Floyd Mayweather and Shane Mosley agree on Olympic-Style Drug Test

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5006342

This testing is fine with me, but I don't think Pacquiao is going to agree to this. Mayweather is trying to take the position that any future fight involving him will be subject to this kind of testing, but Manny Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, said after the Clottey fight that he wasn't even going to negotiate on the drug testing issue. Since Pacquiao is now the more marketable fighter, not Floyd, it doesn't look like the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight is going to happen unless Floyd backs down from this requirement. It would be a travesty if that fight can't be made over something as stupid as this. Those fighters and their managers are going to feel like complete idiots if one of the fighters loses a fight or suffers an untimely accident that prevents them from fighting and each earning a sure $40 million + payday. These guys are great fighters, but they are not necessarily the sharpest knives in the drawer.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5006342

This testing is fine with me, but I don't think Pacquiao is going to agree to this. Mayweather is trying to take the position that any future fight involving him will be subject to this kind of testing, but Manny Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, said after the Clottey fight that he wasn't even going to negotiate on the drug testing issue. Since Pacquiao is now the more marketable fighter, not Floyd, it doesn't look like the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight is going to happen unless Floyd backs down from this requirement. It would be a travesty if that fight can't be made over something as stupid as this. Those fighters and their managers are going to feel like complete idiots if one of the fighters loses a fight or suffers an untimely accident that prevents them from fighting and each earning a sure $40 million + payday. These guys are great fighters, but they are not necessarily the sharpest knives in the drawer.

What's the story behind Pacquiao refusing to do the testing? Is he saying it's against his religion or something? Just seems weird to me, like he has something to hide.

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the story behind Pacquiao refusing to do the testing? Is he saying it's against his religion or something? Just seems weird to me, like he has something to hide.

Supposedly, he's afraid of needles. But that explanation doesn't really make sense because he has tattoos. If you are afraid of needles, you probably aren't going to get tattoos. I've also heard it said that he doesn't want blood drawn close before the fight takes place because he feels it may weaken him. To me, that story doesn't wash either because I wouldn't think more than a small vial of blood would be necessary to perform the testing. It's not like a full pint of blood would be drawn for the test. There have been suspicions of his use of steroids, because he's moved up from 112 lbs. to 147 lbs. with absolutely no loss of punching power. His refusal to agree to testing does make it appear that he has something to hide.

On the other hand, many observers feel that Floyd is insisting on random drug testing as a way to get into Pacquiao's head, and thus have some kind of advantage going into the fight. Either way, it would be a damn shame if the two couldn't arrive at a compromise so they could fight. They've already agreed to a 50/50 split in the purse, so it seems to me the rest of the pieces should readily fall into place since the big issue -- money -- has already been settled. I hope they can fight each other in November, which is the earliest date the fight could reasonably happen.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I certainly do not buy those excuses for not doing the blood tests. Sounds like he definitely has something to hide.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Manny vs PBF happens at some point. Just far too much money available to these two for it not to happen

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all bollocks, Olympic drug testing is done by urine sample, and I know that for a fact.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone doesn't want to undergo a doping test he's doped - period.

Just my opinion.

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that if Pacquiao had nothing to hide, he should simply take the test. This fight has to be made, if for no other reason that each fighter will earn at least $40 million. It is a fight the sport of boxing desperately needs, but I don't think the fighters give a rat's @ss about the well-being of the sport. But I'm sure they're interested in making $40 million.

Here is a recent article that discusses the pro's and con's of the arguments on both sides and concludes that Manny's excuses are a bunch of bull.

http://ringtalk.com/pacquiao-steroids-epo-court-renders-verdict-on-pacquiao#more-7253