Think before you post complaints on Social Media

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday Adam Hendricks took to Twitter and called out a player at a WSOP event, who was soon to be identified as Kelly Minkin, of having registered, took her seat and then unregistered. Kelly was covered by a rule which allowed her to register again. So, basically Adam prematurely (and inaccurately) made judgement and went to Twitter to make his thoughts known.

In my opinion, Adam likely should have gotten better information before heading to Twitter. What do you all think?

https://www.pokernews.com/tours/wsop...drix-39012.htm

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yesterday Adam Hendricks took to Twitter and called out a player at a WSOP event, who was soon to be identified as Kelly Minkin, of having registered, took her seat and then unregistered. Kelly was covered by a rule which allowed her to register again. So, basically Adam prematurely (and inaccurately) made judgement and went to Twitter to make his thoughts known.

In my opinion, Adam likely should have gotten better information before heading to Twitter. What do you all think?

Yeah, it was a little clumsy to say the least.

If you had seen a player register, then de-register but show up a few hours later it would have been puzzling. But I am not sure that a leap to Twitter was necessary. I think I would have been compelled to simply ask Kelly Minkin at a convenient moment what had happened. If she had no excuse then maybe take it to the Twitter streets.

It's just a tad ironic to me I have just posted about the women's tournament and the difficulties women face in poker and here is Kelly Minkin needing to unregister so she did not have to face someone who has given her problems in the past.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I believe Kelly's account of what happened.

But I don't even really understand how you can 'unregister' from an event after being seated but then you're not playing a hand for 25 minutes.

So you unregister and then re-register later and get a different table draw?

And as far as social media is concerned.... yes the tweeter feels like he may have jumped the gun about the situation.

But in the end he got the information he was curious about. So social media works?

I've always known Kelly to be fearless - I'm surprised that she wasn't just planning on how to felt the individual she had trouble with.

The best revenge is your opponents entire stack!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a lot of lame stuff going on in the poker community on social media. And sometimes players actually get rewarded for this. I remember an instance at the wsop a few years ago, where a romanian player from Italy and a black american player had gotten involved in some shit-talk after a big pot. It had started with the romanian player saying something like "thank you" as a needle. The american player had then responded "how do you say kiss my ass in italian" to which the romanian player had responded "whats up n i g g e r".

The romanian player had initially been given a 3 or 5 orbit penalty, which in my opinion should have been given to both players, since they were both out of line, and this should then have been the end of the story. However the american player took it to social media and complained, that his opponent had gotten to soft a punishment, and the WSOP then changed the initial ruling and kicked the romanian player out of the tournament the next day.

So not only should people think, before they post something on social media. It is also high time, that people stop caring so much about, what other people post, and let it influenze their own actions, as the WSOP did it that instance.

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips

But I don't even really understand how you can 'unregister' from an event after being seated but then you're not playing a hand for 25 minutes.

And as far as social media is concerned.... yes the tweeter feels like he may have jumped the gun about the situation.

But in the end he got the information he was curious about. So social media works?

I've always known Kelly to be fearless - I'm surprised that she wasn't just planning on how to felt the individual she had trouble with.

I was confused about the 25 min thing as well, and she regged a couple hours later - how long was late reg. Her tweet sadly is limited to word count so sometimes you cant tweet what is exactly on your mind and people reading have to read between the lines.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was confused about the 25 min thing as well, and she regged a couple hours later - how long was late reg. Her tweet sadly is limited to word count so sometimes you cant tweet what is exactly on your mind and people reading have to read between the lines.

I am guessing that the "late reg" table only had 3 players in it.

So they never played a hand because the minimum number of players were not at the table.

I'm thinking the WSOP allowed the un-reg (because she never played a hand) as a courtesy to Kelly for wasting her 25 minutes.

But then registering later in the same tournament that you un-registered from?

Still I support Kelly in this story!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Yes, though the entire situation does remain unclear and puzzling (the registering, un-registering, re-registering) I assume Kelly Minkin was given some latitude by the WSOP as a known entity. That said I would imagine that latitude extended to 'regs' if they went to an official to say ' Sorry, but I have had serious issues with someone sat at my table, so could I please be re-sat elsewhere'.

So this is the aspect that I would like explained. Was she upset to the point of thinking she wanted to withdraw completely? That would be understandable. Then perhaps she composed herself and thought she wanted to deal with situation regardless. Also understandable...but how would we know?

Little of that is revealed in the Twitter exchange so you would think after the matter became public, the WSOP could have released a brief statement to both clarify and deflate the situation.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's all about the "never played a hand". No, you can't just unreg to get away from someone and come back in and play once you're dealt in. They may change it up after this, but I don't really see why they would. You have options before you are dealt first hand, those options go away after.