I couldn't sleep, so....

T

tranqxility

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got online and looked through random sites for freerolls that were going on... I ended up finding a $25 freeroll at Tropical Poker with like 88 entrants. Top prize was nothing and the money meant nothing either... just felt like wasting some time... turns out, the game lasted nearly 3 hours.

Once I reached the final table I had roughly 70K in chips -- nearest to me had 12K -- literally. It got rough with 3 left as we were all equal in chips for a while. But I caught a few decent hands (decent being J9-suited and K9-off and the like) and the table was extremely tight... so I took advantage. A few hands hit... they got shortstacked with huge blinds... I had good hands when they finally pushed.

When it went heads up my stack was 90K, opponents 25K; my first hand was AK of diamonds... other guy pushed... no need to elaborate.

If you guys haven't played at Tropical Poker, the freerolls may not pay much at all, but they are so easy. But be very very tight in the beginning... as donks will push with bottom pair with no draw nearly every hand.

Gah, my posts sure are long-winded when I've had little sleep.

Attachments

• TropicalPoker_1st_$25Freeroll.JPG
    TropicalPoker_1st_$25Freeroll.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 59
DESSERTLADY

DESSERTLADY

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WTG and Congratulations. Not bad for around 3 hours of poker time.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice one, well done.

Tropical is not a site I know. Do you recommend it ? I gather the competition is soft in the freerolls, does that extend to the cash games too ?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Actually, I find Tropical Poker has some better players in their freerolls (at least the ones I have played). A lot less donkishness going on, and you can enjoy a good game. So, tranqxility, great job! That's a tougher than average field.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But be very very tight in the beginning... as donks will push with bottom pair with no draw nearly every hand.
Nice work dude - it's a good feeling to win. But isn't the above an argument for calling people down with your above-average holdings rather than tightening up?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play freerolls at Tropical Poker all the time. I won $3 for placing 7th in a $50 freeroll last night. The play is much better than most of the freerolls out there.

~~Shelynn~~

~~Shelynn~~

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice one, it was worth staying up for.

T

tranqxility

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice one, well done.

Tropical is not a site I know. Do you recommend it ? I gather the competition is soft in the freerolls, does that extend to the cash games too ?

I'd definitely recommend it for freerolls and small added guaranteed tournaments. The only cash game you'll find is a .01/.02 table going at most times, and if you're lucky you'll find a bigger table... there's just not many players.

I've also played in a couple SnG's and I find that play soft as well. As in the three I've played in I've won two and finished second in the other (all three 10 handed). The basic strategy of being tight in the beginning and aggressive in the money works to a T on Tropical.

Nice work dude - it's a good feeling to win. But isn't the above an argument for calling people down with your above-average holdings rather than tightening up?

If the board is Qh 10h 6d and you're holding AQ-diamonds... and you want to call 3 all-ins, in turn putting you all in.. by all means, go for it. I'll wait until I'm 100% confident I'm going in with the best hand/will ultimately have the best hand by the river.

[Different Tournament:] I pushed all in on a flop of A K 10, rainbow, with trip 10s and got called by 4 callers... 2 had Ace-rag, one had King-rag, and one had JJ.... JJ caught his trips on the river and I went from 3000 chips to 600. I catch TT again next hand and push. I'm called by "JJ" and another donk that survived the prior hand. Flop comes 8JQ and donk two pushes... "JJ" calls... what to do they show? Donk two shows A8 and "JJ" shows a pair of 5's. So I triple up and survive for a few more hands.... actually going out on a good play.

I'm not complaining at all as the play is very good there after the donks are gone... a tad soft, but solid. I'm just giving a couple examples.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice win, bud. Congrats. A win is a win is a win. Great job.

V

vdub04driver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice win congrats on the payout