To use a HUD or not to use a HUD lol

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive been reading a little about what statistics HUDS offer and also the way you can reveiw previous hands using certain software to find leaks in your game. Just curious as to wether this is nessiasry for a new player or could
It have adverse effects using a HUD so early on, any guidance here would be amazing :eek:

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Tried different HUD's trial versions in the past, but I gave up in the end because it distract me and influence my game in wrong way. The only benefits for me personally are:

1. Easy way to review your decisive hands from the past tournaments.
2. Some of the HUD's providing an easy way to see stats of the opponents on your table, like: Games played, Cash earned, ROI%, ITM%, etc - all this filtering by tournament types - so you could see easily with whom you have to fight.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's worth it to review your game and specific hands played , you dont need to go mad with the stats just vpip/prf and 3bet is ok to start with and here are plenty of videos on huds so it's not difficult to learn. I i like holdem manager 3 that has a 1 month free trial but poker tracker is the other main one i beleive. Most sites party poker now and stars i think only have session stats so the stats you use can be very minimal.

WhiskeyFix

WhiskeyFix

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
110% worth using a HUD.

All the other players are.

HUDs allow you to gather detailed information on how other players play Pre-Flop.

You'll know if it's a good idea to shove Pre Flop if two players are tight (VPIP of >15) they're more than likely to fold a shove.

If you're up against two loose players (VPIP of <40) they're more than likely going to call your shoves.

I find it much easier myself when using a HUD but I can see how it can be overwhelming to look at all the information.

At the very least, try to start keeping tabs on players and making notes.

Cheers

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no harm in using HUD with the following caveat:

You need to know that some stats aren't meaningful unless you have a lot of hands.

That's it.

VPIP tells you quickly how loose a player is. You need to know that.
PFR and AF tells you about how aggressive they are, and you need to know that.

Neither of those takes 100s of hands to know.

Other stats can be useful, but those are the big 3. Use them. If the rest are distracting or misleading (due to sample size), ignore them.

So...if you take into account sample size, using a HUD can't hurt. So why not?

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
110% worth using a HUD.

All the other players are.

HUDs allow you to gather detailed information on how other players play Pre-Flop.

You'll know if it's a good idea to shove Pre Flop if two players are tight (VPIP of >15) they're more than likely to fold a shove.

If you're up against two loose players (VPIP of <40) they're more than likely going to call your shoves.

I find it much easier myself when using a HUD but I can see how it can be overwhelming to look at all the information.

At the very least, try to start keeping tabs on players and making notes.

Cheers

Thanks for that informative reply, I was kinda thinking if I do use one keep it simple first of all. vpip is an important stat, what others do you frequently use to get tells can I ask. Thanks ahain

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no harm in using HUD with the following caveat:

You need to know that some stats aren't meaningful unless you have a lot of hands.

That's it.

VPIP tells you quickly how loose a player is. You need to know that.
PFR and AF tells you about how aggressive they are, and you need to know that.

Neither of those takes 100s of hands to know.

Other stats can be useful, but those are the big 3. Use them. If the rest are distracting or misleading (due to sample size), ignore them.

So...if you take into account sample size, using a HUD can't hurt. So why not?

Thanks for that:) what would stats in question be that take a lot of hands to have any use? :eek:

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To use a HUD or not to use a HUD

I am not worrying about to much, but the HUD isnt help my play at all, if it is perhaps I don't know it.

I want to know what type of player I am, and it really does not let me know that for sure unless I just don't know how to use the information.

I need it simple, like fish, tight or loose!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HUD is a tool. You can have the best tool but if you do not know how to use it it will not help you. If you decide to use a hud you should take your time to learn what the different statistics mean and how to use them properly to take better decisions in difficult situations. If you do not do that hud not only will not help you but it can even mislead you in some situations.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is worth it especially if you're multi-tabling. You can't remember everything that's going on at a table.

Also, you'll have an edge when you see a player for more than one time as long as reviews (as everyone said before)

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to turn it on at the start of a tourney and see if there's a lot of hand history for any players, if not I don't use it but if I've played a lot of hands with someone before it will give me an idea if they are a TAG or a LAG, if they c bet 100 per cent or fold to c-bets 100 per cent, or call 100 per cent, how aggressive they are etc. It might influence my decisions a bit. If I know someone always calls c-bets I'm not going to fire one out of position with nothing. If I'm playing just one table I'll turn it off after the initial look as I don't like the clutter on my screen.

LanaRhoades

LanaRhoades

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say no for HUD.I prefer the old school of poker.I play on my own.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with some of the comments about being a distraction to have the HUD active during a game. My real goal is to win live, and I find that if I use a HUD online, i get lazy. I really need to keep my observation skills sharp to win live, so I choose to not really utilize that HUD online, though i cannot argue with the value it can provide.

As for the historical statistics that HoldemManager or PokerTracker provide, I think a serious player would be foolish to ignore this info. I was somewhat skeptical, but after trying to dig into my play using HoldemManager, i am thoroughly impressed and i have learned a lot about myself in doing so. My winnings have soared after doing some basic research into my play.

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with some of the comments about being a distraction to have the HUD active during a game. My real goal is to win live, and I find that if I use a HUD online, i get lazy. I really need to keep my observation skills sharp to win live, so I choose to not really utilize that HUD online, though i cannot argue with the value it can provide.

As for the historical statistics that HoldemManager or PokerTracker provide, I think a serious player would be foolish to ignore this info. I was somewhat skeptical, but after trying to dig into my play using HoldemManager, i am thoroughly impressed and i have learned a lot about myself in doing so. My winnings have soared after doing some basic research into my play.

That’s a good point, if playing live also I guess it wouldn’t be good to become complacent... hand tracking seems like a great thing, what do you tend to look for when reviewing hands

adriantempo

adriantempo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't think it's necessary but it can help. As for adverse effects, I don't see any.

R

rdpoker5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The tracking tools can help you a lot, but do not base all you decisions on stats. Specially in tournaments people are shoving different ranges at different stages of the game.

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why seek help from the software? You will destroy the effectiveness of your brain. We learn from the knowledge of our parents and school. Then College, Institute or University. This is for the development of brain cells. If we give strength to artificial intelligence, we will never understand the brain's ability to develop perfection. So we will remain at a two percent level of development. The civilization of Mesoamerica has reached 17% of the possession of its mind. But unfortunately, it was destroyed for its ability to evolve. Our lives are governed. We are like a microcosm in the inflorescence of a Heather flower. But the multimillion-dollar field around similar colors and our world. Planet Earth is created for the fallen in the life of the Universe.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not big HUD user but helps with VPIP, Preflop raise, 3bet, Aggresion factor.
For MTT you need HUD for sure, it's not that easy to follow the information on all tables.

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not big HUD user but helps with VPIP, Preflop raise, 3bet, Aggresion factor.
For MTT you need HUD for sure, it's not that easy to follow the information on all tables.
Play a reasonable number of tables for your brain and concentration and you won't be constantly making a Deposit. You'll only take profit.

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why wouldn't you use a hud? > knowledge is power. (but........ - when i started playing online poker with an indicator i did fall into the trap for a while where i thought it solved everything and was always right, i lost money (obviously), but - then you remember the fundamentals and maintain a balance with all of this new info the hud offers).

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why wouldn't you use a hud? > knowledge is power. (but........ - when i started playing online poker with an indicator i did fall into the trap for a while where i thought it solved everything and was always right, i lost money (obviously), but - then you remember the fundamentals and maintain a balance with all of this new info the hud offers).

I can see that happening, I’ve read that there is a few stats not to always take at face value .... did you find it’s easier just to focus on the main 3/4 stats to begin with

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why seek help from the software? You will destroy the effectiveness of your brain. We learn from the knowledge of our parents and school. Then College, Institute or University. This is for the development of brain cells. If we give strength to artificial intelligence, we will never understand the brain's ability to develop perfection. So we will remain at a two percent level of development. The civilization of Mesoamerica has reached 17% of the possession of its mind. But unfortunately, it was destroyed for its ability to evolve. Our lives are governed. We are like a microcosm in the inflorescence of a Heather flower. But the multimillion-dollar field around similar colors and our world. Planet Earth is created for the fallen in the life of the Universe.

we are evolving... just away from data storage, but towards multi-tasking at an insane level.:driver:

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we are evolving... just away from data storage, but towards multi-tasking at an insane level.:driver:
Excuse me, but when you use the software, you degrade. This is the right of today's young people, and I have no right to condemn you, but you lose the concept of life and the "reality" of computer graphics. Today's young people spend time after studying in the computer. When will you be able to develop your body muscles to protect your own country?

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I decided not to use them, huds distract my attention so I prefer to improve my own skill instead of using some "helpers".

K

Krayzhorse

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never used one. To be honest wouldn't no how. Sorry I can't help