Prahlad Friedman Tweets About Racism in Poker

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he was offended in his childhood! Already an adult, and resentment is still sitting ...

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think he was being served vodka when he ordered water.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is this what people refer to as "Virtue Signaling"?.. We need to stop racism all together, but I feel statements like this tend to divide people more than bring them together, but what do I know.

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not understand what racism means. I know that people are divided into good and evil! But the color of the skin and the incision of the eyes on CHARACTER (upbringing) do not affect!

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The outcome of whites and Asians succeeding more is an observation that does not prove any indication of racism. The fact that coaching costs money is a fact but again does not prove any kind of racism. I mean if you have not studied enough to play poker well or do not have the bankroll to play poker then you should not play, it’s as simple as that. People throw around the phrase systemic racism all the time but are often confusing it with capitalism. I agree black people have had a rough history in the US and their were racial laws in place until the 80s, but their status has been decreasing since the 70s. I believe this is likely the result of their culture and welfare type programs (the single mother rate has tripled or more since the 70s). Instead of welfare type programs with such high abuse potential I think some kind of government jobs program would be of a greater benefit to the black community.

Prahlad Freeman is definitely reaching here and his rapping is cringeworthy.

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Racism is so overused nowadays. Yes it still exists in all races, but you can not control how idiots think. Racism is taught by upbringing or people with weak minds being brainwashed into it.

Only color discrimination I have in poker is Chip color...lol

G

guitaRisGood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not all ignorant comment have racism at the core.... but all racist comments have ignorance at the core.

Civilly and gently point out the ignorance to:
1. Plant a new seed of an idea in the minds of the ignorant
2. Demonstrate not being silent in the presence if ignorance to those who would normally be silent

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
racism to poker, I think it does not fit, in poker its people who respect each other.

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just watched him play on LAB. He make a comment about an incident with the police, and he said, "And they weren't even racist". So when you look at everything expecting to see it, you can.

G

GameTooHard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
racism to poker, I think it does not fit, in poker its people who respect each other.

Racism exists in most places as a result of people and our society. If you can find racism in schools, church, sports you can find it at the poker table.

With that said I don't believe the average individual at the poker table is racist, I think like racism in most everything it's a small percentage of the population who are outwardly terrible.

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me, seeing more Whites and Asians in a poker room has a lot to do with majorities.

The majority of people in the US are white; therefore, you're going to see more of them in a poker room.....or any other event for that matter.

Blacks are the 2nd majority and Asians are the 3rd. Part of the reason for seeing more Asians than Blacks in the poker scene is because gambling and luck, in general, is more closely tied to Asian culture than Black culture. Seems like Asians just love to gamble.

If the point Prahlad is making has to do with the lack of Black people in poker (Not other minority races), why do you think that is?

Because they're just not interested?
They think it's stupid or a waste of money?

Yeah....probably not. It has to do with a lack of money and low exposure to all sorts of things in life as a result of repression.

Why don't we see more Black professional golfers?

That's a rich mans sport. Historically, many people, Blacks especially, can't afford it and aren't exposed to it.

What affordable sports are they exposed to?

Basketball, Football and Baseball. In high school, they got the opportunities to play those games without breaking the bank.

Prahlad isn't saying that Poker is racist or that some people are discouraged to play the game because of their race.

He's saying that racism in general has made the game out of reach for a lot of Black people. Obviously, he's right. But it's not just Poker; it's a lot of things.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me, seeing more Whites and Asians in a poker room has a lot to do with majorities.

The majority of people in the US are white; therefore, you're going to see more of them in a poker room.....or any other event for that matter.

Blacks are the 2nd majority and Asians are the 3rd. Part of the reason for seeing more Asians than Blacks in the poker scene is because gambling and luck, in general, is more closely tied to Asian culture than Black culture. Seems like Asians just love to gamble.

If the point Prahlad is making has to do with the lack of Black people in poker (Not other minority races), why do you think that is?

Because they're just not interested?
They think it's stupid or a waste of money?

Yeah....probably not. It has to do with a lack of money and low exposure to all sorts of things in life as a result of repression.

Why don't we see more Black professional golfers?

That's a rich mans sport. Historically, many people, Blacks especially, can't afford it and aren't exposed to it.

What affordable sports are they exposed to?

Basketball, Football and Baseball. In high school, they got the opportunities to play those games without breaking the bank.

Prahlad isn't saying that Poker is racist or that some people are discouraged to play the game because of their race.

He's saying that racism in general has made the game out of reach for a lot of Black people. Obviously, he's right. But it's not just Poker; it's a lot of things.
I'm not sure if you're dismissing Prahlad's point then coming back and agreeing / proving it below or not but I don't understand why everyone was so upset about his tweets. The black vs Asian population argument is bigger than you made it seem. The 2010 US census has the demographics as 12.6 Black and 4.8 Asian. Although this is still second and third it's ridiculous to me for you to say that this almost 3 to 1 disparity being reversed in a poker room is just because of some stereotype that Asians like to gamble. That statement in itself is part of the problem. I could point to you cultural gambling in black and Latino communities as well. Equal opportunity.

Second, in the two tweets I read it didn't say anything specific about black poker players. It simply said non-white. He does specifically indicate women and minorities as having additional barriers of entry to the game of poker. Why is that so offensive to everyone when it is largely true. Just like golf and hockey and sports that require expensive equipment tend to self select a more affluent population, so does poker. That is the point, if he wants to extend the opportunity to play and succeed to groups of people that he thinks have less access to the game. What is so horrible about that? In my experience minorities are just as pro-poker as whites and Asians. Adding successful women and minorities can help grow the game as well which is good for poker players.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ignorance is in abundance in this thread,,,,, WOW. :eek: