TO HUD OR NOT TO HUD?

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me.. depends on the stakes.. if its freeroll.. not much.. but if its 10$ up i'll give it 8/10

E

edcwy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only playing freerolls to try and build up a stack and contemplating whether or not a HUD should be used.

sound silly? obv need one? any free ones? otherwise whats the best in your opinion to use?

also if anyone else is trying to grind freerolls how are you faring? how do you keep track of wins/ losses and adjust less that perfect plays?

I have found a HUD very useful.

I use Pokertracker 4 which also tracks statistics for play money. HM2 does not track for play money as I understand. I paid the full-pop and have installed successfully on MAC and Windows.

I rarely play on pokerstars any longer as so the play-money feature no longer matters to me. Play-money? I found value in tracking play-money as a serious intermediate beginner. This was before I had a ACR account.

50000+ hands later, I have a reasonable data set.

I now have data to review as how my learning has progressed or not. The HUD gave me a reference point to my game at any particular time, permission to experiment and then measure various strategies over a variety of games and situations. The HUD encouraged me to play more than I might have otherwise as I had a way to measure outcomes, reward myself with success and learn from my mistakes.

I am now at the point where I turn off the HUD 1/3rd of the time as I want to understand if I rely too heavily upon the HUD, if I might play differently without one, and as training for live play, where clearly, it's a different kind of read.

S

Sourtubbie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its good early on to use a hud to learn how people play against you and vice versa but I no longer use one as I found it was misleading me a little and I needed to simplify my game.
One thing I will point out is people change there game throughout a session and noted are far more effective in seeing these rare spots to exploit. Least that is what works for me.

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its good early on to use a hud to learn how people play against you and vice versa but I no longer use one as I found it was misleading me a little and I needed to simplify my game.
One thing I will point out is people change there game throughout a session and noted are far more effective in seeing these rare spots to exploit. Least that is what works for me.

In what way does it mislead you?

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it interesting and only having used it for 3 days a very useful tool indeed.

It's very helpful to keep a track on loose cannons who seem to play every hand and raise raise raise without sitting watching every hand, I'm not the best for full on commitment I'm always doing something along side playing online.

It's also really useful to see how many hands your playing and how your playing vpip is important for me and 15-25 % bracket is ideal unless your having a pokerstars card fest, then again I've seen VPIP 100% for 40 hands and they win everything who ever calls MANIACS I believe there termed !

I agree on freefolls different game, people gamble more and happy to chuck it all in where as when they actually pay to play they think more.

pokerlabs calculator is worth using, outs, tips etc

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
jsteppps,
I find the best thing about a HUD when you are starting out is being able to really analyze your hand histories. I still only use mostly basic stats in my HUD, but I am learning new ways to review my hands. That helps me more than when I am actually playing

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A HUD is an important tool, especially if you multi table grind, you can't get a read on all players on all tables without some help and as it has been mentioned above, it will help you with your own game by letting you know how you're playing, ie: tight/loose, passive/aggressive etc.

bujjhati

bujjhati

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A HUD is an important tool, especially if you multi table grind, you can't get a read on all players on all tables without some help and as it has been mentioned above, it will help you with your own game by letting you know how you're playing, ie: tight/loose, passive/aggressive etc.

It is indeed a really important tool especially if you are playing too many tables at the same time, if you don't want to miss too much information the HUD's can help you a bit by saving some important informations about your opponents, that way you don't have to pay too much attention in the game