PT3 vs. Hold'em Manager (vs. other software)

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man really? I tried out HEM and I had all sorts of problems getting it setup and then trying to figure the rest of its shit out. To me PT3 is wayyyy easier to use. VERY easy setup.

I didnt have any issues with setting either up.

Did you have PT3 first? because you need to configure postgres manually for whichever is the second DB. So if you had PT3 and then pit on HEM you would have to setup the DB via postgress. Its the same but the other way around if you had HEM first.

The ease of HEM over PT3 really comes down to configuring the HUD and basic filters (HEM is just so much simpler)

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I downloaded and tried HEM. For some players, this type of software may not be helpful. Everyone is different. I already uninstalled mine - won't be getting anything similar any time soon. It reinforced what I already knew about my game, and it also told me in 30 hands or so what I already knew about my opponents at the table. If you're a numbers junky as far as poker is concerned, or you aren't sure what your weaknesses are, it will probably prove helpful. What this kind of software can never give anyone though, is a "feel" for the game. That is either natural or learned through experience in my opinion.

tomh7795

tomh7795

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So i guess you won't be multi tabling any time soon then? And how do you know how your opponents are playing after 30 hands? you can't? Did you use it to it's full abilty?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For recreational players who don't have any desire to work on their game, or for players who specialize in games other than HE and Omaha, yes, HEM won't be very useful.

I guarantee, though, that if you didn't find it helpful, you didn't use it to its fullest extent. Nothing replaces experience, of course, but the intent of HEM and PT3 is not to replace experience, its to allow you to organize your experience into improvable chunks. The HUD doesn't suck either.

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So i guess you won't be multi tabling any time soon then? And how do you know how your opponents are playing after 30 hands? you can't? Did you use it to it's full abilty?

Multi-table? Very difficult for me. I suffer from a neurological disease which contributes to making just typing each post a significant challenge for me. I can't play more than 1 ring game at a time and make good decisions. I am okay with 2 tourneys at a time, though twice I ended up heads-up at the final table in both tourneys - which was brutal! Could barely keep up with the mouse clicks. As far as opponents, I didn't understand your point - sometimes I can see a major flaw in a players game after just 1 hand - can't you? I guess I meant that you need about 30 hands of history (approximately) to make any kind of determination from the software when you haven't played someone. No way I could have used all of the features - those things will compile 10 times the data anyone would ever need - I recognize this. But again, remember that every tool, post, thread, advice, and method does not universally work for all. What disappointed me the most about HM was that statistically it told me nothing that I didn't already know about my game. I was hoping to get surprised about something I missed. Peace.

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For recreational players who don't have any desire to work on their game, or for players who specialize in games other than HE and Omaha, yes, HEM won't be very useful.

I guarantee, though, that if you didn't find it helpful, you didn't use it to its fullest extent. Nothing replaces experience, of course, but the intent of HEM and PT3 is not to replace experience, its to allow you to organize your experience into improvable chunks. The HUD doesn't suck either.

Remember that every tool, post, thread, advice, and method does not universally work for all.

R

rollnutilt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wont that prevent future RB?
Good point Stu. You do not want to give up RB go to the sites and get the free trial PT3 had a 90 day trial period and HEM has 60 days. Don't give up RB you will be losing money in the long run even if you buy it, it will pay for itself.