Most reliable room for holdem tournaments?

N

namvet84

Guest
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Total posts
3
Chips
0
I haven't played online for cash yet but considering my success with playmoney at pacificpoker.com I'd like to give it a try. I've heard that PP is a subpar system though (I've had it done to me when I was effectively all in), so what sites are there with a similar system yet more reliable?
 
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Total posts
13,642
Chips
0
well i don't know what you mean by similar system; all sites are pretty much the same just look different
BUT there are some sites that are significantly better than others
stick to the big name ones: Fulltilt, partypoker(though some would vouch against it), UltimateBet, and pokerstars, considered #1 by most.
do NOT deposit into pacific...it's one of the worst clients out there


edit: (i mean no offence by this, it's just a common thing that happens) most people who learn to play through play money usually develop bad habits that will KILL you in real money games
so my suggestion is start off at a lower limit and work your way up...start lower than where you'd think you could play and feel it out
 
Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Champion
Joined
May 21, 2005
Total posts
13,284
Awards
9
Chips
1
I did quite well at the play money tables, particulaarly PokerStars & thought I had a solid game that maybe needed a little fine tuning, so I deposited a little money and boy did I get fine tuned. LOL. The way people play costs them way more money than any random screwups by the site software. Spend some time here reading the various posts & threads on anything from how to play to where to play, to what to play; then pick a site, a game, & a limit . Play a few games & you will hopefully find yourself asking not just did I win or lose but how & why did I win or lose. If you really like poker & want to improve there is a wealth of information available here & a bunch of knowledgable, friendly, folks willing to share their love of poker with you. Plus you can go look at BBB's avatar anytime you want.
 
F

Freakakanus

Legend
Joined
Mar 26, 2005
Total posts
3,349
Chips
0
Why not try Titan and join some Cardschat events, that way you can count on some quality opponents that will help you with your game.
 
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Total posts
13,642
Chips
0
:withstupi

im such a donk

of course you could also take a peek at Titan, which is sort of cardschat's unofficial home site
we host alot of tourneys there which are alot of fun, and feature a much better level of play than that jungle out there

thats where i have all of my personal online $$
 
t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Joined
May 20, 2005
Total posts
6,914
Awards
1
Chips
0
I would say pokerstars. I have yet to have connection problems there. The also have a FPP (Frequent Player Points) that you can use to enter into exclusive freerolls (which aren't really free since you need points to do it).
 
DESSERTLADY

DESSERTLADY

Legend
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Total posts
2,913
Chips
0
Kenzie 96 said:
I did quite well at the play money tables, particulaarly PokerStars & thought I had a solid game that maybe needed a little fine tuning, so I deposited a little money and boy did I get fine tuned. LOL. The way people play costs them way more money than any random screwups by the site software. Spend some time here reading the various posts & threads on anything from how to play to where to play, to what to play; then pick a site, a game, & a limit . Play a few games & you will hopefully find yourself asking not just did I win or lose but how & why did I win or lose. If you really like poker & want to improve there is a wealth of information available here & a bunch of knowledgable, friendly, folks willing to share their love of poker with you. Plus you can go look at BBB's avatar anytime you want.

Kenzie,
I did the same thing when I first deposited on Paradise 2-3 years ago. I thought I got game lol oooo boy was I wrong :D I went through my $25. deposit in less than 2 weeks. I guess that isn't to awful bad I'm sure there has been some that went through that much in a day. LOL
 
starfall

starfall

Visionary
Joined
Oct 7, 2005
Total posts
574
Chips
0
I started on PartyPoker - plenty of fish on there, but I still lost most of my money playing HoldEm... nearly ran out before clearing the 100% bonus...
When I switched to Pacific I'd started playing Omaha High/Low (using strategies based on Play Poker Like The Pros advice), and started doing a LOT better.
Pacific's not a bad site to start out at for real money, since there are micro-limit cash games which aren't so dissimilar to the (abysmal) level of play on the Play Money tables...
I'd recommend trying some low-stakes SitNGos, $1/$2 tournaments, or micro-limit ring games - work your way up gradually - and remember to make sure you're playing at stakes your bankroll can afford.

All of my friends who play online for money started out on the play money tables, and won at those, then switched to real money and lost money on average over their early sessions. Those that are willing to play to some kind of strategy are now in profit, but I'm saying it to impress the idea that most so it's not all bad, you just need to play better than on the Play Money tables. On the plus side, bluffs almost never work on Play Money tables, but a well-timed one (against the right opponent) becomes a nice addition to your poker arsenal once you make the switch to real money - personally I try to avoid the temptation to play on play money tables as they're not as much fun as the psychological warfare that takes place on good cash tables.
 
zinzan1000

zinzan1000

Legend
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Total posts
1,716
Chips
0
namvet84 said:
I haven't played online for cash yet but considering my success with playmoney at pacificpoker.com I'd like to give it a try. I've heard that PP is a subpar system though (I've had it done to me when I was effectively all in), so what sites are there with a similar system yet more reliable?

Some good advice from the other posts namvet84.
Real money can be a world away from playmoney.

You could click the bonuses tab here at Cardschat to find out more about which sites offer what.
If you do decide to use any of the listed sites there, it could be a good idea to do so through this forum as both you and the forum would benefit.

zinzan1000 be lucky
 
bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Joined
May 22, 2005
Total posts
10,637
Awards
1
Chips
0
DESSERTLADY said:
Kenzie,
I did the same thing when I first deposited on Paradise 2-3 years ago. I thought I got game lol oooo boy was I wrong :D I went through my $25. deposit in less than 2 weeks. I guess that isn't to awful bad I'm sure there has been some that went through that much in a day. LOL

Two weeks? You were playing some good poker then. Took me two days to go through my first deposit.
 
DESSERTLADY

DESSERTLADY

Legend
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Total posts
2,913
Chips
0
bubbasbestbabe said:
Two weeks? You were playing some good poker then. Took me two days to go through my first deposit.

BBB,

Not sure if it was good poker or fear of losing all my deposit. Come to think of it I think it was the latter. :D
 
Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules
Top