"English at the table"

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well i found out by talking to merge network(carbon, reefer) support that they dont have an english only rule at the table. i would say it bothers me, except for the fact that i have done reasonably well in tourneys and cash games there so while i dont like it, theres not much i can do about it so i just tolerate it.. fortunately most sites have english only so this is not a big deal most of the time

H

Heatherbrianne1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that it is difficult being at a table and there speaking contstantly and I dont want to seem Rasist or anything, i just find that its hard to concentrate when you have people yapping at your table.. I agree with saying "English only please".. I have used a translator to see what all the comotion was and there bad talking people on the table.... So , Honestly i wish there was a restriction on Fulltilt poker.

T

TracesOfAces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"Since stealth communication can be used in collusion at a poker table (whether verbal or non-verbal, as in cues given to a partner to gain an advantage), there has to be one universal way to communicate that is acceptable. Since English is the most widespread language in the world, English it is."

Absolutely agree. For the most part, when enforced, such a rule's to prevent collusion among players of the same nationality. It has nothing to do with chauvinism, anglophiles etc., it's simply the best way to protect the game from the abuse that some of the others on this thread have noted. On an aside, that FT are lax about enforcing this rule is worrying but frankly isn't so surprising to me given how uninterested their CS is. (FT CS: Definitely the worst in the industry!)

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Since stealth communication can be used in collusion at a poker table (whether verbal or non-verbal, as in cues given to a partner to gain an advantage), there has to be one universal way to communicate that is acceptable. Since English is the most widespread language in the world, English it is."

Absolutely agree. For the most part, when enforced, such a rule's to prevent collusion among players of the same nationality. It has nothing to do with chauvinism, anglophiles etc., it's simply the best way to protect the game from the abuse that some of the others on this thread have noted. On an aside, that FT are lax about enforcing this rule is worrying but frankly isn't so surprising to me given how uninterested their CS is. (FT CS: Definitely the worst in the industry!)
I don't think that FT CS is the worst in the industry, but what worries me is that they are so big and so it should be a lot better than it actually is. pokerstars offer awesome customer service, and Full Tilt are big enough to offer the same high standards - but they don't!

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How would Full Tilt regulate English only to the rest of the poker playing world. Unfortunately they don't have Eschelon to monitor thousands of table texts. English may very well be the most widely spoken language, however there are players out there who aren't fully literate in the English language.

Elliegurl

Elliegurl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How would Full Tilt regulate English only to the rest of the poker playing world. Unfortunately they don't have Eschelon to monitor thousands of table texts. English may very well be the most widely spoken language, however there are players out there who aren't fully literate in the English language.

Not being fully literate is fine.... there are millions of English speaking people who are not literate in their own language! **Just read the chat......lol

The whole world is internet savvy; they can use an online translator if they need to communicate so desperately during an online poker game.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's right - some people can't even spell United States correctly! :eek:

P

Prase

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
" they can use an online translator if they need to communicate so desperately during an online poker game."

Nevertheless, crimes need opportunity - so why make it easy for people who use, for example, cyrillic when playing English speakers?

If online poker rooms are happy to take our rake, they must accept they have a greater degree of responsibility for protecting honest players/customers.

This needs to be nipped in the bud, as the online poker market moves further afield - past Europe and into Asia.

Not only does it help compliance, it raises the level of trust and peace of mind for customers which, naturally, means we're happier sending more time at their tables, feeding them rake.

Seems a no brainer to raise the bar on this one.

Elliegurl

Elliegurl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
" they can use an online translator if they need to communicate so desperately during an online poker game."

Nevertheless, crimes need opportunity - so why make it easy for people who use, for example, cyrillic when playing English speakers?

If online poker rooms are happy to take our rake, they must accept they have a greater degree of responsibility for protecting honest players/customers.

This needs to be nipped in the bud, as the online poker market moves further afield - past Europe and into Asia.

Not only does it help compliance, it raises the level of trust and peace of mind for customers which, naturally, means we're happier sending more time at their tables, feeding them rake.

Seems a no brainer to raise the bar on this one.

I think you misunderstood me...I am actually all for having the 'english only' ruled strictly enforced.

What I was saying was that if someone doesn't speak english, they can use something like google translator (ie: russian to english) to talk at the table during a game...so everyone can communicate with each other and understand what is being said in the chat.

P

Prase

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doh! Not enough caffeine in the system when I read your post. Apologies.

G

Grinderinoz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the idea of the google translator and I may use it next time I play on Everest Poker.

Sometimes I seem to be the only english speaking person at the tables, the site seems popular with French, Hungarian and Brazillian players, as a result there is no shortage of betting action at the tables.

Good idea re the translator.

I

IhateRiver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hy

It is nice to speak only english at online poker tables, so everybody could understand what are you saying, and for the fairness of the game, last time on cdpoker when i played, the players where speaking italian, and i told them to speak english, and they got aggressive at my address and they sweared

I did not reported them, that was their luck