Op-ed: Chris Wallace explores some of the problems with poker

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Chris Wallace takes on the topic of people in poker and what they stand for. It's an interesting read and poses interesting questions about poker personalities and what might be important to them.

Op-Ed: Doug Polk Is A Symptom Of A Greater Problem

Polker-Joker.png

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Phil Galfond put out some good content about the situation with Polk, which goes into it in much more detail than this op-ed by Chris (which just talks about Polk being a bully and a bad apple but doesn't back it up), for anyone that wants to read into it.

I honestly do not follow Polk or what he does. I don't attribute his existence and success to something wrong with poker. This happens in all sorts of activities where there is a presence of social media. There will always be bad apples and some will rise to the top, as long as people continue to glorify shallow success.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Excellent article, though if it wasn't for mentions here on CardsChat I wouldn't even know who these people are. What is the saddest is that people like that do have followers who actually are like them, or wish that they had the nerve to be jerks like them. God bless them if they can live with themselves, I know that I couldn't.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One could remove the poker references & apply this article to most any endeavor, I believe Dan Jenkins referred to it as "Life it's Ownself."

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Forgive me because I am very ignorant.
I'm just starting out in the world of poker, I'm barely getting to know names and personalities. I don't like all of them, I don't follow Doug Polk but I don't hate him either, I can't say that he's a bad person. However, I don't know who is writing the article either. (I have something new to look for) but it seems to affect him personally. One thing that I am learning very well is that in poker nothing should be personal, even the personalities of the players we like or we shouldn't leave them out of the game, I think.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i've only heard one side of the story but it sure sounds like doug polk is quite unpleasant + vindictive . its likely been a trait among powerful humans since the dawn of our species. and sadly , we've treated almost every other creature on this planet even worse than we treat each other !