I play on both rooms. It very much depends on which game formats you are looking for.
Some comments from my side:
- Classic SnGs are not available on GG. On 888 they are but the rake is higher than on PS.
- 888 has not the best MTT schedule but I made a few good results there.
- GG has a great new member program with free tickets and also the honeymoon promotion. You can opt-in during the first week and get 30 tasks, one each day for the next month. If you complete all, you can win up to $300, I think. But it's a little unrealistic but I think the realistic goal is still around 150$. 888 has no real new member program (the bonus is ridiculous.).
- On GG, you have to pay the German gambling taxes of 3% yourself. It is deducted from every payout.
- you get a daily freebie at GG and can play some games risk-free.
- if you decide to sign-up at GG, make sure to do it with the cardschat link, so you can also play the CC freerolls (for all members). Although the timing is pretty inconvenient for Germany. 888 offers better timed freerolls for German players.
I've been told GG is soft but I never made it
deep into a tournament, so far. But I also
played only few games there. 🙃
Some say 888 is also soft in the micros. Indeed my ROI is better there than on PokerStars.
If you have the time and commitment, you could easily sign up at GG, use the new members bonus, play the honeymoon and hopefully raise your BR. (I made €100 out of my €25 deposit just by the promotions.)
Play a few games and see how you like it.
If you don't, take a part or all of that BR to 888. 😉