IronMike9000

IronMike9000

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Interesting twitter feed here in relation to bot accounts from Belarus on ACR poker. Allegedly bot accounts were allowed to steal 1.5m from the ecosystem despite the site knowing about them existing almost a year prior while high volume regs are struggling to make money. The same guy accused 30 or so accounts of being bot account 4 years ago and they banned every player on that list.
https://twitter.com/wugwugwugwug

ipagan

ipagan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Hello Mike! I tried to read all this theme on twitter and didn't understand a point from this. Are they saying that all profitable accounts from belarus are bots who were written so good to get to the Venom final table? I don't care really from what contry they would be and a room where they will appear, but does thay have some sort of real prooves or does the ACR support have any investigation or commentary on that? I know a streamer playing on PokerKing and winning there and didn't hear anything about such problem on ACR

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not sure I would believe the story. ACR or any site is not going to "allow" bots to just take 1.5M out of the poker eco system. I have played for years and dont think its as big of an issue as some make it out to be. I am sure sites are looking out for them and get them off when they find them but to say they allow them is just not accurate in my opinion.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
What troubles me is that bots appear on micro or nano stakes , and I am talking about poker rooms bots , not players' bots . I mean , they want to scoop the freeroll money as well ?? Lol

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have played for years and dont think its as big of an issue as some make it out to be.
I completely agree. While bots definitely do excist, a lot of people are looking for ways to excuse their gambling losses, and "bots" are definitely one of them. Its almost to the point, where I am a bit sceptical about it, when a poker site publicly announce, that now they have banned this or that many "bot accounts". This could actually sometimes just be a marketing gimmick to show people, that they are doing something good for players.
I am sure sites are looking out for them and get them off when they find them but to say they allow them is just not accurate in my opinion.
Exactly. No site is deliberately "allowing" players to cheat. The real issue is how effective or not their security efforts are. And here it should be obvious, that the biggest operators like GG Poker and pokerstars have more ressources than others. So if you play on a smaller site like ACR, then you are probably more likely to run into opponents, who cheat in one way or another. And this also becomes more likely, as you move up, since if people bother to cheat, then why would they play for the price of a cup of coffee ;)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
And this also becomes more likely, as you move up, since if people bother to cheat, then why would they play for the price of a cup of coffee ;)
I agree with most of the message, but this is to address this one part that's often overlooked: 1. players at higher stakes are harder to beat and 2. bizarre play at higher stakes is much more difficult to hide than at lower stakes. That's why it makes more sense for cheaters to play more volume at lower stakes, in my opinion. Obviously not just for a cup of coffee, but say 200 of those coffees would taste pretty good. (And especially in places where that cup of coffee will go a long way towards monthly expenses.)

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with most of the message, but this is to address this one part that's often overlooked: 1. players at higher stakes are harder to beat and 2. bizarre play at higher stakes is much more difficult to hide than at lower stakes. That's why it makes more sense for cheaters to play more volume at lower stakes, in my opinion. Obviously not just for a cup of coffee, but say 200 of those coffees would taste pretty good. (And especially in places where that cup of coffee will go a long way towards monthly expenses.)
In the past poker bots were not good enough to beat the best human players, so they could only be used in soft games. Back in the day I played a lot with bots in Zynga Poker play money games, and those bots were terrible and pretty easy to beat, once you figured them out. However this has changed a lot today with the use of AI software. So today I would not bank on bots not being used in high stakes games, because they cant beat them.

But you do have a point, that high stakes players are more alert, so the risk of detection is higher. There is also more volume at lower stakes. So it could still make sense for cheaters to let their bots play say 25-50NL cash to not draw to much attention to themselfes. But the idea, some people have, that they are playing with bots in freerolls or micro games, is pretty silly in my opinion :)

aissam18

aissam18

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no site will accept bots to just take 1.5$M of the poker ecosystem so i don't believe this is true

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What worries me is that bots show up at micro or nano limits, and I'm talking about poker room bots, not player bots. I mean, do they want to get money from the freeroll too?? I can't laugh

Sometimes players appear at the table who play exactly like bots, the most interesting thing is that they place big bets with bad hands, as if they know they are going to get a good combination right now, and this is not the only case during the game

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Sometimes players appear at the table who play exactly like bots, the most interesting thing is that they place big bets with bad hands, as if they know they are going to get a good combination right now, and this is not the only case during the game
How do bots play exactly ?^^
Mostly it's just dumb decisions being rewarded ...
That's it

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bots can foresee the upcoming cards and therefore know when to bet or fold.

Some are even able to see your hole cards, so they can exploit you even more.

🤪🤪🤪
Its quite obvious, that a lot of people, who complain about "bots", dont even know, what they are. A bot is simply a computer program playing poker, so the owner dont need to do it themselfes. Just like there are also programs playing chess, backgammon or other skill games. And of course it makes no sense to program a computer to play poorly :)

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Its quite obvious, that a lot of people, who complain about "bots", dont even know, what they are. A bot is simply a computer program playing poker, so the owner dont need to do it themselfes. Just like there are also programs playing chess, backgammon or other skill games. And of course it makes no sense to program a computer to play poorly :)
Yes sure but then it should also be quite hard to detect them . That's why I say 99% of the times people complain about bots is just another encounter of a bad beat

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
an old post... but just wanted to mention >> BOTS don't play in 'bizarre' way. Quite the contrary. The ones I've come across in the past*, actually played in a more predictable, but aggressive style and actually were fairly tough to play against (& this was at 'coffee with a muffin' stakes... but at Starbucks)

* (received refund from site, & some players I'd tagged as suspected bots no longer were in the player pool... a small pool as I play very specific tables & when playing high volume, you get to know the regulars quite well).

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
since if people bother to cheat, then why would they play for the price of a cup of coffee ;)
Easier to go undetected. Easier to beat the player pool at the 'coffee' stakes.

On most sites I am confident they go after them diligently. On iPoker network I'm certain there's a few at the 'Mc Happy Meal stakes' (in SnG's). But there's also some massive fish there too.. but HUGE rake.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes sure but then it should also be quite hard to detect them . That's why I say 99% of the times people complain about bots is just another encounter of a bad beat
99% of the time 'rookies' or 'freerollers' complain about them, it's just a statement made with zero evidence aside from them losing the hand. How many hands that they win do they suggest "BOT!"... "I was playing on a table with a couple of bots, I learned how to adjust and took down a couple of huge pots from them, putting myself in a position to go deep in the tourney" << & we hear this from that same group just about never.

I'd suggest it's not always easy to detect them but it isn't real hard either. BUT it could still be a human playing 'or' they could be playing part of the time and having the BOT play the account part of the time (making it more difficult to detect as another player on the table... obviously the poker site has greater ability to detect a bot than just another player on the table).
When I felt I was playing vs. a couple/few bots it was over the period of many weeks. A few players join who you haven't seen before EVER and are playing a similar style, with near identical stats.,... and then they disappear (you can't find them at higher stake level... they're just gone and yet they were some of the better players in the pool. And then a week later another group joins over the period of a few days... and then they too are gone. Still, maybe not bots? It's hard to say for sure.
But... then you get an email & a refund in your account. Ah ha! You WERE right!

I haven't experienced this lately on tables I play at. (except for SnG's on iPoker network)