DID I MAKE A MISTAKE????

T

THEDONGERINNY

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
SO i finish 14th out of the 2700 man freeroll this 240 am tourny..... i missed opportunity with my chipstack near 179000 with blinds at 4000 8000 with 20 or so left in the tourny. this is what i ask u all if i was right or wrong....im third to act after the button by the way. first to act raises to 16000. i myself call with 88 in my hand. next few fold then there is an all in for 52000. fold fold then first to act calls the 52000. HERE I AM PONDERING NOW.......low stack goes all in then a quick call from first to act what i did was fold. lowstack shows jack ten first to act shows 66 of course flop comes up an 8 and then i am pissed for not playing WAS I WRONG FOR FOLDING MY 88?

Last edited by a moderator:
MrDaMan

MrDaMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say no, folding a mid pocket pair if you think your dominated is a good fold. There will be lot's of hands you fold that will flop the nutz after your discard, if you tilt when this happens THAT'S your mistake.

With your chip stack I personally might have called the 52000 all-in, but I don't have enough information on the player who called in position in front of you to say for sure. If he's tight or lucky I fold, if he's an average player someone I have confidence in reading I call, if he's weak and I think I can make him fold I might go all-in.

Hitting the nutz after you fold does suck, but get used to it, don't let it effect your play. Trust your instincts/decisions, folding a mid pair to an all-in and a call of an all-in is NOT a bad decision, it was a good calculated decision. Hitting the nutz post flop is just a coincidence. Stay on your A game forget about it.

HappyHowie

HappyHowie

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that that was a good fold. If neither has a pair, but two overcards, you are an underdog. If one or both have a higher pair, you are a huge underdog. You are not desperate, so why risk your chips on a marginal call.

If you don't see lots of hands that you "would have won" if you hadn't folded preflop, you are playing too loose and probably losing.

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have folded without even really thinking about it, you didn't do anything wrong.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is what is called "results-based thinking," and you have to let it go to play good poker. The flop doesn't matter. You didn't know the flop when you made the decision. If you face that decision 100 times, you'll get 100 different flops.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MississippiMud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it right. Let it go. Don't get caught into the negative thinking around playing the what if game. It will drag you down, throw you into tilt and eat your stack faster than a starving Hyena at a pig roast.

If I chuck em preflop most times by the time the flop hits I don't even remember what cards I had. Tho pocket pairs are harder to forget that others.