Lock Poker Acquiring The Cake Network, Leaving Merge

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it's still $500. I wanted to withdraw some but that wouldn't leave me enough there and considering the problems with paying U.S. players, I would prefer smaller checks in case the DOJ seizes something. Wouldn't be the first time a withdrawal got lost in the payment processor black hole.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lock's min cash is $300 not $100. (for US players anyway).

witchywitchy

witchywitchy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can say I am not excited about this..... last night Merge had 14k players on the network while Cake had 2200. I don't really believe the Lock poker players on Merge are as high as 40%, but they are one of the bigger skins on the Merge network.

Weakens the Merge network and really does little to strengthen the Cake network (until the software improves). How many cash players will be willing to put up with the Cake freezes??

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can say I am not excited about this..... last night Merge had 14k players on the network while Cake had 2200. I don't really believe the Lock poker players on Merge are as high as 40%, but they are one of the bigger skins on the Merge network.

Weakens the Merge network and really does little to strengthen the Cake network (until the software improves). How many cash players will be willing to put up with the Cake freezes??

The bolded is my concern. While I much prefer the Merge software it has it's issues too so that is not as big of a concern to me. After PS they all suck lol.

My concern is tournament entries - bad enough as it is and now it will be worse.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
How many cash players will be willing to put up with the Cake freezes??
Personally I haven't ever had a 'freeze-up' on Cake network in past 6-12mos.
In the past I couldn't stand it (due to freeze-ups, etc.) but like I just said, it NEVER does that anymore.

I'm not sure how things will be affected with this purchase/move. But won't many of the players who play on merge via Lock just open accounts on other skins (on merge) now? & won't this just increase player traffic on Cake network? (I don't play much on either)

FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
"Network Downgrade" IMO.

I'm guessing it must have something to do with Merge's cancellation of Lock's April Promotion at the last minute, after they supposedly gave them the thumbs up early on.

FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Didn't remember the name of the tournament, but I do remember they were running satellites for the series of tournaments. Just searched for it, it was called: LOCKOPS, and the tournaments were supposed to begin on May 6th, that is, yesterday. Coincidence?

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I think the network's heavy-handedness in how the skins run their rooms has a lot to do with this decision. However many would argue that's a good thing because they keep the skins mostly honest.

But the way that Merge apparently approved and then changed their mind on the LockOps promotion is pretty crappy too. Lock was getting big enough that I guess they felt they were in a position to chart their own course and not be subject to Merge's whims.

BTW did anyone else other than me totally miss that Lock had signed Annette as a pro? Just discovered that while reading about this deal.

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had read that earlier. Wonder if this was in preparation for the buyout of Cake.

Cake's software has a lot of issues, but I don't have the "freeze" problem. The slow and non-existant updating of their tournament lobbies is unforgiveable. Seems like poker software has gotten worse instead of better over the last 7 years. I don't remember having any issues with software the first few years I played.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cake's software has a lot of issues, but I don't have the "freeze" problem. The slow and non-existant updating of their tournament lobbies is unforgiveable. Seems like poker software has gotten worse instead of better over the last 7 years. I don't remember having any issues with software the first few years I played.

I never have the freeze issue either. And while overall I think Merge is better - Cake's tournament lobbies update 10 times faster than the Merge sites - and for both that is really unforgivable.

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never have the freeze issue either. And while overall I think Merge is better - Cake's tournament lobbies update 10 times faster than the Merge sites - and for both that is really unforgivable.

Interesting. I don't have a major problem with merge lobbies updating, but Cake-omg!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting. I don't have a major problem with merge lobbies updating, but Cake-omg!

Wow - everyone I know who plays at Merge hates that most about them. It takes forever - not even close to Cake. 10 times was an exaggeration - but realistically maybe 3-5 times longer. Interesting that different people are experiencing it differently - wonder how that works.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Same here....

The Cake main lobby, is understandable, whereas the Merge lobby is a mess.

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both lobbies update slow for me. I have a brand new computer with i7 6G. I have the most recent updates. Yet it takes a few seconds for the games to update and reflect # of people.

I prefer Merge just for the # of games and # of people, plus they actually have SNG running regularly, and supposedly the cashouts are better.

On Cake it seems like my only option was to play cash games and the occasional tournament, and I always played with the same people, plus min cash was $500 which was going to take me forever since I started with $20. I got to $250 and sold most of my roll off.

FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Both lobbies take some time to update for me, but Cake's is worse. Besides, sometimes at Cake, at the beginning of a tournament, the whole room freezes up, so I have to close it down and then open it again and login to start playing it.

smokeme

smokeme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think theres anything wrong wit either sites. all the same poker to me. but i rather have RB then VIP

DINGO8MYBABY

DINGO8MYBABY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's face it: they both kinda suck, and they'll probably suck together no differently than sucking separately.

smokeme

smokeme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
iono why u say they suck theres a call button raise button and fold button all u need no? as long as it doesnt freeze up like playin at betonline. lame ass site lol sorry for the dis but damm it freezez.

Mentor

Mentor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My problem with Merge's lobby is that it is so cumbersome. I absolutely hate their "priority" sticker; the top of the lobby is so cluttered. The filters are terrible too. Cake has them beat there. I do remember (at some point when I played on Cake more often) the SNG lobby not updating very well, which was annoying.

I dunno, I think this could be a big flop, or it could be the start of something good. Neither party is big enough to be a stand-alone network at this point, but together, it could be sustainable. Time will tell. As a player, I'm just crossing my fingers.

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luckily being from the UK I dont have to play on Merge but I do agree that the lobby is horrendous and the filters are a joke, and Cake's lovvy is not far behind for horrendousness :mad:

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So if this deal were to go through, Lock would gain control of cake network and Cake and intertops would be forced to split off on there own?? Is that what someone said? Why would that be?

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep on trying to make a account on Cake, but every-time I click "make new account" or "sign up" it says unexpected error.

Is it because this or something else?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So if this deal were to go through, Lock would gain control of cake network and Cake and intertops would be forced to split off on there own?? Is that what someone said? Why would that be?

Not the way I read it. Lock moves to, and now controls the Old Cake Network. Some mention of new software in the very near future.

It would not be extreme to think that the recent notice of Itops not registering NEW us accounts, along with a Cake problem mentioned below, to be associated with this change. If serious changes are coming, no one would want to complicate things by changing the field in the middle of changing the network.

Just MHO.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The deal has already gone through. Lock moved to and took over the Cake Poker Network (now called Revolution Gaming Network) on May 31st. Intertops is still a skin on the network, but Lock doesn't control them.

The Intertops US restriction is strictly Intertop's decision, not Lock's or Revolution's. In fact, Lock announced that they were dropping many of the state restrictions that the Merge network had implemented, with IIRC players from Utah now being the only ones prohibited from signing up. But Lock will apparenty let skins runs much more autonomously than Merge did, and make their own decisions for things like this. So for whatever reasons, Intertops chose to restrict their signups while Lock actually relaxed theirs, all on the same network.

DaPirate

DaPirate

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OMG I really need to get on and read more.. Totally had my head in the sand on this one even when I got an email/spam. I always did good on cake network but the sites I did good at there, dropped the US players...