Big Freebuy Tournaments on WPN

4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a promotion into all the network ...so you can play them wherever you want: American Cardroom, Black Chip Poker, Poker Host etc. but not in the same time! They have big period of late registration - 2 hours or smth... so you can register into one from the first, if lost register in it from another room. I played the 8k$ twoo days ago , i made 35th place for 40$....it was to late and just tired...because i was in first 10 players most of the time. Gl all, see on tables~!

Flayst

Flayst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if it is their server hardware or their client software, but it is very laggy and unresponsive right now during the $25k Freebuy, which I assume is due to the large user load. But I'm not sure if it's just that the lobby is constantly trying to update the list of 4k people's chipstacks or what.

whowantwhat

whowantwhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
God damnit went into the $25k FR thinking it started at 2:30 and it started at 12:30 so I missed that one too
I literally missed every single one of these lol

jayrock334

jayrock334

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know PokerHost gets a bad rap. Since moving from the merge network, things have not seemed to improve at all for this site. I doubt this kind of management thinking helps....

A few days ago I logged on to see what kind of games they have and was surprised - shocked actually - to see a cascading set of what they were calling "freebuy" games; games with large guarantees, free to enter. How big? Well, the ones I missed were already off the list, but 1,000/2,000/6,000/12,000/25,000. You got 1k in chips to start, 10 minute levels, and rebuy amounts that varied (smaller prize pool = smaller rebuy amounts and vice-versa).

The stunning part was certainly not that none of them made enough to cover the guarantee, nor that they have canceled the remaining games (no more 12k or 25k, no duh right?) but rather how could they not know they could never get enough rebuys and add ons to cover the prize pool? The 6k I played in had no less than 3700 players. I entered for free and made it all the way to 180 before going out (payouts started at 144 players) without spending a dime on rebuys or add ons. They did not even come close to breaking even, despite 700+ rebuys and 90 addons.

This was a huge waste of the sites money. Since they have cancelled the remaining scheduled games, one can only assume they actually thought they had enough traffic to hit the guarantee via rebuys and add ons. After all, if it were a "loss leader" type of deal to generate interest in the site and get new depositors, then they would still be on, wouldn't they? Since they have been scrapped, this means they actually thought this would work. Amazing.

pokerhostfreebuy.bmp

Even worse, some people who might have deposited will invariably be upset that the 12k and 25k was dropped, and most likely will not deposit now, assuming the large guarantee games they see coming up might simply be cancelled due to not enough players entering. We regular players/enthusiasts get the why and the what of it, but newbies don't.

I wonder if we have a PH rep on here who might explain this debacle?

the rebuys are still up including a 20k i think they did it to test and see if the site can handle the traffic since they are trying the million dollar sundays starting 4/12

Flayst

Flayst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Out 229/5137 in the $25k GTD Freebuy. Pretty much a bubble bust-out, 106 ITM. Is it wrong that I'm happy with that finish even though I didn't get paid?

T

trancefan

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cashed in the 12k for $36 but busted out early in the last two. Just too many crazy donkeys early on that get lucky. Also highly annoying were the high rollers that entered these tournaments. Very aggressive on the button and before button position trying to sweep up the blinds. I looked at the players who cashed in high dollar entry fee tournaments this past week and several of them cashed well in these freebuys.