WSOP 2014 November Nine Down to Three (Caution: Spoilers!!!)

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Didn't even know that the November 9 FT ended already, didn't even watch get to watch 1 segment of it. Anyways congrats to the winner, whoever he is.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4) I actually thought Hellmuth looked great. That is the youngest he has looked in like a decade. You remind me of people who say they don't like the scruffy look right now; sorry, go to any metro area outside the S.E. in America and everyone under 40 that can pretty much is rocking a beard or some scuff.

Some super conservative people (Not politically..) seem to always look down on long hair/facial hair, and I will never know why. Now, personally I think long hair only looks good on certain older men, and if you are thinning it's a definite no-no, but...hey, it looked ok on Phil. He looked a lot better side by side than Daniel with his hair plugs, and an outfit a bit too trendy/young for a 40 yr old. Plus Daniel looked like a baby besides two relative large humans.

Don't get me wrong, it was nice to see Hellmuth not dressed in the black leather jacket with the hat. He looked like a normal human being and not the poker character that he normally is. The hair was just a tad on the messy side (for me), but overall, I didn't mind his look at all. For a 50 year old, he was dressed sharp, not too conservative, but not too young (like Daniel). He acquitted himself VERY well on TV as well. I don't look down on long/facial hair, and it wasn't lost on me that the final three were all sporting beards and it suited all of them very well. Van Hoof definitely had the best hair of the final table though.

I'm glad that Van Hoof got rid of the shades though because I think it took away from his look. For myself personally, I don't sport a beard/goatee. It's a comfort thing for me, and there's just way too much grey and I can't be bothered coloring my facial hair. I'm a pretty low maintenance person myself.

I agree with you about Daniel - I think he's trying so hard to be young, with the hair/wardrobe and all. But hey, I give him credit for trying though. Just because you're 40 doesn't mean you can't dress up a little funkier. I just turned 40 this year too and while I'm no fashion plate, I try my best. :)

I'll respond to some of your other points in a later response. It's getting late and I need to catch up on the lack of sleep from the last two days of watching the live feed.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't get me wrong, it was nice to see Hellmuth not dressed in the black leather jacket with the hat. He looked like a normal human being and not the poker character that he normally is. The hair was just a tad on the messy side (for me), but overall, I didn't mind his look at all. For a 50 year old, he was dressed sharp, not too conservative, but not too young (like Daniel). He acquitted himself VERY well on TV as well. I don't look down on long/facial hair, and it wasn't lost on me that the final three were all sporting beards and it suited all of them very well. Van Hoof definitely had the best hair of the final table though.

I'm glad that Van Hoof got rid of the shades though because I think it took away from his look. For myself personally, I don't sport a beard/goatee. It's a comfort thing for me, and there's just way too much grey and I can't be bothered coloring my facial hair. I'm a pretty low maintenance person myself.

I agree with you about Daniel - I think he's trying so hard to be young, with the hair/wardrobe and all. But hey, I give him credit for trying though. Just because you're 40 doesn't mean you can't dress up a little funkier. I just turned 40 this year too and while I'm no fashion plate, I try my best. :)

I'll respond to some of your other points in a later response. It's getting late and I need to catch up on the lack of sleep from the last two days of watching the live feed.

1) That's because Van Hoof has the Norseman look going pretty hard, and Nordic types who can grow a full beard almost always look good with the beard imho. Then again, I haven't been clean shaven for yrs and yrs....and I am definitely not Nordic looking so....maybe I just like beards. Van Hoof was said to be 6"6....man, he could be an extra on GOT's with some florescent contacts......

2) I feel you on the Grey. We are mediterranean types in my family, and grey comes earlier. OTOH my dad has more hair than me and my mom's father (balding gene comes from this relative?) had most of his hair in his 70s after a really rough life which included WW2 in Europe. I already have a bunch of stray grays in my hair and I am barely into my 30s....sigh. I don't mind it with dark hair though especially if I keep it short/neat. The beard is holding up so far.

3) Nothing wrong with being a bit funky in your 40s.....for instance, I might like Daniel with bright colored glasses, but when you're trying that hard, I think it takes away from a middle aged guys style. Like when middle aged people go too far with the teeth whitening....you cant have glowing teeth and leathery skin from all the fake bake/sun over a lifetime. It looks really odd juxtaposed. I think Hellmuth skated the line a bit better. I also don't think a tie was necessary for the event unless you were representing Caesar's or whatever. As good sports jacket and button up with some slacks, a pocket square and sharp shoes suffice like 80% of the time.

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
watching it on youtube.. so far 4hrs in on the final table. Van Hoof looks very intimidating to play against .

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Wait, are you guys really discussing the fashion sense of the final table? LOL I love you guys. :p

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) That's because Van Hoof has the Norseman look going pretty hard, and Nordic types who can grow a full beard almost always look good with the beard imho.

The moment you said Norseman, it just made me think of this. I know this isn't an image association thread, but I couldn't help it. Not sure if you are/were a wrestling fan, but this just makes me laugh.

PS - I'm glad you said "almost". :D

Attachments

• WWE_The_Berzerker.jpg
    WWE_The_Berzerker.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 14
WSOP