Phil Hellmuth at the 2021 WSOP with another rant

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you might have a point.

Joe Stapleton on the PokerStars podcast argued it was not a 'net negative' though co-host James Hartigan argued otherwise.

Worse still was Remko Rinkema on PokerGo's podcast who made truly idiotic comments. Rinkema claimed (as a poker 'journalist') that poker was boring to watch, all people could remember was such blowups as they enjoyed them the most. and that poker should be more WWE. None of it said in a joking manner which made it cretinous.

Rinkema tried to walk some of it back (after a backlash) but then still said he is for more swearing and more shenanigins at the table. (by the by, I tried to link to this episode but it now appears missing from the PokerGo podcast archives -funny that)

I recently pointed out European Tour events receive millions of views over their You Tube streams with the final table of the main event hitting around a million views on its own. All without Phil Helmuth or a tantrum in sight. Apparently, the poker public is actually engaged in the game without it looking like Summer Slam.

And, just to underline the idiocy of this thinking, lets imagine the NFL or PGA allowing a twenty minute expletive filled rant on air with a star player repeatedly calling an opposing player m***** f***** and see how well that sat with the public.

I think you make great points, the dude is way out of touch with how he talks...but compare what he says to the lyrics of the rappers playing at the halftime show at the superbowl...the irony is unreal at this point. I do not think he was at all directing any swear words towards anyone, just like rappers saying what they say on track...am I wrong? Why are we holding this dude to his rant so harsh when we embrace rappers that have said way worse and in fact media then promotes them to perform for millions? I love rap, I just don't get why we are criticizing his rants as something different lol

Last edited:
D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think you make great points, the dude is way out of touch with how he talks...but compare what he says to the lyrics of the rappers playing at the halftime show at the superbowl...the irony is unreal at this point. I do not think he was at all directing any swear words towards anyone, just like rappers saying what they say on track...am I wrong? Why are we holding this dude to his rant so harsh when we embrace rappers that have said way worse and in fact media then promotes them to perform for millions? I love rap, I just don't get why we are criticizing his rants as something different lol

Fair points, but...he definitely did direct comments at Stephen Chidwick and then Anthony Zinno. Remko kept insisting others players should be responsible for calling the TD which was another lame thing he said. The wsop should have been on it, period.

Regarding the rap lyrics at the half time show, I assume you must be talking of Eminem, Dr. Dre etc. booked for 2022.

Not my cup of darjeeling (you know the rap I prefer) but I am quite confident the NFL/Superbowl will have signed heavy duty contracts regarding the content of the half time show and Eminem will not be out there performing 'Criminal' for example. No doubt Snoop or someone is going to throw out a few F bombs (for the sake of it) and there will be some pearl clutching but...they can always pull artistic license out of the hat.

Helmuth can't. And the thing which bugs (as stated previously) is Helmuth has a personality disorder but its not as though he is on the spectrum. He could control it himself (most people do in everyday life). But, if he was disciplined by the WSOP in a serious manner, I would bet the neighbors first born he would be back in 2022 meek and mild, in control of himself.

DPo320

DPo320

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't take him serious.

He's a grown man but behaves like a baby when ever he messes up.
Honestly at this point I'm convinced that the organizers only invite him
in hopes of getting him to rant in order to please the audience.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its shameful with all the success he has had when he lays into amateur players on one of his rants often for plays that he would make. And I have a problem with his f bombs. I disagree with one of the threads above arguing it helps lets off the tension and we all use the f word at the table. I don't mind swearing at the table, but when Helmuth does it, it is sometimes an aggressive rant at a player rather than just frustration.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil is Phil - the organisers know this, he attracts attention they want and viewing figures because its him, that said - if he is personally abusing someone, that needs to be addressed as if he was joe ordinary.

gloemcesar

gloemcesar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CL
Chips
too famous to fall?

Phil should be penalized fo that behavior but he is just too famous to fall.the greatest player of wsop its a hard case for the authorities but also the need to step in front and penalized him with a few days down at least showing that theres no favoritism that would be great.

mobooshka

mobooshka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Idk this guy is so annoying. But I have so much fun when someone beats him.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
His wife is a shrink , this is good for him , right ???

Relaaaaxxxxxx ......

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Who's to say it is planned acting? All know when and what is going to happen. Staged. With his wife being in the profession she is in, she may coach him when to react? Naw.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Almost everything related to Phil they take it as a joke, that's why it will be more than weird if they get to penalize him for one of his acts, I think the media know that it is a way to attract attention and this also serves to attract them more followers to the world of poker. Regards.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Phil is Phil - the organizers know it, he gets the attention they want and he sees the numbers because it is him, that being said, if he is personally abusing someone. It should be penalized for good!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Sorry, but some of the comments are absurd.

Yes, my suspicion is a certain type within the poker industry likes the scenes Helmuth creates. On the other hand I have never met, not have I even read someone's (anyone's!) comment that they were attracted to poker because of Phil Helmuth's antics.

Could there be a thread somewhere on CC I have missed where people profess to picking up the game because Phil Helmuth was cussing and swearing at his fellow competitors?

cdntyler87

cdntyler87

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It’s just so humorous to watch theses rants! Phil is a gold mine of hilarity really want to see one live

WSOP