Swap Holdem Variant

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys. Has anyone tried swap holdem on stars? I think it's my new favorite poker variant. It's holdem except you can swap 1 or 2 of your cards, once, at any point (pre or post). It's been a ton of fun so far.

Would be cool to have a cardschat gathering with playchips to play some swap holdem :)

R

Rybod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds interesting actually.. do the other players know if you swap or not ?

or is it hidden to the other players ?

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds interesting actually.. do the other players know if you swap or not ?

or is it hidden to the other players ?
They do know and they also see how many cards you swap. The cards themselves are not revealed, but I think it would be a cool twist if they were because it would add an element similar to 7 card stud where you see a lot of information out on the table in the form of dead outs. Some great bluffs possible but I only played playchip so success rate of those bluffs is minimal. I expect in more fishy games that bluffing would only happen in very few situations since this game is more polarized than holdem. You have to also be careful as average hand strength at showdown goes up a bit, but from my playing so far it's not a super huge jump in hand strength (but i think that's just variance + people playing any 2 and I should be seeing many more stronger showdowns in a more serious game).

The complexity this adds to holdem strategy is very interesting. It feels like a sort of crossbread between draw, PLO, and holdem to me.

It feels like positional advantage is amplified in terms of seeing how many cards players before you swap and if they swap at all, but also negated by the fact that swapping increases preflop hand strength. 3 bet dynamics are definitely very interesting. You can swap 1 card and 4bet or shove as a bluff for example (repping KK or AA).

I'm always on the lookout for holdem variants that either lower variance or increase skill edges enough to iron out variance, I'm curious to see where swap holdem falls in that regard. The variance seems lower than PLO so far but I could be mistaken. Maybe a hi-lo variant of this would be spicy.

Also, they should have just called it texas swap'em.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also you cannot fold before you try swapping so this gives in position players extra information about hand strength via card removal.

I think this variant has huge potential for going mainstream if more people become aware of it. It's a total blast to play.

S

Schrubbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont have it on my main cclient so far , but i played it on my phone and its alot of fun and pretty skill based, this is gonna be popular soon i guess ^^

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont have it on my main cclient so far , but i played it on my phone and its alot of fun and pretty skill based, this is gonna be popular soon i guess ^^

Definitely agree it will be popular.

Played some more just now and I'm realizing it's pretty easy to hand read someone having a set or 2 pair lol.

Also, extra blockers to think about if you swap cards is really cool :D, wonder if there is some practical use for swapping just to see an extra blocker card.

Then there is the fact that you can narrow ranges down preflop more accurately thanks to one card being swappable (this creates a measurable card removal effect if enough people throw out low cards).

Lots of cool strategies to discover playing this.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! If you mean the Draw poker, after Texas Hold'em is entertaining as with a new toy, but this form of poker is more suitable for live play (this is my opinion), for this reason I do not play for money in Draw poker, but and I wish you good luck

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This isn't draw poker. It's a new type of holdem with elements of draw poker

It's on pokerstars :)

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From the video I saw on stars (some guy doing a first time play) the games were very soft even at NL10, whole table basically limped pre. Get in on it while it's soft guys

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules