Anyone play hi/lo swing?

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many years ago when I was a young GI in Japan I was introduced to a 7-stud variation that became one of my favorites. As the name indicates it was a hi/lo split pot game unless you tried to swing and take both sides. The way we played it if you swung and were even tied on either side you lost the whole thing. Also, we played it declare in that the last bettor/raiser had to declare their intention first and it went around the table from there. The declaration added a whole new level to the game as you could play position to steal a hi or lo side at times.

I probably have played more of this game than all others combined. I've only been playing hold-em for about 4 months so it's still new to me. Been toying with the idea of experimenting with Omaha hi/lo as it has some of the same appeal. I welcome the comments from any Omaha players out there...

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dunno about the swing thingy. Sounds interesting though. :)

Omaha H/L is great if you can stand the crazy, err, "swings" you get. At lower limits it's normal for 60-70% of the table to see most flops, as people really don't know what they're doing. It basically becomes a game of the nuts - if you don't have the nuts, something close to the nuts or a good draw to the nuts, you get out of the pot. As long as you know what you're doing and play standard tight/aggro it's probably more profitable that HE in the long run.

It's also fun to play for the occasional guy who pipes up with "WTF I HAD A FLUSH HOW DID HE BEAT ME WIHT HIS THREE OF A KIND", not knowing that 4 to a suit in his hand and one on the board isn't a flush. :D

D

d36jenkins

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
all the time..

when i get tired of playin withe river ratts and idiots that push all in w/ J 2 offsuit.... i enjoy a lil omaha hi/lo and 7crd hi/lo... its just a good change once in a while... d36jenkins:cool: