNAM (50 weeks), FRED COUPLES (16 weeks), NICK PRICE (44 weeks), TOM LEHMAN (1 week), ERNIE ELS (9 weeks), DAVID DUVAL (15 weeks) and VIJAY SINGH (32 weeks)

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very disappointed in the fan turnout though, alot of empty stands all around the course.

You might have been watching Friday (US time). There was a weather delay and they played into the evening. This may sound weird, but I believe there was enough light for them to play up until about 10pm. I'm watching now (Sunday), the stands look full so far.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might have been watching Friday (US time). There was a weather delay and they played into the evening. This may sound weird, but I believe there was enough light for them to play up until about 10pm. I'm watching now (Sunday), the stands look full so far.

Not only does it sound weird but it looked even weirder. I had to rewind a few times to make sure. 10 PM and still light enough to play golf:eek: By the time you make it to the 19th it's close to last call:bawling: :bawling: :beer:

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not only does it sound weird but it looked even weirder. I had to rewind a few times to make sure. 10 PM and still light enough to play golf:eek: By the time you make it to the 19th it's close to last call:bawling: :bawling: :beer:
Yeah, I was very disappointed in that when I moved here. In our summertime, it can stay pretty light until 11.00 p.m. some evenings. I hoped it would be the same or better here - great for playing golf after work - but the best we can do in Georgia is 9.00 or thereabouts before it gets too dark to play.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not very exciting to watch, but always nice to see someone step up & handle that kind of pressure.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not very exciting to watch, but always nice to see someone step up & handle that kind of pressure.

He played as if there was no pressure. 27 years old and a Major under his belt :congrats: :congrats:

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, one of the announcers compared it to baseball. It's a lot more fun when there's at least an ounce of drama - last year was much better with Tom Watson almost winning. Speaking of which, I can't understand him retiring from the British Open when he's got the ability to win it. No.1 update - Tiger still 1, Mickelson still 2 - but with Lee Westwood nipping at his heels.

S

SirFoldaLot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oosthuizen looks a class act. Very talented and very cool under pressure. He definitely deserves his place among the big boys.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tiger finished one spot out of dead last at the Bridgestone Invitational. This is the number one player in the world - before, and after. If he somehow manages a win this year, current world ranking rules will allow him to retain number one well into his 70's, as long as he tees off at least once during the season.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tiger finished one spot out of dead last at the Bridgestone Invitational. This is the number one player in the world - before, and after. If he somehow manages a win this year, current world ranking rules will allow him to retain number one well into his 70's, as long as he tees off at least once during the season.

Well if Phil does not shoot 78 when he has a chance to take it over, it would cease to be like this. But seriously, try to understand the rankings instead of bashing it

CntryBoys

CntryBoys

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont Know that myself i was wondering the same thing. It was great to see tiger shoot 18 over par though this weekend and shoot his worse round of his carrer.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if Phil does not shoot 78 when he has a chance to take it over, it would cease to be like this. But seriously, try to understand the rankings instead of bashing it

No thanks, I'll just keep bashing while he shoots high scores and retains the number one spot.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Once again Phil demonstrates why he has never & prolly will never be regarded as the best.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No thanks, I'll just keep bashing while he shoots high scores and retains the number one spot.

But you have to realise that if no one is chasing him down, he will keep it. People don't lose number 1 spots, someone has to take it

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I'll agree with that. Phil certainly has had the opportunity, and hasn't taken advantage - one victory though, and he's number one. Lee Westwood is out of this week's tournament, so he won't have the chance to move up. This week's course is a windy, links-style beast, so it's hard to pick a winner - sounds great.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since Tiger Woods' global announcement of his infidelity, he's pretty much dropped off the PGA Tour ranks. You gotta admit, pressure from the media and his Viking Wife must take its toll on an athlete on and off the course. Has Tiger completed the apex of his career? Perhaps so, however he is the first athlete to earn over 1 Billion Dollars in the process. How many others golfers in history have accomplished this goal? Give him anther season and a half and Woods will be back in the winners circle.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since Tiger Woods' global announcement of his infidelity, he's pretty much dropped off the PGA Tour ranks. You gotta admit, pressure from the media and his Viking Wife must take its toll on an athlete on and off the course. Has Tiger completed the apex of his career? Perhaps so, however he is the first athlete to earn over 1 Billion Dollars in the process. How many others golfers in history have accomplished this goal? Give him anther season and a half and Woods will be back in the winners circle.

Yeah, it's clear he's being overtaken by his peers, including the young guns. I'm sure Tiger will win again, just not nearly as much. He dominated when he had the chance, but the tide has turned. So who is the number one golfer in the world?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He's still number one. Aparantely no one wants to catch him

S

SirFoldaLot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Tiger is only in a temporary slump. When he sorts out his private life his form will come back and I can see him becoming awesome again.

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All his Whoring aside, he is the most naturally talented player in the sport's in history. Given that, all that is needed for him to regain his stature within the sport/industry is for him to get his head "right".

In my opinion he was playing his best when he was dipping his wick around the world, seemingly care free, so it stands to reason, just as soon as "divorced life" becomes the norm, he (and his wick) will most likely get back on top of things.

I mean what he is guilty of is not criminal, just stupid. The "horrors" he is guilty of are the same behaviors that have made other (single) men famous.

The only flaw in this carrier recovery scenario is if he is mentally weak, which I see as very possible. In this case, he may honestly believe all the crap surrounding him about him having serious mental issues and not that he is just a cheater like a million others, only on an epic scale, in which he may never mentally recover and therefore fade into golf history.

Just one mans opinion.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tiger was very close to having his game back this weekend. His new "inside" swing was looking very good at times. He was leading the tournament in Driving Accuracy through three rounds and that's saying ALOT considering how pathetic his driving has been this year. He's close.

Anyone know where Phil finished?