Late Tourament Help!

Sammyv1

Sammyv1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
O.K. I play in a lot of tournaments. Free Rolls and smaller buy ins. I am a tight player. I do not play in a lot of hands. I'm finding this happening to me many times. This was my situation today. I'm in a 1000 person tournament. There are 90 people left. The Blinds are 150/300. I have $3000 in chips and the next lowest stack at the 10 person table is $7000. I'm playing tight and the rest of the table is very aggresive. I am getting crap cards FOLD FOLD FOLD FOLD. I am in jeapordy of getting blinded out. These players go all in on almost every hand and there always seems to be a caller. It seems futile to bluff because of all the calling and I am the low stack at the table. Anyone have any general strategy Ideas to help out my situation?

By the way: in todays tourney I checked in the big blind with Q7 Flop was Q,9,Q turn was 7 . I was All in He turned over Q9 I was out at 73rd place. Just thought Id share.

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like you are playing a bit too tight.

You need to keep an eye on the average stack and try not to let that get too far ahead of you. Don't worry if you do get behind, though and start trying to catch up with really bad hands.

You need to use position and steal the odd pot, specially when the blinds are high in relation to stack size. If people are going in most hands then it sounds like the tournament players or the structure are making it a crapshoot so I wouldn't worry too much. In those tournaments there isn't room for any play and its down to luck anyway.

Sammyv1

Sammyv1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the insight Grumbledook! You always have some good advise. I'll try to steal some blinds in position next time! Maybe in our freeroll today! Dont tell anyone else that though O.K.>>> HAHAHAHA

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a fine line to tread to giving your chips away and getting some more, but like I said the average chip count is something to measure yourself against. Better to go out betting than to get blinded off.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yesterday i folded three kings cause the guy went all in and there was four diamonds on the table>there was another guy who called with junk >he did have the flush and i would have been out>it was a hard lay down but im glad i did it and i came in fourth and got 4 bucks <<better four bucks than nothing>> LOL>>. but some time you have to loosen up>.i did it cause i wanted fourth and the four dollars>.buckster436

E

edfree1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i have this same problem in freerolls. i think alot of people are just playing for luck instead of skill.

max_barry

max_barry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think tha losing with that boat was very unlucky, however i agree that when in position steal some blinds and build up your chips. Play tight but not too tight and make sure that you change gears at the right time. Thats my advice.

C

CHAD8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Max, In the freerolls @ UB it's improtant to be tight for the 1st hour or maybe 2 (depends on the amount of players left after an hour) but there comes a time when u need to shift gears or bring out your jeckel in u, and go get some of those chips. At least thats my opinion. O by the way SAMMY being beat in the hand that u described in your post is a whole lot better than being beat by 1 of the thousands of guys calling with nothing against a good hand and being out drawn. I would of played that hand of yours the same as u did. Thats poker for ya :vroam:

PEACE

CHAD8

sorcerer_

sorcerer_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
edfree1 said:
i have this same problem in freerolls. i think alot of people are just playing for luck instead of skill.
I totally agree with you ... in freerols, most of it in the first hour, many players play just for luck and no skill ... and sometimes, they get that luck and could even happen to get you out of the tourney ...

B

bakl68

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Stealing some blinds in these tourneys is a must, esp. when they get big. I think Jennifer Harman said on WPT several weeks ago, "If you aren't getting your hand caught in the cookie jar once in a while, you ain't playing poker." And Grumble's right -- better to go out blazing and betting than blinded.

B

bobbymac48

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to steal some blinds. I used to play tight but have loosened up a lot. You have to learn not to be afraid when bets and blinds get higher. As for those guys who go all in, try to catch them when they are bluffing or on draw. Keep track of how many times they go all in. They cant be that lucky to have a hand every time. I recently had a guy that had went all in a bunch of times in a tourney. I had a pair of kings and called . He went all in on a bluff with 2-3. Needless to say he got caught big time.