natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In Massachusetts and Rhode Island there is a group called Eastern poker tour. It is bigger in Rhode Island and southeast Massachusetts, but reaches as far west as Worsester, Ma.
They run tournaments every evening at a different Pub on the different days of the week. These are free to play in, all that is asked is you purchase the buffet from the pub.
They have excellent prizes, including trips to wsop in Vegas. I am a member but have yet to participate in any of the games. Waiting for them to get a little closer to my hometown in Ct. I do follow the results of the games online and through the newsletters. There are some games with about 20 participants and then some with 40-50.
I suggest anyone in the vicinity of Worcester, Ma. to Providence, RI, and to the Cape check it out at easternpokertour.com
They also have some excellent charity events, cash buy ins, the newest is $10,000 guarantee.
Really worth a looksee

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Illegal to set up tournaments playing for cash in canada? Actually you can set up touranemtns.... but there are alot of restrictions/guidelines (there's a book you can get for it).
My nextdoor neighbour sets up tournaments in the small town I live in, and we get 100+ entrants twice a month with between $55 & $75 buyin. He's been running these for a long time and knows all the details. If you have questions (ie. where to obtain the guidelines/restrictions from) I could go nextdoor & ask him. He also holds some other tournaments here (aside from these regular ones)...ie. putting one on for the local hockey team as a fund raiser.... buyin was $100 and had over 150 entrants (a percentage of the prizepool has to go towards the hockey team... knowing him it's the bare minimum, lol).
Kinda cool having a neighbour in his 60's who's been playing poker for longer than I have (45+ yrs. for him), having put on numerous tournaments all over the place and having worked previously as a cardroom mgr. He's an online freak now as well... plays on a 50" plasma, kicked back on the couch. Also cool to have someone close by to bash around poker ideas... HH's, etc.

I'm sure you get something going as far as tournaments go in Canada... just some loopholes & hoops to jump through (ie. another one is.. you have to have dealers for each table, it's against the law to have the players deal at the table). We're lucky enough to have over a dozen who will volunteer here, although some of them have had to be schooled along the way.

With running a tournament league with a big prize as the main deal. I think you could run into problems if there's a couple of players who get way ahead of the rest in the pts. standings and could result in interest dropping off for the others. Maybe you can do a combination of prizes.... some being a bar tab or $$'s... and part going into a prizepool for final league prize??

What area are you in? Umm.... are you my neighbour??

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Off topic.. OP..what is tigergaming because one of my email addresses is receiving emails from them... without my consent or request. Wondering where they originated from.....

Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
old news

I used to play in WPT amatuer league religiously back in the summer time(2009). I quit playin after i made it to the championships and this guy was playing the worst cards (he showed 9 4 off twice). no one would stand up to him and i eventually did and he hit a 3 outter on me.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just hooked up with The Poker Pub league out here in Phoenix. I already have won an invite to one of their monthly championship tourneys.

J

jonathanm

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Riverchasers.com

These guys are big in Pa.One of the very 1st "bar poker" organizations.Jim Doll is the owner.Contact them and they can help w/ all questions you have concering start up and operation.Jim is a good guy , tell him jonathan the caddie told you to contact him.I havent spoken to him in some time but he'll remember me .He can help you out w/ what you need to know.

jonathan

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My buddy's a bartender and he does this every sunday. You play free and the bar kicks in $100 for the pot. You can get chips by buying drinks, which boosts their sales.