What are essential software for online poker?

S

StevieHmself

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing online for the last 4 months and have done free trials with PT3 and Tournament indicator, i really enjoyed Tournament indicator and may purchase it, but i am wondering what the essential 3rd party softwares are, what is a must to give me that edge in online play. Should i buy PT3 as well? are there any free options?

SYWTWAF

SYWTWAF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider a poker tracking software the most essential piece of 3rd party software. I use PT3 (because it seems to be the only such software compatible with Mac), but I hear a lot of good things about HEM, so if you don't use Mac you might want to check that out instead. I would get this before anything else; I can't imagine playing online poker seriously without it. It's not just (or even primarily) useful for the real-time HUD, but also for reviewing hands, spotting leaks, and objectively (i.e. quantitatively) gauging your long-term performance. I'm not aware of free alternatives that are on the level of PT3 or HEM.

In addition, I like to have an equity calculator like Poker Stove around.

If you play a lot of sit 'n' goes, an ICM tool like SNG Wizard is practically a must. (I'd have it if it weren't for the Mac)

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SNG powertools and SNG wiz if you're a SNG player.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used HEM and it is great. Would not recommend SNG Wizard - even if you are playing sng's - unless you have someone extremely knowledgeable about it to train you on how to use it.