K.L. Cleeton says he experienced some discrimination at the WSOP this past week

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you follow poker Twitter at all, you may have run across a dispute between K.L. Cleeton and Kitty Kuo recently.

For those who are unaware, K.L. Cleeton is paralyzed from the neck down and he explained on the CardsChat podcast this past March how an assistant at the table helps make his and other players’ experience more enjoyable. However, in the 2022 wsop $5,000 Six-Max event, poker pro Kitty Quo began arguing otherwise. Naturally, the discussion spilled over on Twitter.

Check out the story here >>> K.L. Cleeton Spars with Kitty Quo over Player Assistants at WSOP

Share your thoughts on this incident.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello! 🙋‍♀️🌺🌺🌺
I absolutely support KL Cleeton. He is a very sincere person and I am sure that he tries not to cause discomfort to the rest of the tournament participants. 👍💞💞💞

Kitty's attitude is unacceptable! Well, considering that this is not the first time I read unpleasant things about this player, I can say that she only disgraces herself: fat people at the poker table do not suit her, disabled people annoy her. What's next?🤦‍♀️

I also want to note that what Veronica Brill, Johnnie "Vibes" Moreno, and other players have done for Cleeton is simply amazing!🙏

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hello! 🙋‍♀️🌺🌺🌺
I absolutely support KL Cleeton. He is a very sincere person and I am sure that he tries not to cause discomfort to the rest of the tournament participants. 👍💞💞💞

Kitty's attitude is unacceptable! Well, considering that this is not the first time I read unpleasant things about this player, I can say that she only disgraces herself: fat people at the poker table do not suit her, disabled people annoy her. What's next?🤦‍♀️

I also want to note that what Veronica Brill, Johnnie "Vibes" Moreno, and other players have done for Cleeton is simply amazing!🙏
I personally agree with you here! It appears that Kitty may need to have a slightly better attitude at the poker table given this is not the first time or the second, where she has been called out. I know the tension is high and there is a lot at stake but in the end, we are all human so hopefully, this will be a turning point for her and others like her.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That incident was blown way out proportion.

Like someone said on twitter, people are so empathetic towards disabled people like KL (which is totally correct), but they lack empathy towards people with broken english and cultural differences like Kitty.

The dealer was dealing cards to KL's dad, like he were part of the game, and slowing down the game. She has every right to talk to the floor about that.

can't believe those bullies on twitter made her apologize even though, she did nothing wrong.

shame on those Karens like Veronica Brill

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Like someone said on twitter, people are so empathetic towards disabled people like KL (which is totally correct), but they lack empathy towards people with broken english and cultural differences like Kitty.

The dealer was dealing cards to KL's dad, like he were part of the game, and slowing down the game. She has every right to talk to the floor about that.

can't believe those bullies on twitter made her apologize even though, she did nothing wrong.

Sometimes these kinds of things can be avoided with a slightly different approach, like anything in life. I agree she did have a right to call the floor but something tells me that there was some insensitivity going on that brings this topic to the spotlight otherwise it might not have been a thing. Just my opinion.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips

I know very well from personal experience that there are very dishonest people among people with disabilities: they are arrogant and terrorize others by suing, allowing themselves unacceptable behavior. They know that the state will be on their side. This is very unfortunate. 🤦‍♀️

But KL, like most, is absolutely not like that. And it was not very polite to attack him because of nuances in which he is not to blame. It's just plain ugly.

How many people participated in the tournament? How many people sat at the same table with KL? I'm sure many people have experienced some discomfort. But I am grateful to them for their tolerance. That's because we're all human, even when it comes to money.

Only Kitty spoke out. The same thing can be said in different ways: she definitely did not speak very politely.

And, in the end, what does it mean: she was forced to apologize? If she's right, why apologize? If she apologized, it means she understands perfectly well that her behavior was too much.

I'm not in the habit of attacking people, but in my opinion, Kitty's upbringing is really lame. I am a supporter of the idea that people should be treated the way you want people to treat you.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree she did have a right to call the floor but something tells me that there was some insensitivity going on that brings this topic to the spotlight otherwise it might not have been a thing. Just my opinion.

That's exactly what bothers me the most.

People are attacking someone's character based on feelings and assumptions, not facts.

There is not enough evidence that this was a case of discrimination, and I'm pretty sure KL himself didn't say he was a victim of it, but he disagreed with her request that his father should be seated behind him.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know very well from personal experience that there are very dishonest people among people with disabilities: they are arrogant and terrorize others by suing, allowing themselves unacceptable behavior. They know that the state will be on their side. This is very unfortunate. 🤦‍♀️

But KL, like most, is absolutely not like that. And it was not very polite to attack him because of nuances in which he is not to blame. It's just plain ugly.

How many people participated in the tournament? How many people sat at the same table with KL? I'm sure many people have experienced some discomfort. But I am grateful to them for their tolerance. That's because we're all human, even when it comes to money.

Only Kitty spoke out. The same thing can be said in different ways: she definitely did not speak very politely.

And, in the end, what does it mean: she was forced to apologize? If she's right, why apologize? If she apologized, it means she understands perfectly well that her behavior was too much.

I'm not in the habit of attacking people, but in my opinion, Kitty's upbringing is really lame. I am a supporter of the idea that people should be treated the way you want people to treat you.

Geez. You really don't like her.

I don't blame you. Not a big fan of her lifestyle and especially how she treated her ex-husband when they were together.

But with all due respect, you weren't there to say her words were not polite and there is no video footage of the incident.

People apologize not meaning it, just to save face ALL THE TIME. Politicians, Youtubers, Husbands do that. It doesn't mean they recognize their mistake.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Geez. You really don't like her.

I don't blame you. Not a big fan of her lifestyle and especially how she treated her ex-husband when they were together.

But with all due respect, you weren't there to say her words were not polite and there is no video footage of the incident.

People apologize not meaning it, just to save face ALL THE TIME. Politicians, Youtubers, Husbands do that. It doesn't mean they recognize their mistake.
In fact, I have neither love nor hate for Kitty. 🤷‍♀️

I don't think that KL, who dreamed of getting to the WSOP and was able to realize his dream again, would have initiated the conflict.
But what you wrote convinces me that Kitty is a conflicted person.

Well, you have expressed your opinion, I have expressed mine.

And thank you😊, I didn't know about these moments. It was interesting to find out.🌺🌺🌺

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The mistake was done by the dealer when the card dealer is giving out cards the caregiver or assistant needs to watch out that they do not deal them in and if they do, they need to tell the card dealer right away to correct the mistake there's no reason to get mad.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Okay, I have come back to this post a few times, was going to comment and then thought better of it but as this rumbles along...

Color me confused, but can anyone point me to when and where Kitty Kuo has has shown a discriminatory attitude in the past - actual incidents. I have no particular feeling about Kuo but if someone is saying she has 'prior' in this area I would like to know the facts of the matter, before, if so, assigning her 'bad actor' status.

Then, regarding how the incident blew up, there had been misdeals and maybe the room played a role in the tensions as the aircon was not up to par, but as Kun Aguero Kroos has pointed out, it was not filmed so in essence it's 'he said she said'. But, as they are quoting Cleeton himself in the report, it kind of strikes a wrong note to me.

Kitty Kuo was aggravated by the misdeals and suggested one on them (father or son) sit behind the other instead of at the table together. However Cleeton openly states 'that was never going to happen' - by that I believe he means this was their response. Cleeton then claims Kuo then said if another misdeal happens she would call the floor. Instead, Cleeton himself immediately called the floor. Sorry, but is that not really hair trigger to anyone else? Why was that necessary? I am fairly sure, as with most of these situations there might have been cause for both to be irritated but it was Cleeton who called the floor preemptively thereby escalating the situation.

Am I missing something?

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
You missed only the fact that we are not arguing here, which of the participants in this topic is right and who is wrong (at least, I'm not arguing for sure).

In accordance with the Shelley theme, we shared our thoughts about the described situation. I was based on what I know about both participants of the incident, Kun Aguero Kroos, based on my knowledge. It doesn't mean I'm right and it doesn't mean he's right. We exchanged our opinions.

But I can say that I still don't believe that a person will apologize and offer % from their winnings just like that: even if it is done to exhaust the incident and save face: it does not look, in my opinion, good. But, in my opinion, the fact that the apology was accepted and the incident was closed - it was reasonable. And it is very noble, again, in my opinion, to refuse to take a% gain in favor of charity.

This is just my opinion.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have no knowledge of this Kitty Kuo person.

Poker is for everyone, although there can be legitimate reasons for people to be suspended or banned of course...

Knew I liked Veronica Brill though and it seems like my instinctual perception has served me well yet again! :love: :D

I'm very happy for K.L. Cleeton being able to play in the W.S.O.P. and really enjoyed spectating his run and I.T.M. finish in the M.E. a few years ago.

Not much more to say on the issue besides for that if you make a mistake, or say something you shouldn't have and are conscious of that fact- you should apologise.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

You are right. We weren't there and the story we are getting is only from one side as to what was said and yes, people from all walks of life do apologize (conveniently in some cases). Sometimes we need reminders ourselves that there are always 3 sides to every story? Theirs, mine and the truth.

Her complaint really was with the dealer and shouldn't have been with K. L. but somehow poker twitter took over and painted the picture it did - It really was not a good look, in my opinion.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a live poker player I think it was quite lame for her to say anything at all given the circumstances. A few misdeals _which were the fault of the dealer - are not going to significantly slow down the game. The dealer obviously needed to get used to the accommodation so nothing wrong with the dealer here either.

She made a mountain out of a molehill and took it out on a disabled player - not cool. Based on her tweet she was obviously not happy about multiple things.

However - she has apologized and hopefully it was genuine and not "forced" as suggested above. I am going to give her the benefit of the doubt on this.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
She made a mountain out of a molehill and took it out on a disabled player - not cool. Based on her tweet she was obviously not happy about multiple things.
I gave my opinion regarding the idea they both might have had cause to be irritated but unless there is video or anyone claiming they witnessed her 'taking it out' on Cleeton I do not understand how that can be assumed. I asked for specifics of other offensive behavior as I do not want to appear to be supporting anyone who is genuinely abrasive (I am not actually supporting her period) but other than the idea she has poor English skills and can appear curt in a Chinese manner I have yet to hear anything substantive. If that were to be the case I'd revise my opinion.

That said, I'll repeat, it was Cleeton who pre-emptively called the floor not Kuo. Personally I am in agreement with those who said the mistake was taking it to Twitter which then led to the overreaction. Was it warranted? No, but it does seem they have buried the hatchet.

WSOP