WSOP Event #5 100k High Roller finish disappointing (or not)?

S

SeanDoe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why "should" two, or more bracelets mean something, and to whom? Some players don't care about accumulating bracelets, and in fact prefer to fly under the radar. Stop telling other people what their preferences should be.

I did not claim that no players before the poker boom were entertainers, or that those players weren't good for the game. Some enjoyed the spotlight, or found it to be in their self interest. Many did not. None were obliged to.

I did not claim that online poker was the "sole reason" for the poker boom.

I did not claim that online poker was a more important factor than television. Instead, I suggested that the two factors worked together, and that one largely caused the other. The primary motivating factor for there being much more poker on television than before was the desire of online poker companies to buy ads to promote their product. If you watched a baseball game in the USA in that era, you'd see ads for beer, snack food, and cars. If you watched poker, almost all of the national ads were for poker sites or the network. Non-poker brands were reluctant to be associated with gambling (many still are, though the trend has been away from stigmatizing the game).

I did not claim that television hasn't benefited poker players's bottom line. My claim is that these players had no obligation to prioritize entertaining viewers over their own self-interest, and that viewers who are angry at them are acting unreasonably.

Congratulations on your sound rhetorical victory over your entirely imaginary opponent who claimed all of these things. I award you one invisible bracelet, which I have decided you should care about very much.

It is you who came at me, dissecting a post I made explaining why their decision was disappointing to me. I'm not going to protest their actions further than I have and honestly I don't really give a shit. Just another post in the well for more freerolls tbh. They chose to be in the spotlight and with that comes an invitation to be subjected to ridicule and praise. I don't need your bullshit redirecting or give a shit what you think. How about getting off my nuts and go find yourself a "noble" cause.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the tournament belongs to the tournament host not the players. Deal making should be banned as it is contradictory to the spirit of the game.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Personally I think that the wsop events should stand for something more than making money. I think a rule should be in place that there are no chops allowed... period!
And for sure it makes for lousy tv when guys doing something like they did. They don't owe anything to the televised production? I believe they potentially owe LOTS to the coverage as it has increased the number of players today probably 10-fold. How is that not worth something?

Also as already mentioned, what about other's betting on the outcome?

What about the Player Of the Year race?

WSOP