ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Has anyone else been noticing this lately with smaller buy in games? The $2500 GTD is now the $2350 GTD. The $1300 GTD went from $3.30 to $4.40. That's a couple of examples. Anyone else noticing any others?

Mogulkahn

Mogulkahn

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
probably less than 200 players play in such tournaments, unlike poker stars big 2.2 have too over 2k players, choose u like more 🤔☺️☺️
Are you playing only ACR or something else ?

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
probably less than 200 players play in such tournaments, unlike poker stars big 2.2 have too over 2k players, choose u like more 🤔☺️☺️
Are you playing only ACR or something else ?
Mostly ACR, US resident. I understand how prize pools are determined. I'm just wondering about the smaller than usual fields and ACR's changing tournament guarantees and buy ins. They are obviously changing the games due to the recently shrinking field sizes.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Exactly. The guarantees on PokerStars and 888 Poker are also much smaller, than they used to be just a few years ago.
Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t aware of that. It seems online poker is experiencing a lull. I’m sure there are many factors involved. Worldwide economic issues are certainly contributing with people having less disposable income. Interest may be waning as well without the high profile poker entertainment and promotion we used to see.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t aware of that. It seems online poker is experiencing a lull. I’m sure there are many factors involved. Worldwide economic issues are certainly contributing with people having less disposable income. Interest may be waning as well without the high profile poker entertainment and promotion we used to see.
I believe the payout structure of MTT's if very conducive to the problem of the field of players declining

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe if they would make a 2350 4.40
totaling avg 534 entrys

top 106 get 44$ each

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
they would have such a massive migration of rec players and pros alike

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online poker has generally been declining for at least 15 years. As you say, we are not seeing the same high profile poker entertainment, like we used to. Or at least it has moved to less mainstream media like PokerGo, Twitch and Youtube. But being realistic about it, the popularity of poker during the boom years was likely the exception, and now we are just back to something more normal.

There are other reasons as well, like the fact, poker has largely been solved, which makes the games harder to beat, at least in high stakes, where sites are fighting an uphill battle against the use of various forms of Real Time Assistance (RTA). Live poker is still doing well, because RTA is not an issue there, and the best players cant be in more than one place at a time.

COVID19 induced a massive boom in online poker back in 2020, because people had nothing to do except sit home and do stuff online. But now volume on all the western facing sites is lower, than it was prepandemic. And as you say, its certainly facing macroeconomic headwinds right now with households having less disposable income due to the record high inflation and also higher interest rates.

The only site bucking the trend is GG Poker, and that is likely, because they are very strong on the asian market, which is the only one growing. There are likely also players, who have moved from other sites to GG Poker. But this can not explain the decline in volume on ACR specifically, because 80% of the players on ACR are americans, and americans can not play on GG Poker. So the declining volume on ACR is likely a good indicator of the overall market for online poker in the USA and other western countries

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe if they would make a 2350 4.40
totaling avg 534 entrys

top 106 get 44$ each
Thats would basically just be a satellite, except that people are rewarded cash rather than tickets or entries. And while satellites can be fun, I definitely dont think, interest in poker would increase, if all regular MTTs were replaced with satellites. The small chance of turning $4.4 into $500 in a single game is likely a large part of, what makes MTTs attractive for recreational players.