UltimateBet site virus ... ??

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Went to load Ultimatebet today so I could register for the GGE games this weekend (3/5-6)

Got a virus warning when I went to load my standard shortcut to Ultimatebet site ....

Ub virus

So... I uninstalled all of Ultimatebet and went straight to U B.com to download, bypassing any links, etc....

Have tried twice now and all I get once Ultimatebet starts it's download is...

Ub virus2

I have no other sites/tabs (in WindowsXP) open except the Ultimatebet for download and Cardschat.

Anyone else having a problem or has Ultimatebet installed enough malware and spyware that my security suite will not allow Ultimatebet to operate/open on my computer... ??

Maid Marian

Maid Marian

RIP Baby BooBoo
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had no difficulty reaching UB...had the update done too without a virus warning.:)

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I updated today with no virus warning. Did you google the program the virus software tagged?

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, I just got a message from AVG saying that the main poker client of UB is infected with a virus and I had to quarantine it.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just got the updates for Ultimatebet (it took a while, I haven't played in over a year!) and no viruses were reported.

Often a virus will run and attach itself to some other application. If a virus is attaching to a poker App, my guess is that it came from some type of poker site or poker tool.

Also, I think Ultimatebet utilizes Internet Explorer. I don't know if that has any implications, but when I clicked on something in the Ultimatebet app, IE popped up and I *never* use IE, so I don't know what's up with that.

Good luck to you. Maybe contact Ultimatebet and find out if anyone else has had a problem. Maybe one of their advertising pages has been hacked and people are being infected through the use of IE.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, I just got a message from AVG saying that the main poker client of Ultimatebet is infected with a virus and I had to quarantine it.

Good to hear I'm not alone and it seems to generate from the same program/client. Bad to hear that I may not be able to play the weekend games at UB.

I just got the updates for Ultimatebet (it took a while, I haven't played in over a year!) and no viruses were reported.

Often a virus will run and attach itself to some other application. If a virus is attaching to a poker app, my guess is that it came from some type of poker site or poker tool.

Also, I think Ultimatebet utilizes Internet Explorer. I don't know if that has any implications, but when I clicked on something in the Ultimatebet app, IE popped up and I *never* use IE, so I don't know what's up with that.

Good luck to you. Maybe contact Ultimatebet and find out if anyone else has had a problem. Maybe one of their advertising pages has been hacked and people are being infected through the use of IE.

I do use IE exclusively, so that is a possibility. I don't wander much from daily website basics and only log in to Stars and FT, and NO other poker (tool) programs of any kind... except Cardschat of course....

One of the reasons I went directly to the UB main site to download.

HMmmm... just one more reason not to play on UB. Hate to just give up the BR there ... :(

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After reading this I loaded UB on a laptop (Windows Vista) that has state of the art security and had no problem, nor have I had any virus alerts on my desktop (XP) which is where I play poker primarily. I was at UB for a number of hours tonight because that blasted BBJ is so high right now. :D

I use IE8 on both systems.

Hmmm...what version of IE are you using, Nick?

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After reading this I loaded Ultimatebet on a laptop (Windows Vista) that has state of the art security and had no problem, nor have I had any virus alerts on my desktop (XP) which is where I play poker primarily. I was at Ultimatebet for a number of hours tonight because that blasted BBJ is so high right now. :D

I use IE8 on both systems.

Hmmm...what version of IE are you using, Nick?

I'm on IE8, but the problem has been solved... I guess.

Tried again tonight and it loaded fine this time and got regged for the Saturday game. No idea what caused the original problem... maybe a glitch of some kind at the time I tried earlier.

Now all I have to do is remember to play a game on a site I don't usually go to... :p

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm on IE8, but the problem has been solved... I guess.

They could have had an infected page which was either fixed or taken down. Many web pages have javascript code embedded in them which contain virus code. When IE downloaded that code into its temporary folder for processing, your virus scanner may have caught it at that point and quarantined it before it could cause any harm.

If you do a full scan of your system and nothing comes up and you don't notice any other odd behavior on your system, then you are probably OK. Just keep your eyes open over the next few days.

Glad to hear you are back in business! :)

-Dave