Late Registration to scheduled tournys?

Y

yogi90

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there any penalty for this besides probably going in against guys 2/3 times the amount of your stack? I only mention this because I just played a scheduled tournament and I guess late reg was up to a hour passed when it actually started. The guys who came in towards the closing of late registration ended up being 3rd highest chip stack.
Oh the site is bodog btw.

Shady Vision

Shady Vision

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience late reg has its advantages and disadvantages. Firstly, by coming in late you are coming in to higher blinds with the same starting chip stack. On the plus side, you can avoid some of the donky shovefest that comes in early levels of a tourney, on the downside you can the payoff from the donky shovefest that comes in early levels of the tourney.

IMO, late reg is -EV. YMMV

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Is there any penalty for this besides probably going in against guys 2/3 times the amount of your stack? I only mention this because I just played a scheduled tournament and I guess late reg was up to a hour passed when it actually started. The guys who came in towards the closing of late registration ended up being 3rd highest chip stack.
Oh the site is bodog btw.
Yes. You'll have a shallower stack (less bb's).

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They need to be lucky, pick up big hands quickly, and increase their stacks before being blinded out, with low fold equity and for sure a negative EV.