You Want The Fish To Call...

U Wanna Fold

U Wanna Fold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But you don't want them to get lucky. You place a PERFECT bet to lure them in into making them think their top pair is good, or making them think they can push you out of the pot with their draw, and so many times I hear people COMPLAIN about them getting lucky. Lets face it, You place those bets (or there lack of) because you want a call. If they get lucky, that comes with the territory. That is how we make our profit, they lose a lot more than they win playing like that, I guarantee. Hi, I'm Josh, and I am new to this site. I try my best to analyze poker without over-analyzing it to the point that I get paranoid. Let me know if you need tips, just like I'll let you know if I do as well. Have fun, and good luck at the tables, and remember, there is no such thing as a horrible call when that is what you wanted them to do in the first place. ;)

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice points in your post. Welcome to the forum.

cascat

cascat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah good post. The human brain isn't all that logic at all most of the time.

Welcome to the forum!

pokerrqueenn

pokerrqueenn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello josh. excellent post. i especially liked the part about overanalyzing.i think it takes the fun out of the game which is the primay reason most of us start toplay this game +rep

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Josh, welome. We all tend to overanalyze things a bit sometimes dont we? hehe. I know I have that problem playing poker sometime. :D

H

hustlenflow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Josh, I have a question for you- How do you play pocket 7, 8, or 9's in a cash game pre-flop?

U Wanna Fold

U Wanna Fold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Josh, I have a question for you- How do you play pocket 7, 8, or 9's in a cash game pre-flop?

That all depends on position, if the table is tight or loose/aggressive or passive. Generally, as a rule I will limp with mid pair, to keep from paying too much, because, lets face it, you can only hope to get extremely lucky with them. when played right, they can be extremely deadly. If in early position like UTG or second to act PF, I might raise about 4xbb (I always raise 4xbb preflop if i choose to raise). If I am in mid position, like i said, depending on the table, I might raise, but assuming no one is playing like a moron, i would limp. In Late position, I would probably raise (not re-raise) to get the bb and/or the sb off of weak hands. If I hit and it was raised preflop, If an Ace King or Queen is up there as well as my set, I definitely bet, unless he is aggressive, then i let him beat himself. If he is tight, I let him think i am bluffing, but I bet light, so that i don't push anyone away, maybe 2 or 3xbb. If there is a draw, again depends on the table, but assuming it's a decent table, I bet, if you take the pot down right then, that's okay, not every big hand is going to be a big win. But chances are people are going to think you are the one on that draw if they aren't. If they don't think you're on the draw because of the bet, then, they may think their top pair is good. ;)