Poker in Paris a Trip Report

morgancapecod

morgancapecod

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I am an American living in Paris for two months with my wife. We came to see the sights and to play lots of poker. We rented an apartment in Montmatre close to Cercle Clichy, the only cardroom currently open in the city. We are recreational players, we play a weekly home game and also several times a year at Foxwoods. We went to Las Vegas the last few years for three months at a time to play poker, mostly 1/2 and 1/3. This TR will mostly be poker related with a few pics of Paris thrown in.

Cercle Clichy is small cardroom in Montmatre. About 15 cash game tables, 10 tournament tables and a handful of BJ. The membership is 80 € a year. Kind of expensive. Woman are free which was a nice surprise for the wife.

Rake is a bit high but not near as bad as others have said. Most pots at 1/2 are raked 3-7€, close to Caesar's and when you consider tipping is not common it's definitely beatable. There is also a 1€ per hour time charge at 1/2.

The atmosphere is nice, dealers are competent. The players are what you'd expect at a typical 1/2. Many short stacks, lots of limpers. Saw alot of family pots, calling down 2nd pair, etc.

Not much a drinking going on. Drinks are not comped. About 7€ for a ****tail. I'm used to Vegas where most of the table is drinking.

It is in a heavy traffic tourist area. Big movie theatre and restaurants all around. I've never felt unsafe leaving there and walking to the apartment at 3am.

The most interesting thing for me is the dealers choice games they have running. They look very juicy. Of course Omaha and 08 but also Double Flop Holdem, 5 card Omaha Hi/Lo, Courchevel Hi/Lo, and Super Stud. I believe they are all played with blinds and no limit. I will report back when I have played in this game.

I speak very little French and I have had no problem following the action. Most players and dealers speak English and will help you if you any questions.

Overall a very unique experience and would recommend playing there if you are in Paris.