Not open for further replies.
Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a shame you feel that way about the freerolls Diablo. Our past, and hopefully, future, debates would make it fun to sit down at a table together.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ill play cash, head-up, at a site of your choosing. No less than 100.00 no more than 500.00, freezeout. If you want to play for 500.00, we can play one match, 2 for 250.00, or 5 at 100.00 each. However you like. You are most likely a favorite in this type of game since I'm a live cash game player and you play online, but I'm wiling to gamble.

*edit*

I would like a week of preperation beforehand though, to get used to the software and also realign myself with internet play.

Last edited:
buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
diabloblanco said:
Ill play cash, head-up, at a site of your choosing. No less than 100.00 no more than 500.00, freezeout. If you want to play for 500.00, we can play one match, 2 for 250.00, or 5 at 100.00 each. However you like. You are most likely a favorite in this type of game since I'm a live cash game player and you play online, but I'm wiling to gamble.

*edit*

I would like a week of preperation beforehand though, to get used to the software and also realign myself with internet play.
did you ever think that some people on cardschat dont have much money, ME INCLUDED, if i had the money i give to the doctors after my open heart surgury last year i could be like you,but even then i would still play freerolls>. what you get out of them is EXPERIANCE and like someone else said thats priceless.
buckster436 :pepsi:

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No doubt, and I said that's a valid response. I curious why everyone is getting so miffed about this. Sorry to hear you had heart surgery, I had a major operation 2 years ago after a motorcycle accident and it isn't fun. I simply asked questions man. That's it.

4 dogs made the statement he would like to play against me, and I laid out a proposition. I'm a gambler. I gamble for money. I am talking with him via PM and we may work something out if he wants to for small stakes maybe. Like I said, I gamble for money and that's why I don't (or didn't) get the whole freeroll idea. So I asked.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We'll work something out Diablo. But while I agree that some token amount is in order, the kind of $ your talking about is just not possible, even if I could afford it.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds good, ill PM you and we can work out the details....

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I for one enjoy playing in freerolls although it is harder to play a sane game but I agree that there is alot of crazy play but for me it teaches me how to be patient I dont like the 5000, 10000 people freerolls they just last forever and a day but jetset has a 600 and 1250 when money added freerolls enjoy those, but I have to admit I play about 5 FR a day when not working and I am not to comfy with high buyins in real money tourneys tho I do play up to 5 dollaars buyins lot more sane peeps playin in those buyin range tho u get some koooks who think they still in a freeroll game and plus I running on elvis in the cash department so those little dollars all add up for me not to get rich but a small buyin for a bigger prize yeah right

onebigblue

onebigblue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
diabloblanco said:
Hope nobody takes offense to this, certainly none is intended, but I don't understand the lure of freerolls.

There were a couple threads today that I noticed about people finally winning their first freeroll and remembering their first freeroll win etc., and it got me thinking. What is the impetus for playing for all those hours, angainst players that suck-out pots constantly because they aren't playing with their own money, in order to make just a little less money than it costs to buy a gallon of premium gasoline.

I know I value my time fairly highly, and this seems like such a waste. Three to six hours of play for a couple bucks? No thanks. If you're good enough to make it to the cash against a freeroll field of 700 people, take a couple of dollars even if its only 2 or 3, and go to the micro limits and turn it into 10 in the same amount of time.

I also don't see how it can be beneficial to your game to play against all the donkeys in a freeroll. You have to adjust your style of play for fear that on a flop of 2-7-5, your aces are no good because some wise-ass called your pre flop bet with 7-2. That's an extreme example, but I hear these terrible beat stories all the time fom freaking freerolls. I can't see spending all this time grinding, playing your ass off, risking carpal-tunnel syndrome in your clicking finger for less than enough brass to buy a new mousepad for when you freeroll holes in the one you have.

Another thing I noticed is that the people that play these damn things, play the hell out of them. Not just one or two a month, but several a week or even more than one a day. I can't imagine it. If they took a few bucks to the micro tables and invested that much time into playing for real profit, the could be moving up in the limits in no time. Especially with hours and hours on end of playing. So what's the lure of the almighty freeroll? As far as I can tell its the whole illusion of something for nothing. The only valid reason IMO that I have heard is that some did it to get cash on a site that they couldn't gamble on because of age or other restrictions. Also, has anyone made any real (over 100 bucks or so) money doing this? And if you do win at all, how much have you won total cumulitively and how many hours have you frerolled cumulitively as well (all freerolls combined even losing ones)? Has anyone taken a few freeroll dollars and parlayed them into a real healthy bankroll? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't get it.
i like it because i have 3 kids that can manage 2 stop me in my track at a moments notice if i was playing 4 real money i would be upset but at a freeroll its okay. i also like to try out new theories of play and refine parts of my game with out risk .every thing has a place and purpose if u look 4 it .if your 2 good 4 it and it doesnt fit your nee3ds that great but dont put something down because YOU _DON'T THINK YOU Needit

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read my posts again genious. I wasn't putting anthing down, I was asking questions. Go start trouble somewhere else.

B

biggamer86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mainly do free rolls because im 18 and basically im not going to go depositing on a ton of websites and if you do learn the patience you can always do half decent. The competition in free rolls will have a few actual players once you get past the first break which is always great for practicing against all types even though most are loose players you still get to play against the more conservative types. I'd personally rather do multi table tournaments compared to play money and all that because alot of people wont take it seriously at all even after 2 to 4 hours of playing. Even though i play free rolls mainly I don't care about the money, and i have learned how to play extremely well when i started i was always going out before the first break. Basically i always make it to the top 200 normally in the top 50 now and still i always seem to do better. Managed to win a absolute poker shirt yesterday lol dont know if ill get it i emailed them and they had me verify all my info i dont think you need to make a deposit for the item. But they are free and actually some are very good to do next month bet 365 is having 5 $20,000 free rolls which is actually a hefty sum of money. Definately have to make a deposit though because im not sure of their cash out policy since most have weird ones.

B

bloodspud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree, freerolls take alot of time for little money, but its a start, even if its a dollar, or 3, or 5.its not that im too scared to play with my own money in a cash buy-in game, but , 1. im underage to gamble anyways, and 2. i dont have a way of making a deposit until i can varify my firepay acc.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some really good reasons here as far as the age thing etc. I completely understand that angle, and actually encourage you sharpening your skills while young. Poker is a great tool for the application of mathematical and analytical skills.

HoldemChamp

HoldemChamp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JAMILE1 said:
I for one enjoy playing in freerolls although it is harder to play a sane game but I agree that there is alot of crazy play but for me it teaches me how to be patient I dont like the 5000, 10000 people freerolls they just last forever and a day but jetset has a 600 and 1250 when money added freerolls enjoy those, but I have to admit I play about 5 FR a day when not working and I am not to comfy with high buyins in real money tourneys tho I do play up to 5 dollaars buyins lot more sane peeps playin in those buyin range tho u get some koooks who think they still in a freeroll game and plus I running on elvis in the cash department so those little dollars all add up for me not to get rich but a small buyin for a bigger prize yeah right
I agree with you there. Although I don't play the 1250 all that much. I end up having a private freeroll or something else going on at the time.

The 1:30 $100 I almost never miss. Still working on coming higher in the money. Slowly but surely. And then the final table will be mine. :D

Devilpoker78

Devilpoker78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HoldemChamp and Jamile1 whats your nicks in jetset? I didnt know u guys played there. I was in the $100 last night. Couldnt catch a flop all night but made it to top 20% finally blinds were killing me and I bet all in on the flop with top pair, got called by moron with A high. I actually had notes on this old lady and I knew she had nothing even before she turned over her cards. Flop 3-4-5, she caught her 2 on u know where. Typical. :(

Thewebmaster

Thewebmaster

Freeroll #2 Winner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This one is worth a go :)

Hi again,
Ok forget the hours playing for a few bucks cos paradise poker just set a new freeroll record, get this...1st place pays a million bucks, how much more of a freeroll do you want :)
Good luck :)

Tony ( The Webmaster )
P.S. Final table will be taken to play live in front of TV camera's.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a fixed number of entrants for this mega-payout freeroll or is it an unlimited field? If it happens to be the latter, I can only imagine the size of the field that a million dollar prize pool will generate. Unless its a multiple day event, better stock up on No-Doze and fresh coffee, you're going to ned it.

Who knows maybe this size cash payout will actualy attract players that want to do well, thus avoiding a 2 hour all-in festival in the beginning. Good luck to anyone that's playing.

MicheleW

MicheleW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just went over to Ultimate Bet and played in a freeroll with 4900+ players. No one serious there. LOL Went out early on a A high flush draw. He I raised and he went all in with pair of q's. I missed the draw - and he won. No biggie, rather that than play for 4 or 5 hours and lose. I don't care for really large numbers of entrants. I don't play my usual game in those types of freerolls.

*That should have been he raised, I re-raised and he went all in.

The Million Dollar freeroll at Paradise I think has a max of 4000 players. I'm used to that number playing at Paradise. U/B was my first time playing - not used to the software yet.

Last edited:
Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Diablo, as hard as it is for you to believe, all freerolls attract good players. It's just hard to tell who they are with all the noise. If you dont like the idea of playing against a field of 4000, wait 10 minutes and play against 2000.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL, ill have to keep that in mind. First I have my sights aimes squarely at you though. One challenge at a time man. If I make it out of our match with my shirt on, ill venture more into the online world. I've just got so much live action that I know I can clean up on going on all around me. A rounder friend of mine called me today about a 10/20 at the local country club that is supposedly a cake walk. Were gonna go tomorrow night, ill let you know when I get back. Should be some money in that room. If online goes as I hope it will, I'm going to go 100% poker for a while and see how I do with it as a ful time grind. Online during the day and when there's no live action and cardrooms the rest of the time. Ahhh, the life.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know, I'm starting to get sick of the freerolls myself. I just spent 4 hours playing a 2000 player tournament just to miss making a crappy $1.00 by 3 places. I have got to get a life. Anything good on tv these days?

~~Shelynn~~

~~Shelynn~~

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree

:congrats: I agree with most of you all,but also find in some tourneys that you have the ones that have a big chip lead,throw it in your face,just to get you to fold. I might have a pretty good hand but then they hit you with a raise that takes all or most your chips. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose,but it's hard to back down with good hands. I find a lot of players in freerolls play it just like play money,I play like it's my own money. Like first hand I had a pair 10's every one except last 2 to the dealler went all in ,all folded except those 2 one had 2 3 off suit the other 9 5 off suit,the flop was k 7 10, 4, A,7 ,this was such a waste and really aggravated me,but was really cool when they both got busted and the game went well after that,got to play some cards then.:goodnight

T

thebiscuit77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
another reason for playing free-rolls is the difficulty with some banks. i've actually tried to deposit $ with a site or two to get started, but it's been hard to do. so, playing free-rolls gets you started, and then you can build that $ by playing low-limit, and then going from there...

A

AusRyan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing a few freerolls lately just to get the hang of the online software and whilst i set up my netteller account. I have to agree... the play in these tournaments doesn't represent play with actual money. Some of the moves i have seen are just ridiculous... but oh well i like to think i am learning "something" (hopefully not too many bad habits) and might be able to get a few $ to muck around with in the meantime.

R

ruffcut68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Cash and Experience

Yes the tables are VERY LOOSE
but if you can manage to play whatever style use and get in the money
then more power to you.

Also there are people with absolutely no money that like to play (ME INCLUDED) even to play at a 2/4c no limit table you should have a bank roll of at least 300X th BB so that is 300 x .04= $12.00 buck to sit at the table.
then that should only be 3% of your bank roll so that is $400

That is my take anyhow. Any input or correction wil be appreciated.
So My goal is simply to build the bankroll from only Free Rolls
Was up to $4 made a mistake down to zero now 31cents

Now that experience cost me only my time and the 4 bucks that I won so it is also good experience managing your bank roll. Even at micro amounts because the same principles apply to your principal

Status
Not open for further replies.