Updates/Chat for the Hellmuth vs Negreanu Challenge

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No doubt there will be plenty to read and see as we follow the Phil Hellmuth and Daniel Negreanu match. So, we will keep everything in one thread to follow along and comment as we wish!

We saw the first segment of the High Stakes Duel which Phil defeats Daniel.

Was anyone able to watch any of the first match up?

High Stakes Duel: Hellmuth Grinds Out Grueling Round-1 Win Over Negreanu

And here is what we may have seen, through the eyes and words of the article.

What We Learned from the First Hellmuth/Negreanu Match

R

rapione98

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Negreanu is a GOAT poker player.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good idea! I just saw this after posting in another thread. I loved it and I adore them both, but hey, everyone loves a comeback story! I was feeling sorry for Phil the first half when Negs was really going at him verbally and winning hand after hand. Then the poker Gods seemed to punish Negs for not closing it out when he had the opportunity (I don't want to say the hand in case people still want to watch it) and then the cards seemed to turn from favoring Negs to favoring Phil.
I was really surprised by the lack of aggression generally in their game - there was a lot of calling preflop & checking (did anyone else think so?), but then I play the micros where there's not a lot of small ball, lol, and usually stacks are short once you get to heads up.

P

pcurley17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Negreanu the better player imo
even though he lost

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Good idea! I just saw this after posting in another thread. I loved it and I adore them both, but hey, everyone loves a comeback story! I was feeling sorry for Phil the first half when Negs was really going at him verbally and winning hand after hand. Then the poker Gods seemed to punish Negs for not closing it out when he had the opportunity (I don't want to say the hand in case people still want to watch it) and then the cards seemed to turn from favoring Negs to favoring Phil.
I was really surprised by the lack of aggression generally in their game - there was a lot of calling preflop & checking (did anyone else think so?), but then I play the micros where there's not a lot of small ball, lol, and usually stacks are short once you get to heads up.

I have been somewhat excited to watch these various duels since they kicked off with Galfond vs Venividi. Then of course the next big hitter was Polk Negreanu.

However, at times, I asked myself was the play always high level - I didn't really think it was- and further were the formats that entertaining? To be honest, I started to realize that the entertainment value was limited. Even Best Bet back in Nov 20 was asking were the Galfond Challenges running out of steam?

Then there was the much ballyhooed duel between Holz and Malinowski which was presented well (cards up and video feed of both players) but the play was frankly substandard as they were distracted.

It was at this point Dara O'Kearney, the Irish pro, stated he really thought it was a mediocre format. Further, he thought there was no chance this was drawing people to poker (before PokerGo then tucked proceedings behind its pay wall). I think he is correct. This is only of interest to those interested in poker already.

So it has had to date some popularity, it has drawn eyes - but there is precious little else regrading poker to watch. I think to be honest it's all a little overhyped but does not hold up to serious scrutiny.

I enjoyed Helmuth whipping Esfandieri's butt, simply because of Esfandieri's smug arrogance. But that did not extend to Helmuth Negreanu match, because the play could hardly be called riveting. Helmuth played like Helmuth and Negreanu (for all his claims of GTO wizardry) played just like Negreanu - and it was mediocre stuff.

Personally I am waiting for some full ring EPT, WPT and wsop live streams to come back on line and I think once they do, these heads up duels will fade fairly quickly.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loved the first match. Takes me back to Nostalgia land, I detest most new poker pros, REALLY!
The shyest Poker pro of the 2000s is better than the average Poker pro, it's sad but I hope it will change
Cool thread to stay updated