What If? Episode 22

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone and welcome to another action packed episode of What If? It's the early stages of a tourney and the blinds are 20/40. You are the samll blind. Everyone folds to you. You are dealt :2s4: :5s4: . Junk hand but you are willling to see the flop if its cheap so you call the Big Blind. Big Blind checks. You have about 4800 in chips and the Big Blind has 4500. The flop comes:
:js4: :6s4: :9s4: . You are first to act. What do you do here?

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop:
Check, if he bets small, raise. If he bets big, call.

Turn:
If checkd flop, overbet pot by about 300-400 chips. If he raises, shove.
If he bet pot small on flop, check and then raise when he bets again.

River:
If he bet and hung around until the river, bet the pot which should be a few K.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mischman said:
Flop:
Check, if he bets small, raise. If he bets big, call.
If he doesn't bet, shoot yourself for giving a free card? ;)

Not the spot for a c/r, just bet out.

Also how can you comment on the turn and river without knowing what they are? Are you really playing exactly the same way if (a) the 3d, or (b) the Ks turns?

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd lead out for 2/3 pot. Don't give him any free cards if he has a flush draw.

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dorkus Malorkus said:
If he doesn't bet, shoot yourself for giving a free card? ;)

Not the spot for a c/r, just bet out.

Also how can you comment on the turn and river without knowing what they are? Are you really playing exactly the same way if (a) the 3d, or (b) the Ks turns?

Good point, im assuming the turn and river dont pair the board and are not a spade

Vintage82

Vintage82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd lead out with 2/3 pot bets on each street assuming no more spades or board pairings. Smaller value bet on river maybe.

If a spade does come i'm check folding, not as worried about a board pair, although I would want to keep the pot small enough to fold without damaging my stack if it goes tits up.

Last edited:
withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have personally folded this at the start. As you quite rightly said "Junk Hand". Normally grief to throw any chips, no matter how cheap after Junk

Playing it has now got you in a dilema

:withstupi

Last edited:
bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pot bet or higher. Beginning of MTT alot will play if there is a hint of getting something. So if that player has a spade you know they are going to play. Make them pay if they want and on the turn if a spade doesn't show allin.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd lead out with 1/2 pot bet; if he's got a jack or nine and has half a mind, he'll probably raise you, then you can come over the top. Don't give any spade a free card to beat you.

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have 2s 5s in the Sb and flop a flush, why not get fancy???

I can see why everyone is saying to bet out because they are scared of another spade hitting and killing the flush.

3 spades on board
2 in your hand
1 in the BB hands- if he is going to make a flush, he need a spade
That would be 7 spades left in the deck, if they are playing Hu. But there in a MTT so obv. there are about 8-9 players there that prbly mucked 3 or 4 spades.

that means that there are only about 3 or 4 cards that can hit that will bust your flush. You are a huge favorite to win the pot.

Also, this is a MTT, you have to get chips to win these. I dont know anyone that plays MTT to place, you play to get like 3 or win. I think 10th or 9th only plays a few X's your buy in.

For those reasons i think playing it 'fancing' or 'sneaking' and 'c/r' is just fine. But i can see when sitting in the seat and the clock is ticking you would be scared and bet out.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mischman said:
there are about 8-9 players there that prbly mucked 3 or 4 spades.

that means that there are only about 3 or 4 cards that can hit that will bust your flush. You are a huge favorite to win the pot.
Unfortunately they have also mucked a whole load of diamonds, hearts and clubs as well so it cancels out!

Still 7 outs as far as you're concerned, = 30% or so chance of one hitting on turn or river. You're right though in that if there are 3 on the board and you assume one in his hand, it's lower odds than a normal flush draw situation.

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see why people would out and bet. Im just giving thoughts on why i would play it tricky. You also need chips to make money in MTT's^^^^^

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now what happens if the BB has AX of spade or KX of spade?? Or QX unsuited? We have a flush here granted and the possibility of the BB having a higher flush or getting outdrawn,, BB could also have Top pair, mid pair, 2 pair or even a set...

This is where you need to bet out and find out exactly where you stand.. no little mini bet(you will gain no info)... it is a 40 chip pot to remember though as well.. and nice chip stack to start with by the way :)... I would just toss out 100 chips because 40 in chips and to fight for this early on, there is no need to really bet out much higher... the turn is trickier depending on what comes..

I just don't see the point in really fighting to strong here in the early going for 40 in chips with a low made flush hand.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another thing to consider is your style/image at the table - have you been stealing alot of pots? Are you playing like a rock? Somewhere in between?
Your decision should also be based on this, aswell as your opponent's image.

One thing to remember, though, is this:

It is one of the cardinal sins in poker to give a free card.