How to set realistic opponent ranges in Pokerstove?

palmerd2

palmerd2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What ranges do you set as defaults for tight, TAG, LAG, loose, maniac, unknowns, etc.? I am getting used to the software and currently am setting all Villian ranges as 25.2%.

22+,A2s+,K9s+,Q9s+,JTs,T9s,87s,A8o+,K9o+,Q9o+,JTo

I want to have different ranges for different kinds of opponents open in Notepad so all I have to do is copy/paste while I am playing.

Thanks,
David

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Click on player and then type in whatever percent, If someone is a 30/20, they play, the are playing the 30% of hands shown on that grid, and raising 20%.

For better players, the VPIP will obviously vary depending on position.

*EDIT: Sorry I didn't really understand your question properly but I think I get it now. I don't think you can really divide players into just a few different categories. A 100/90 is obviously very different to an 80/2. How many tables do you play? If it's not many you could just leave pokerstove open and use the slider during play. Do bear in mind that ranges are not going to be very accurate for small samples.

Attachments

• ranges.jpg
    ranges.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 43
acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You also have to adjust pokerstove a little as it's not 100% accurate on how we rank our hands, e.g. pokerstars doesnt include 55 in someones range at 25% of hands, and im sure most players seeing 12% of hands can have pairs like this in their range, so tend to add them in dependant on villains tendancys or your assumptions. So if you see someone raise 44 UTG we could assume they raise all pairs UTG for example.

I like your idea of having them on a notepad so you can quickly copy and paste, might have to try that myself.

palmerd2

palmerd2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play one table at a time, two occasionally. I used to have Excel open on the side to calculate BB, effective stacks, and M, but I pretty much have those calcs memorized. I am pretty used to running programs on the side; might have to get PokerTacker trial or HEM now that I actually have a program that can calc a range based on vpip.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What ranges do you set as defaults for tight, TAG, LAG, loose, maniac, unknowns, etc.? I am getting used to the software and currently am setting all Villian ranges as 25.2%.

22+,A2s+,K9s+,Q9s+,JTs,T9s,87s,A8o+,K9o+,Q9o+,JTo

I want to have different ranges for different kinds of opponents open in Notepad so all I have to do is copy/paste while I am playing.

Thanks,
David
What are you playing? .... cuz personally for me it's completely situationally dependant always.

G

gregnice

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ideally what you want to do is get to the point where you are not generalizing a player's range, every player is different and will have a different range in different spots. The range you posted is very loose as a preflop calling raise, barely tight for a button preflop raising range, and about average for a late position preflop raise. But you didn't even mention if you are talking about preflop. As you can see, things can get specific very quick..

palmerd2

palmerd2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a generic range that I copy/paste into Pokerstove during review. Since I play at micro-stakes (.02/.05 or .02/.04) I always assume villian has a very wide calling range, unless I have a read that they are tight.

I can then narrow the range based on their flop actions. For example, if they check-call my cbet on an Ace-High flop, I am going to eliminate hands like KJ and 99 from their range.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are you playing? .... cuz personally for me it's completely situationally dependant always.
Still waiting for you to post some suitable hands that you reviewed in PokerStove, PO, which you said that you were going to do in another thread a few weeks back... just saying... :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Still waiting for you to post some suitable hands that you reviewed in PokerStove, PO, which you said that you were going to do in another thread a few weeks back... just saying... :)
months back... ;)
sorry I've been lazy - actually thought about that when I read this post