Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have been experiencing quite a stretch of bad luck lately. The only times in the last couple of weeks I haven't run into what seems like an inordinate number of suckouts & bad beats are at the CC sponsored games. Haven't necessarily done that well here either, but bad play against good players explains that. I normally play $2 & $5 jackpot sit & ievego's on Titan, $5 or $6 s& G's on pokerstars, or $3 & $5 S&G's at King Solomon, similar results no matter where I play. I don't believe the sites are out to get me, but playing what I consider to be relatively solid poker has been costing me money.Finally said the hell with it & bought in to a $20 6 seat S&G aat Titan, & a $50 6 seat S&G at King Solomon. As it happens I won both games but the larger point is the quality of play seemed much closer to what I am used to at CC events, that is to say skill & decent cards had much more to do with the outcome than dumb luck. The play at the lower limit S&G's seems to be approaching what I used to see at play tables. Of course it could just be that I am playing looser than I think I am. Any thoughts?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
No, I think you've hit the nail on the head, Kenzie. I for one know that I am a much tighter player than I used to be, and a bit more skilled, especially since joining CC. I find the same type of situations happening to me as well. I usually play the same types of games as you, with the same result a lot of the time. It can get really frustrating, and down right disgusting at times.

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am of a similar mind, though on a smaller scale. I was playing SnGs in the $2 range and found I wasn't doing that well, but doing well enough elsewhere to support my bankroll and eventually a move up in stakes. I've found that I do much better in the $5 SnGs on Titan, and I would guess there would be a similar impact the next level up too (beyond that, I'd expect that increased skill level would start to hurt rather than help).

I'd bet that you're right, you need to find places with good enough poker that your play is respected and you can execute good strategies. Sometimes that's up a level, sometimes it's another site or a different game. But you're on the right track I think!

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks for the input Juicee & Beriac. Just for the hell of it I went to King Solomon & bought in to a 10 seat $5 S&G; played well & finished just out of the money. Guy followed me all the way to all in with K6 suited hit runner, runner for theflush. Went to the $20 10 seater & finished in the money. Saw some bad beats but after the first couple of guys went out strong play & actually was able to rob a few blinds with aggresive betting. Guess I will try these levels for a while & see what happens. Thanks again for your thoughts.

~~Shelynn~~

~~Shelynn~~

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to agree with you all on subject. I've played better since I've been on CC. Think you have to find where your comfortable and confident in playing.

S

shwingzilla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is why I don't play six handed games against donks. 10 person sit and gos at 2-5 dollars at noble have been pretty good to me lately. Play tight, respect your opponents bets, bluff occasionally (when you are absolutely sure your opponent will fold, not when you think he SHOULD fold), by the end you should have near biggest stack, where you can loosen up and start stealing blinds and pots. You don't learn a lot about poker, but by really paying attention to my opponents it has taught me the discipline needed to read an opponent. I don't really have the bankroll to play 50 dollar buy ins, (i got like a 200 dollar bankroll, being a college student at all) but I'm working my way up.

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kenzie, judging by the way you play, I think you will do much better at the $10 SNGs than the lower ones. You will at least get SOME (still some crazies)respect for your raises which will help with the suckouts. If your bankroll will allow you to, why dont you try a set amount and see if they treat you better than the lower limits. I know when I moved up from those I did much better.

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kenzie 96 said:
I have been experiencing quite a stretch of bad luck lately. The only times in the last couple of weeks I haven't run into what seems like an inordinate number of suckouts & bad beats are at the CC sponsored games.

Exactly why we need more CC events....quality play guaranteed!

T

truushot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is important to play for stakes that mean something to the people your playing against. Playing low limit or micro games, that don't effect the players so they can play horribly and not feel bad about it. So you should play as high as your bankroll allows. Unless of course your already playing 3/6 limit or 2/4 NL.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
truushot said:
So you should play as high as your bankroll allows.

lol i'm sorry but NOT the best advice
just because people play with more respect for their money when it's a higher limit game definitely does not mean you should be playing at those stakes.
jumping up the stakes ladder can be disastrous for your bankroll
i understand what you're getting at but not all people can survive at those limits of poker

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Threesixes said:
setteled, judging by the way you play, I think you will do much better at the $10 SNGs than the lower ones. You will at least get SOME (still some crazies)respect for your raises which will help with the suckouts. If your bankroll will allow you to, why dont you try a set amount and see if they treat you better than the lower limits. I know when I moved up from those I did much better.
Thanks, 6's. Settled on $10 shorthanded [5 seat S&G"s]. Playing very tight early & middle part of tourneys, paying attention to position, folding to even small raises unless I have very good cards, I aggresively bet top hands but if flop doesn't hit me I am looking for reasons to fold rather than trying to steal pots. When the flop hits, ie; top pair, A kicker or some such I continue to bet aggresively. So far this style has been getting me some respect late in game, final 2 or 3, and then I loosen up & take advantage so I am stealing blinds when they are high. I have cashed 8 in a row,but more to the point,I have something resembling a plan that I am following & can hopefully adjust when the results don't prove to be so satisfactory. By the way 6's have a great time in Vegas. It is my understanding that as a loyaler if you should happen to lose all your money at the tables you can PM Nick for plane fare home. You might want to double check that, but if it's not true it should be.

Freak, I agree 100%.

w

Last edited:
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good job kenzie
glad you found a successful playing style + limit.
hope you hold up and hit cash more often than not!

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
ChuckTs said:
lol i'm sorry but NOT the best advice
just because people play with more respect for their money when it's a higher limit game definitely does not mean you should be playing at those stakes.
jumping up the stakes ladder can be disastrous for your bankroll
i understand what you're getting at but not all people can survive at those limits of poker
I agree Chuck, I moved up a notch for the competition, but only when my bankroll could take the hit. If you can't afford to lose it don't play for it. It's one of the reasons I prefer S&G's to ring games. Even if you go on tilt, or accidentally set down at a table with a bunch of Sharks from CC, you know the maximum amount you can lose.

Last edited:
C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have come to the conclusion that we just have no option but to accept the fact we will be sucked out on time after time unless we go in with the stone cold nuts. I have come to accept the fact the beats are gonne keep coming

Last night

AK lost to AJ

88 lost to Q3

Oh and about 3 players hit the mircales inside straight on me, calling pot bets with 4 outs on the turn

Saying that, my AA, KK QQ and JJ all held up!

S

shwingzilla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
colin_147 said:
I have come to the conclusion that we just have no option but to accept the fact we will be sucked out on time after time unless we go in with the stone cold nuts. I have come to accept the fact the beats are gonne keep coming

Last night

AK lost to AJ

88 lost to Q3

Oh and about 3 players hit the mircales inside straight on me, calling pot bets with 4 outs on the turn

Saying that, my AA, KK QQ and JJ all held up!

Yea, my Ak didn't hold up against AT either.

As for sit&gos, I think you can play a little looser at the beginning because of the small blinds. That is to say hands like A-x suited and low pocket pairs can be played because if you hit your flush/set, you're in, and if you don't, fold and you haven't really lost that much. Also if you're going to play tight ten handed tables give you more of an advantage because you don't face the blinds as much and the game lasts longer so a tight strategy pays off better.

DESSERTLADY

DESSERTLADY

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I finally tried my hand at a $5. sit n go at Paradise yesterday. 1st one I have played on there in about 2 years I do believe. It was only a 5 person SNG and man the suck outs were awful. I don't have alot of money on there but dang when the cheapest that Paradise has is $5 + $1, that expensive for the cheapest and can go quickly. finished 4th Pffffffttttt:p And it only pays the first 2 places!

I think next one I will play will be a 10 person SNG

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
truushot said:
It is important to play for stakes that mean something to the people your playing against. Playing low limit or micro games, that don't effect the players so they can play horribly and not feel bad about it. So you should play as high as your bankroll allows. Unless of course your already playing 3/6 limit or 2/4 NL.
This is so untrue it's not even funny. If I could find a table where the players treat their chips like monopoly money, I'd set up a tent and never leave.

You want stiffer competition? Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
F Paulsson said:
This is so untrue it's not even funny. If I could find a table where the players treat their chips like monopoly money, I'd set up a tent and never leave.

You want stiffer competition? Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

It's only partially untrue, FP, based on my personal experience. The sad truth is, you will find almost as many donks at the higher levels ($5/$10 and up), as you do at the nickel/dime micro rings. You also find a lot of bullies who can afford to try to muscle you out of almost every pot you play if they don't know you, regardless of their own hand strength. And try they will. That's why you have to be absolutely certain you're not playing over your head stakes-wise. If you're more concerned with affordability than the hand you're holding, you're in too deep.

My observation is that 90% of the "players" hanging around the dime/quarter-or-less ring games DO treat their stacks like monopoly money. But you can capitalize if you look for those micro rings that display +60% hand participation and be a rock. You'll take an occasional suckout, but since the maniacs slow down for no one, over the course of a session you can usually turn a profit. There's also a frantic amount of turnover at these tables, so there's constantly someone new joining the game who doesn't know you're a rock.

~~Shelynn~~

~~Shelynn~~

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been trying at Paradise the $5--limit 10 table players with pretty good luck. It pays the top 3 and found that I enjoy playing it more than NL-seems to me like better game play than NL now. Has more serious game play and less of the bull you put up with at times. Of course it's poker and things can change anytime.

DESSERTLADY

DESSERTLADY

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
~~Shelynn~~ said:
I've been trying at Paradise the $5--limit 10 table players with pretty good luck. It pays the top 3 and found that I enjoy playing it more than NL-seems to me like better game play than NL now. Has more serious game play and less of the bull you put up with at times. Of course it's poker and things can change anytime.

Shelynn,
You must be getting some good players that aren't donkies, because the 2 I have played on there I had some real Jackasses on my two tables.

What time of the day are you playing? Because I would like some better competition than what I have seen so far.

RAMMERRRRRRRRR!!!!!! HUGS and Welcome back from Lurk Mode. Missed ya!!!!!

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
RammerJammer said:
It's only partially untrue, FP, based on my personal experience. The sad truth is, you will find almost as many donks at the higher levels ($5/$10 and up), as you do at the nickel/dime micro rings. You also find a lot of bullies who can afford to try to muscle you out of almost every pot you play if they don't know you, regardless of their own hand strength. And try they will. That's why you have to be absolutely certain you're not playing over your head stakes-wise. If you're more concerned with affordability than the hand you're holding, you're in too deep.

My observation is that 90% of the "players" hanging around the dime/quarter-or-less ring games DO treat their stacks like monopoly money. But you can capitalize if you look for those micro rings that display +60% hand participation and be a rock. You'll take an occasional suckout, but since the maniacs slow down for no one, over the course of a session you can usually turn a profit. There's also a frantic amount of turnover at these tables, so there's constantly someone new joining the game who doesn't know you're a rock.
I'm not sure what part of the statement I quoted you think is only partially untrue and why. And I stand by what I wrote.