Phil Hellmuth blows up over criticism from Adam Friedman

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
During the $50K Players Championship this past Monday, Phil Hellmuth got into an argument with 5-time wsop Bracelet winner, Adam Friedman, over criticism of Phil charging his fans a 1.3% markup for a piece of him in the event. Phil did not like the criticism from Adam and of course, the argument turned into one of Phil's tirades at the table.

Here's how it went down >>> Adam Friedman Tilts Phil Hellmuth, Incites Blow-Up During WSOP $50K Players Championship

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with his lifetime ROI
and his ability proven again and again
Why is he blowing up?
Just stack Adam Friedman and say "thats why I'm worth 1.3"

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
30da1e169900f41bc88fdec4d279499c.png

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is the part of Phil I wish would learn to deal with those who disagree with him a lot better. Phil isn't going to change his mind with the terms for backers and he has to know that poker people, in general, will say something (possibly to tilt Phil because they know they can). Phil could learn to deal with confrontations better or change things up for the backers and he won't have much to worry about.

I guess, in the end, he could be setting precedence in poker staking overall and those who do rely on backers may not be staked as often if this is the norm? I'm not well versed in any of the staking terms at all, so kind of spit-balling.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't believe I'm defending Hellmuth, but 1.3 is not that bad considering the guy has won more bracelets than anyone in history.

Markup police, get a life

N

NoMore

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think every poker player gets a great deal of pleasure after winning a hand against him)))

joseferbat

joseferbat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
During the $50K Players Championship last Monday, Phil Hellmuth got into an altercation with Adam Friedman, five-time WSOP Bracelet winner, over criticism of Phil charging his fans a 1.3% margin for a piece of him at the event. Phil didn't like Adam's criticism and, of course, the discussion turned into one of Phil's shots at the table.

See how it went >>> Adam Friedman bows Phil Hellmuth and causes explosion during the WSOP $50K Players Championship
umai I wonder,,, where the emotional control of the professional they preach so much... human beings will never be perfect even lol

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
The entire point of markup is that it has nothing to do with the risk/reward of backing someone. It is straight up pocketed by the person being backed. The justification for it is often "you are getting the privilege of railing me, sweating with me, and the entertainment that provides." But we could get that for free, right? Simply by watching and rooting for someone?

A lesser-used justification for markup is the non-buy-in expenses like travel, etc. Is Phil really worried about paying for getting to WSOP or having dinner there?

If you simply use the one $50k event... let's say Phil sells 20% of his action. So 10k, right? But with the markup, he is pocketing $3k even if he faceplants on the first hand by shoving with 72o. Not bad for 2 minutes of sitting at the table.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol 1.3 is sweet of him. I always put max markup every time 2x or 1.5x depending on which site.
I always plan to play regardless if any shares sell. Dont really care if they do or not.
But I do tend to take fewer risks and safeguard my stack more carefully if so.

Last edited:
Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol 1.3 is sweet of him. I always put max markup every time 2x or 1.5x depending on which site.
I always plan to play regardless if any shares sell. Dont really care if they do or not.
But I do tend to take fewer risks and safeguard my stack more carefully if so.
lol. and people really buy?

Fivefor

Fivefor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Too bad there isn't video...Phil's meltdowns are classic to watch when he turns into such a childish clown.
Why he lets himself get riled up by this is just stupid AF.
As for his 1.3 markup, we live in a free society where he can charge whatever he likes but he has to know that he'll take abuse from other pros about it especially when guys like Negreanu sell pieces for their fans with no mark-up

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Phil is Phil and will never change his behavioral patterns. He explains the reason he is how he is pretty good in his latest book called Positivity.

M

mange12345

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During the $50K Players Championship this past Monday, Phil Hellmuth got into an argument with 5-time WSOP Bracelet winner, Adam Friedman, over criticism of Phil charging his fans a 1.3% markup for a piece of him in the event. Phil did not like the criticism from Adam and of course, the argument turned into one of Phil's tirades at the table.

Here's how it went down >>> Adam Friedman Tilts Phil Hellmuth, Incites Blow-Up During WSOP $50K Players Championship
Seems sill for some one to critical of someone playing bad hand. It can only be to ones advantage to have another play a poor hand.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Seems sill for some one to critical of someone playing bad hand. It can only be to ones advantage to have another play a poor hand.
It does seem silly I agree. In this particular case, I don't believe the story is about any hands played.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The sad thing about Phil Helmuth is that in the future he will not be remembered for his poker accomplishments, but for his hilarious and pathetic rants that are forever canonized on YouTube that portray him as a jerk, a narcissist , and an altogether unlikeable person to play with at the same table. His accomplishments and stellar poker skills will forever be tarnished and forgotten by his behavior toward others.
Sad..

JOSEALBERTV

JOSEALBERTV

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Phil Helmuth found the perfect formula to always be the center of attention, in my opinion for someone who has won so many bracelets naivety in his actions does not exist, I think it's all part of his strategy and whether for better or worse, it has worked for him, he knows perfectly well that people always expect him to explode for something, and indeed it does, and simply even if some of us like the way of doing it or not, it is simply what it sells