Would you boycott the Venetian Poker Room?

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Venetian's intent with this tournament is pretty clear....sucker in the tourists like they do with any other game. As a poker player, no way in hell do I play this tournament unless there is some overlay to play for. I would totally boycott this tournament. And, though I'm not happy with the owner's stance on online poker, when I played at the Venetian in a few cash games, I found it to be one of the best rooms I've ever played in. The property itself is pretty awesome with the gondola rides and such. It was one of our favorite stops the last few times we were in Vegas. I'd have a hard time boycotting all of it all together. And, let's be honest, a few full blown boycott wouldn't put a dent in the owner's overall $ situation so I'm not sure what good that would do anyone...you'd just miss out on what the Venetian as a whole has to offer. A focused boycott on the specific tournament however would make a point to those that run the room. That being said...imagine if most people boycotted but the min amount of players registered, the amount of overlay to chase after? Someone is going to get a nice ROI b/c not everyone is going to boycott.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Venetian's intent with this tournament is pretty clear....sucker in the tourists like they do with any other game. As a poker player, no way in hell do I play this tournament unless there is some overlay to play for. I would totally boycott this tournament. And, though I'm not happy with the owner's stance on online poker, when I played at the Venetian in a few cash games, I found it to be one of the best rooms I've ever played in. The property itself is pretty awesome with the gondola rides and such. It was one of our favorite stops the last few times we were in Vegas. I'd have a hard time boycotting all of it all together. And, let's be honest, a few full blown boycott wouldn't put a dent in the owner's overall $ situation so I'm not sure what good that would do anyone...you'd just miss out on what the Venetian as a whole has to offer. A focused boycott on the specific tournament however would make a point to those that run the room. That being said...imagine if most people boycotted but the min amount of players registered, the amount of overlay to chase after? Someone is going to get a nice ROI b/c not everyone is going to boycott.

Well now you bring up a very interesting point.

If it is true that this tournament structure will attract a lot of tourists...recreactional players....the guy who thinks he is the best player at his homegame amongst his buddies...

then wouldn't you want to play in a tournament with that kind of a field?

Or, would you rather be seated at a table with a bunch of professional magicians with tons of final table experience in big tournaments?

This is changing my mind about this tournament and I might keep an eye on it.

Good luck !

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Adelson looks like one of The Undead. Definitely sleeps in a black coffin that one. Never seen in the daytime.

I

Index12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I wouldn't want to play the tournament knowing that no exceeds would go to the prize pool since that would mean less money to play for overall.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lets hope they dont get enough entries and it back fires on them because if one does it more will follow.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't think they've noticed my boycott..