FT Red Poker "Pro" Steve Wong

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So anyone who has looked at the micro stakes tables at FullTilt has probably seen the table Steve Wong a time or two with the FT Red Poker Pro Steve Wong in there rocking the .01/.02 table. So about two months ago I looked him up on PTR just to see who he is and why he is so special to have his own room(by the way, seems like what I found out was that he bought the room and the red title status? Could be wrong here though). So I looked him up and I figured out kind of what I thought...he's a consistently losing player at the 2NL stakes.

So today again I went to PTR and checked him out again and he went from being around -$90 to over $1k in a day, but by playing about 35 hands at 3/6 PLO. There isn't any kind of conspiracy or anything that I'm trying to bring up, I just think it's funny. Guy who has over 100k hands at 2NL and losing goes to making $1k at 3/6PLO in 20 minutes, lol.

Here's his graph:
[old link~tb]

Last edited by a moderator:
salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
idk... does FT pay pros to sit at lower level tables? I've seen Steve Wong play, you're right hes terrible... at that level, maybe he just sat down and ran good on that PLO table... dunno.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1.5M in tourney winnings and he gets paid $35/hr and 100% rb from FTP (standard red pro deal). You really think he cares about losing a few $$ at 2nl???

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That graph is rockin' though! Wish mine would do that every once in a while.

RoyalFish

RoyalFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1.5M in tourney winnings and he gets paid $35/hr and 100% rb from FTP (standard red pro deal). You really think he cares about losing a few $$ at 2nl???

$35/hour? That's all? Yuck.

RF

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$35/hour? That's all? Yuck.

RF

If I was good enough to be a red pro, they could keep the $35 p/hr. Just think about all the action they get from fish just because of their red status. Plus the 100% r/b. That would be more than enough for me.

RoyalFish

RoyalFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plus the 100% r/b. That would be more than enough for me.

Not at 2nl, tho, right? If I'm a pro, I'm not playing for pennies even if you pay me $35/hour.

RF

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and no, he did not buy his red pro status, lol

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think he plays there because he gets paid for it, or at least that's what I assumed. I heard he was gonna be moving up in stakes tho, cuz it used to be a 2nl CAP game, then got changed to a reg 2nl non cap game. I have seen him play, and he is not a donk or anything, but people call him down with anything and everything all the time at 2nl just because they want to beat a pro. I know he also plays live tournaments, and while he travels he plays on a laptop mini with a wireless card, and he prolly doesn't pay much attention lol. I know all this cuz I played there, and in a couple private mtt's on ftp, with the people who I guess are regulars at that table.

Do people buy red pro status?

Wes747

Wes747

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll play 2NL for $35 an hour. It'd be a fun way to make a living.

trewtrew

trewtrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im sure he's just instructed by FTP to play at 2NL to attract more players to make deposits to play with a 'Pro'. over the past few months there has been loads of red pro playing freerolls and micro stakes tournies. I played a 50FTP satellite to the daily dollar with scott fischman. he busted me with Aces.......

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK, yea, completely forgot to look up any tournament stats for him so that makes sense. I was just saying that I saw somewhere something about him buying red pro status, but I'd never heard of that before, so this makes much more sense.

Along the lines with dg talking about him playing at those levels to bring the fish in for their added rake playing against a red pro...I've watched that table before, and there are usually at least 15 people on the waiting list to play in there, and the play is even worse than the regular 2NL tables. Half the people in there are just trying to stack Wong with whatever gets dealt to them, just so they can say that they did.

B

bluffthis876

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
wake up and think

LOL at these posts, as usual comtempt prior to investigation, yes he has a great contract, yes he plays many hours, no he isnt playing by the hour at this point.
he didnt buy his own table either. the idea is to move the table up every 2 months a level, its really just entertainment for the lower level players, and of course FTP hopes others may follow up and get excited about poker and they are in the monney making business, lets be real.
Steve used to own the online tournaments back in 2004 and 2005-06 and has won about every possible big tourney online and many several times, before going to mainly live play for a few years.
he gets called by every possible goofball that just wants to play vs him, so yeah alot of beats ,but thats not that important. not like he is trying to blow everyone away here, he is providing a likeable table for others to play, and mostly the play at his tables are more solid over all for that level. anyway just think beofre u start talking sillyness that u dont understand the big picture.. GG

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
They get paid to play, its all just for show to attract people. Then they can tell their friends, "I played with a pro!".

..eh even though I don't really care for the guy..

They should get someone that matters, Phil Ivey playing the microstakes.. imagine the waiting list on every table he was on......

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll play 2NL for $35 an hour. It'd be a fun way to make a living.

+1, 35 dollars an hour and 100 percent rakeback just to play 2nl...? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL at these posts, as usual comtempt prior to investigation, yes he has a great contract, yes he plays many hours, no he isnt playing by the hour at this point.
he didnt buy his own table either. the idea is to move the table up every 2 months a level, its really just entertainment for the lower level players, and of course FTP hopes others may follow up and get excited about poker and they are in the monney making business, lets be real.
Steve used to own the online tournaments back in 2004 and 2005-06 and has won about every possible big tourney online and many several times, before going to mainly live play for a few years.
he gets called by every possible goofball that just wants to play vs him, so yeah alot of beats ,but thats not that important. not like he is trying to blow everyone away here, he is providing a likeable table for others to play, and mostly the play at his tables are more solid over all for that level. anyway just think beofre u start talking sillyness that u dont understand the big picture.. GG

You should have remembered to wipe your face off after taking one of Steve's loads all over it before you signed up for an account here just to post that. It sounds like you know all about his tournament success, which I have found out about recently as well, but you know nothing of his micro limit cash game table. Look at it at most times and you will see one of two things. It is either extremely loose(I'm talking about 40-50% seeing the flop), which proves that the play is pretty terrible(although extremely profitable). On the other hand, it is extremely tight. This usually happens after the table has been open for about an hour and it drops down to about 15% seeing the flop, which will never be a profitable table.

R

rollnutilt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have remembered to wipe your face off after taking one of Steve's loads all over it before you signed up for an account here just to post that. It sounds like you know all about his tournament success, which I have found out about recently as well, but you know nothing of his micro limit cash game table. Look at it at most times and you will see one of two things. It is either extremely loose(I'm talking about 40-50% seeing the flop), which proves that the play is pretty terrible(although extremely profitable). On the other hand, it is extremely tight. This usually happens after the table has been open for about an hour and it drops down to about 15% seeing the flop, which will never be a profitable table.
LOL... I still think Steve sucks even if he won alot of major tournaments his cash game is no where close. He should stick to tournaments.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL... I still think Steve sucks even if he won alot of major tournaments his cash game is no where close. He should stick to tournaments.

Nah I think you're being a little too hard on him... when I make a little money in this game I find it next to impossible to sit still and be patient when playing a 2nl cash game with donkeys... I have no idea how a pro would feel when he could be making way more money doing something else, but is required by full tilt to play at a 2nl table.

xXSmuggla

xXSmuggla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

First post 0wnage.....

R

rollnutilt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nah I think you're being a little too hard on him... when I make a little money in this game I find it next to impossible to sit still and be patient when playing a 2nl cash game with donkeys... I have no idea how a pro would feel when he could be making way more money doing something else, but is required by full tilt to play at a 2nl table.
If it is how come you don't see Ivey, Antonius or Durrr playing the micro stakes?

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is how come you don't see Ivey, Antonius or Durrr playing the micro stakes?

1. All the players you named are mainly high stakes cash game players, Steve Wong is not.

2. Steve Wong has a contract (if you read the previous posts) paying him 35 dollars an hour to sit and play microstakes, the players you mentioned would never take such a contract because they can make way more money playing at higher levels.

If I had to guess I would say Ivey, Dwan and Antonius all have contracts dictating what they have to do as red pros... they're always playing at higher stakes so thats probably what their contracts say they have to do.

Edit: Went on google to check out red pro contracts and found this about Tom Dwan signing up, doesnt give details but definitely indicates a difference between well known pros (Team Full Tilt) and others like Steve Wong. Link: http://www.coinflip.com/news/its-official-tom-dwan-joins-team-full-tilt.html

"The current members of Team Full Tilt are Phil Ivey, Chris Ferguson, Howard Lederer, John Juanda, Jennifer Harman, Phil Gordon, Erick Lindgren, Erik Seidel, Andy Bloch, Mike Matusow, Gus Hansen, Allen Cunningham, and Patrik Antonius. Their contract with the site is on another level compared to the "regular" Red Pros, even if the Red Pros have considerable benefits, too. It is generally assumed the Team Full Tilt earn a share of the profits generated by the site."