Recently in the news. . .

K

kknutt17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So recently in the news I am sure that everyone has heard about professional poker players using the skills to over-power the competition and win their money. Assuming this is true, my question is would it be safer in tournaments? I mean instead of playing with cash at a tournament where you may be tempted into making a stupid bet or call costing more than you planned; whereas, you could play in low- to medium staked tournaments with a one time buy-in. This way at the tables your just betting chips. . .you can't lose more than you planned because you bought-in to a tournament within your budget.

Any input, or am I just reaching?

J

James Godfrey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is highly recommended for any beginner poker player to start out in tournaments/sit and go's the reason being is that for a one time buy-in you can have an hours worth of entertainment with the possibility of winning some cash.

IMO, I think that tournaments/sit and gos are a lot more profitable these days due to how many beginners play these games.

In my mind I think if you win a sit and go (10 handed) you leave with 5x your buy-in, so for a $10 sng, you will win $50 for 1st.

Now look at the same thing but for ring games (cash games) in a 5c/10c ring game when you sit down with $10 (maximum buy-in), how often will you leave with $50 or more. (Not very often) sometimes you can play a ring game for hours only to be even in the money you had when you started.

So yes tournaments are better.