Fantasy Football 2013, New Scoring System Discussion

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fantasy season is fast approaching, about 3 weeks away. And thus I wanted to start getting an idea of who was interested. I also wish to propose the new wonky scoring changes and the rationale behind it.

So as you all know, I change the scoring system each year. Adjusting to new scoring systems is part of what separates the bad players from the good. Anyone can read a cheat sheet from a fantasy football site, but it takes brain power to know how to adjust to a new scoring format.

Here are the top 12 QB's in a standard scoring format last year:

Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Peyton Manning
Tony Romo
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin III
Matthew Stafford
Russell Wilson
Andy Dalton

I think what you'll notice is that there are a lot of QB's who rack up stats, but don't necessarily help their team win. Brees, Newton, and Stafford all had losing records last year, but because they had TONS of opportunity, they scored lots of fantasy points. We don't want to reward players for having a bad defense that keeps forcing them to pass, or a coach who never runs the football. We want to have the player who does the most with his opportunities get the most points. The stat that correlates most with team wins is adjusted net yards per attempt, so I'd like to try and create a scoring system that mimics that.

Consider this scoring system:

0.05 points per yard
4 points per Passing TD
-3 points per Interception
-0.20 points per pass attempt
-1 point per sack taken

The small deduction in points for each pass attempt rewards a QB for being efficient, rather than throwing a ton of passes. And I don't think anyone would argue that when Cam Newton takes a sack for holding the ball too long that it helps his team. Let's look at how the top 12 QB's would look under this scoring system. I've included their change in rank next to their name.

Tom Brady (+2)
Drew Brees (-1)
Robert Griffin III (+6)
Aaron Rodgers (-1)
Peyton Manning (+1)
Cam Newton (-2)
Matt Ryan (-2)
Russell Wilson (+3)
Tony Romo (-2)
Matthew Stafford (0)
Josh Freeman (+2)
Andrew Luck (-4)

I don't think people realize how good RG3 was last year. He had the highest yards per attempt in the league, but he took 20 less sacks than Rodgers did. He jumps 6 spots in the rankings because he was great at throwing the ball far down field while avoiding negative plays. Luck, Romo, Newton, Rodgers, and Brees all drop in the rankings, which makes sense. The Green Bay Packers allowed the 2nd most sacks in the league, 2nd only to the Arizona Cardinals and their horrible QB situation. Luck, Romo, and Brees all had head coaches that didn't believe in running the ball. And Cam Newton is still a raw passer who has great arm talent, but throws too many picks and takes too many sacks.

Hopefully using this scoring setting this year will allow you to hope that a QB plays WELL rather than gets down by 100 points and has to throw the ball all over the yard. The point of fantasy football is to have the numbers match what we all know: Taking sacks is bad, throwing the ball farther down field with each attempt is good

Thoughts?

Hello c9h13no3 it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
Yep, poker is dead to me these days, so it's no surprise that this is the first time that I've posted in a while.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice to hear from you again!

I am out this time - sooooo busy with work I just need a few no brainer type leagues this year. One PPR league is enough change for me. :p

B

banshee1975

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been playing ff probably 15 years and have played scoring sitiuations like this. Only strategy to win? Dont even draft a qb. Draft the rbs and wrs high. Maybe even a good wr. The pick up a 3rd string qb that wont see the field and take it all the way to the championships . Just my opinion of course but im thinking qb position is gimped here

UnNa7uRal

UnNa7uRal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play/Watch real football a.k.a soccer ! :D

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mind posting their last year's point total in a standard system vs your newly proposed system? Imo it's not really how they compare to each other that matters as much as how they compare with other positions.

Btw, I'm not interested in playing as I have too many leagues going as it is. Just interested in the proposed scoring. Also good to see you again.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi C9. Nice to see you. I'm in for this year.

I don't agree with the new system for QB scoring. You are punishing a good QB for being on a lousy team. If they were surrounded by better players they would have winning seasons. Thir high scores are just a reflection on how good they are. Take Brees for instance. He lost his head coach, was under investigation, lost a few other key players yet managed to put up great numbers. Imagine what would have happened to the team if Sean Payton was still coach. And watch what happens this year.

I think what you had for scoring last year was fine. But I would jump the minus points for interceptions. That is within the QBs control.

E

erup24

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds cool, cant wait for the season to start. I usually like the defualt settings so i can get more than one team and see how i compare.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd prefer something more standard. There's probably a bunch of ways you could make the scoring for every position more complicated, precise and representative of true performance, but that doesn't mean it's what people want. I think most people who aren't hardcore about FF stick with scoring that relies on only a few categories for each position because they want something fun and relatively simple.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd prefer something more standard. There's probably a bunch of ways you could make the scoring for every position more complicated, precise and representative of true performance, but that doesn't mean it's what people want. I think most people who aren't hardcore about FF stick with scoring that relies on only a few categories for each position because they want something fun and relatively simple.
I'll run a league for you boring people too, don't worry.

WV: This is a first crack at it. We can always adjust the QB & other position scoring so that the value of the QB position doesn't change. But since you asked...

Tom Brady 221.6
Drew Brees 216.4
Robert Griffin III 214.2
Aaron Rodgers 210.4
Peyton Manning 206.5
Cam Newton 194.8
Matt Ryan 182.2
Russell Wilson 169.4
Tony Romo 140.4
Matthew Stafford 130.9
Josh Freeman 128.7
Andrew Luck 128.4

Standard scoring 1-12 gap = 109.9
This Scoring System 1-12 gap = 93.2

So this would make QB's slightly less important, but about the same as usual.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it is a standard league with no tricky scoring I would play. I don't find that boring at all and it levels the playing field.

I haven't liked it either of the last 2 years compared to the other leagues I have played in. (as far as the scoring goes)

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll play a standard league too.