The Poker Hall of Fame will now choose 1 poker player to be inducted

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In the most recent years, the Poker Hall of Fame had inducted 2 players. However, the selection of inductees has now been limited to 1 (at least for now). The article states some of the reasons for the change and it's not due to Covid-19.

Do you think the selection committee is spot on?

Why the Poker Hall of Fame Now Only Inducts One Player Per Year

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
One player per year to be inducted , I believe is fair . The news article refers the reasons for this change , . As for this year , I hope Esfandiari makes it to the elite HOF players , he is my pick , he has contributed a lot in the game all these years .

cris1964

cris1964

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One player per year to be inducted , I believe is fair . The news article refers the reasons for this change , . As for this year , I hope Esfandiari makes it to the elite HOF players , he is my pick , he has contributed a lot in the game all these years .

I also share this opinion on the issue of 1 player per year because it significantly increases the competition and it just works well :)

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it should have stayed at least two with so many outstanding choices out there.
plus it has two different categories so say Isai Scheinberg wins for his contributions to poker,

that means a great poker player has to wait till next year for a chance.
so many greats that I'd like to see them all added.

Last edited:
Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I couldn't care less about a "Poker Hall of Fame" because I don't idolize flawed humans (and ALL of we humans are flawed in our own unique way :)

But that doesn't mean I'm crapping on the folks who made it in previously, congratulations to them, certainly... but for myself, I don't care about any of the Halls of Fame in ANY sport.

In my opinion, a Hall of Fame is merely a money-making operation, it's all about selling tickets. Is there even an actual brick-and-mortar Hall of Fame for poker players? I have no idea, but that would ruin my theory if there isn't. LOL

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have mixed feelings about the list this year. That is because there are some greats that are never considered.It has even been stated by many poker folks that if you have not made it by around the time you are 40, you never will. Why did it take until 2010 for Dan Harrington to be inducted, yet they had already inducted a guy who only had the claim to fame of dying while playing? Why is David Oppenheim, who I know is no slouch, in there with the likes of Jennifer Harmon, who is a true legend in my opinion?

I know there is a limited pool of folks to pick even a list to pick from, but some years I think they are just looking at who made headlines instead of people who should be in there. For that matter, why is Jonathan Little either not in there or not on this list? Between his winning ability and his coaching, I think he should be listed among the best in the game.

Sorry for ranting. I have issues with the HOF because of issues like this. I have a few on the list I think are decent candidates, but I think there are far better to have named to the list.