FTP Security Key...!!!

aikindoma

aikindoma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can anyone explain me how it works and is it something needful ?

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are talking about the secure ID card here is how it works. You have a PIN and you have numbers on a card when you enter into FTP you are required to put in your username and PIN+numbers combo these numbers change every 60 seconds making it impossible to crack.

As far as if it is worth it. Well the extra level of security means that your account most likely will never be hacked. If you have a lot of money on there it would most certainly be worth it.

aikindoma

aikindoma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are talking about the secure ID card here is how it works. You have a PIN and you have numbers on a card when you enter into FTP you are required to put in your username and PIN+numbers combo these numbers change every 60 seconds making it impossible to crack.

As far as if it is worth it. Well the extra level of security means that your account most likely will never be hacked. If you have a lot of money on there it would most certainly be worth it.

Yes, I see...!

Thank You

17Fabrizio17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So do you actually have a key as a device in your hand that generates different combinations continuously?

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So do you actually have a key as a device in your hand that generates different combinations continuously?

Dive provided a good link but yes you have a card using on a keychain or sometimes like a credit card and it generates these numbers and sends them back to a server. If someone wanted in they would need to know your PIN and also have access to the card. If you ever lost it you just call FTP and they kill the card.

P

poker d player

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is interesting. Do you know how much they charge for this, if they do. How do you see the code on the key ?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is interesting. Do you know how much they charge for this, if they do. How do you see the code on the key ?

It costs 5,000 FTP's (you can get one that works w cell phone for 3,000FTP).
I think this kinda sucks.... 2,000FTP would be better imo. I can see not making it free (sending them out to 3zillion freestrollers).. but 5,000 pts seems a bit steep to protect your account (when the site should be able to have your account secure enough for ya the day you sign up & deposit.. ie. you make a $200 deposit... your key is in the mail sorta thing).

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this kinda sucks.... 2,000FTP would be better imo. I can see not making it free (sending them out to 3zillion freestrollers).

I agree. It's a lot of FTPs, too much, but it can't be free. Was surprised when you mentioned in my linked thread, that it wasn't much for the piece of mind. Then again, I don't play the kinda stakes that accumulates FTPs all that quickly. So what's cheap for you may not be for me. For me, the PIN (3 cards) is probably plenty good enough. No sites that I know of even have that.

aikindoma

aikindoma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes 3,000 or 5,000 FTP is a lot for a little chip.

500 or 1,000 should be the better size and affordable for most
people. It's also in FTP's interest to keep safety, and should be
offered with both sides interest in mind.

Right now it's a pure elite accessory...!!!

G

Gr3atness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Waste of money, imo.

1) Use a password that is strong and different from any other site you log in to
2) Same goes for your email as if someone hacked that they could retrieve your password
3) Have remember password un-checked on FT for real live people
4) Run anti-virus software, the only danger for someone who follows 1,2 and 3 are keyloggers

There ya go. Common sense and anti-virus software and you will not be hacked.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Waste of money, imo.

1) Use a password that is strong and different from any other site you log in to
2) Same goes for your email as if someone hacked that they could retrieve your password
4) Run anti-virus software, the only danger for someone who follows 1,2 and 3 are keyloggers

^, Pretty sure that's why folks purchase it:confused:

O

onetime

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting

That sounds pretty cool! About actually getting one is probably going to be rather difficult though.I guess I'm just going to have to see what I'm going to do about getting one of these things.Seems like a real cool idea though.I wonder why they didn't think of it sooner?

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this kinda sucks.... 2,000FTP would be better imo. I can see not making it free (sending them out to 3zillion freestrollers).. but 5,000 pts seems a bit steep to protect your account (when the site should be able to have your account secure enough for ya the day you sign up & deposit.. ie. you make a $200 deposit... your key is in the mail sorta thing).

If you have enough money to need this I'm sure 5k points is nothing to you.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you have enough money to need this I'm sure 5k points is nothing to you.

Alot of folks don't bank their points & 5,000ftps doesn't come quickly in MTT play.
I've read stories of players who've posted on a forum about a micro MTT win/cash & then have logged on the following day to discover their account being completely emptied (some people in the poker community will stoop to low levels, stealing small bankrolls & for MANY, even their small bankrolls are prized possessions... ie. $5 online for some reason feels = to $100 in my wallet)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Waste of money, imo.

You missed:

5 - Use the free GUI PIN system.
6 - Use your e-mail address as your login, not your screen name
7 - If possible, use an e-mail address that you don't use for anything else

They'll set you up with a PIN (which is three cards from a standard 52 card deck) for free. You still enter your username and password as normal, then an additional screen comes up showing all 52 cards in the deck. You click on your three in order so it shouldn't be vulnerable to keystroke loggers and the cards are shown in a random order every time so they couldn't even track it by mouse position - someone would have to be streaming video of your screen to crack it.

That's better security than most internet banking systems, FWIW. If you use your e-mail address rather than your screen name and then, if possible, make sure that e-mail address isn't used for anything else then it's one more thing a hacker would have to crack - anyone who plays on the site can find your screen name out.

5000 points might be a bit much for a security key but if that seems like a big amount to you then you probably don't have that much money in your account at risk and the GUI PIN solution combined with the other measures above should be adequate - like I said, most internet banking platforms don't have security that good.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You missed:

5 - Use the free GUI PIN system.
6 - Use your e-mail address as your login, not your screen name
7 - If possible, use an e-mail address that you don't use for anything else

They'll set you up with a PIN (which is three cards from a standard 52 card deck) for free. You still enter your username and password as normal, then an additional screen comes up showing all 52 cards in the deck. You click on your three in order so it shouldn't be vulnerable to keystroke loggers and the cards are shown in a random order every time so they couldn't even track it by mouse position - someone would have to be streaming video of your screen to crack it.

That's better security than most internet banking systems, FWIW. If you use your e-mail address rather than your screen name and then, if possible, make sure that e-mail address isn't used for anything else then it's one more thing a hacker would have to crack - anyone who plays on the site can find your screen name out.

5000 points might be a bit much for a security key but if that seems like a big amount to you then you probably don't have that much money in your account at risk and the GUI PIN solution combined with the other measures above should be adequate - like I said, most internet banking platforms don't have security that good.

5K FTPs is worth $25. $25 to pretty much guarantee your account can't be hacked for 5 years (est life of battery) is pretty cheap. I agree that the PIN setup is probably more than adequate but if you have enough cash on there that it would be hard to replace the $25 worth of generally worthless points seems worth it.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good point WV.
$5 a year seems like pretty cheap insurance, if you have a decent sized bankroll to protect.

I use the free GUI PIN system. I have to click in my three cards each time.
(I use the 6-number code on pokerstars as well)

I have my passwords memorized on my home PC, but my laptop has *no* passwords remembered, as that's most likely to get stolen.