Heartland Poker Tour - questions

M

MidMoMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 2 at HPT in KC

After a full day of NLHE (played about 10 hours) the previous day, I have to admit I was considering just going home on Day 2 (Saturday). But my reasoning for grinding through was based on several reasons. 1) I was well within my budget, so wasn’t worried about the $, 2) It was a Saturday got nothing to do anyway, 3) the wife warned me if I came home we would go shopping :rolleyes: , 4) I played online and that made me want to play more. Seriously however, it really was all about gaining experience. I was there, I had come to play, the more I played, the more I learned, let’s just keep going.

So I entered the $50 qualifier about a half hour after the tourney started. Overall I played fairly well, I still overplayed some hands and underplayed (didn’t get the value) some too. I was holding my own and after 2 hours or so, was down to 2 tables out of about 120 players. They were giving entries to the $350 main event to the final 11, so essentially I just needed to make the final table. During the last hour I took a beat where I had QQ, but the guy rivered a flush and cut my stack to less than 10 blinds. At the time there were probably 15 players left. So instead of panic mode, I just played tight to try and ’hang on’. It worked! Once we made it to 12 players remaining, one of the players announced he would resign because he could not play in the main event later that day. So he took a couple of hundred bucks and I got the free entry to the MTT. Wooo Hooo! :elefant:

Essentially that’s my first cash in HPT! Boom, I had done it. Needless to say I was very happy although no one really new just how happy I was… I kept my composure.

Next Day 2 – Main Event, damn near.

M

MidMoMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's my recap for Day 2 of the HPT in Kanasas City

Overall the event was a good event for me. About 360 players created around a $20,000 First place prize. I played well again sometimes not getting value for good cards. One specific time occurred when I had AA, I 3 bet the big blind, everybody folded except the small blind who remained my bet. I then went all in, and after tanking for awhile he folded. What I should have done was simply called is reraise and then all in after the flop. I feel then he woulded have went.

Anyway, about 7 1/2 hours of table time, I got knocked out. I had JJ small stack and really was forced to shove. AK called me and of course got the A. I finished about the 58 or 59 spot in the tourny. Unfortunately the cash line was at 39.

Oh well I went deep, very pleased with that. All in all a good 2 days of MTT playing. Easily got in about 16 hours of playing time which if nothing else is great experience.

Up next my summary of the tournament. Thanks