D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Phil Hellmuth's somewhat debatable reign as king of the heads up came to a halt against Jason Koon.

The lede is that Koon outplayed him but 'the cards distribution was heavily is his favor'.

You mean like every poker session ever? Alrighty then!

A

a1232

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I am relatively new to the community and poker, is Helmuth liked by some? He seems so unlikable I can't understand why he get's such a platform. Is he just that good?

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I watched it....Helmuth is so studious that I'd favour him to win the rematch.

But you can't argue with hands that hit.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It genuinely puzzles me.

There is no doubt in the wsop context, Hellmuth has that 'last longer' ability which has won him more bracelets than anyone. So, it's hard to argue he is not the best WSOP tournament player in history. However, there are many tournaments he avoids, specifically high rollers which by and large feature the best players in the world - so some will argue he avoids the stiffest competition on a regular basis.

That said, though he is a divisive figure, he has his many admirers.

I would say at times I am ambivalent, but Hellmuth then throws yet another vulgar tantrum and in recent years I have lost patience with his routines. Some in the poker world, particularly the media, assert he is good for poker. I liken it to watching a car crash and from an inside poker perspective, yes, many might enjoy his anger. However, it the pretense his antics draw people to poker which I disagree with. I am not aware of any activity where someone having a sweary rant (in Hellmuth's case often punching down at 'lesser' players) draws anyone to that sport - they are normally repulsed.

But, Hellmuth is going nowhere and he continues to receive a pass regardless of his outbursts. He is a face of contemporary poker and therefore one can draw conclusions as to how the industry wants to represent itself.

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have watched Helmuth a lot over the years and this loss couldn't happen to a more deserving player. As far as I am concerned
he is a spoilt brat, he is someone I took an instant dislike to and nothing he has done since then has changed my mind.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Since when was Helmuth the king? Wasn't that Doug Polk's crown?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is impossible to win hands-up all the time. Especially when you are not given premium hands and you have to bluff more often than usual.
According to the article, Jason Koon hit 8-10 premium preflop hands — (aces twice, ace-king, ace-queen three times, ace-jack, pocket 10's, pocket 9's, and a few small pocket pairs) — while Hellmuth couldn't find a premium.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The interesting thing about poker is this variation of the best players giving up spaces so that others can also emerge victorious. The human mind is capable of great feats surpassing other incredible minds.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know Jason Koon, but he seems like a good player.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning.Jason Koon plays high rollers and expensive cash games regularly while Phil Hellmuth avoid them.That was the season why I thought Koon had many chances to beat Poker Brat.I 'm not sure If Hellmuth will want a rematch

IronMike9000

IronMike9000

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I am relatively new to the community and poker, is Helmuth liked by some? He seems so unlikable I can't understand why he get's such a platform. Is he just that good?
He is the most or one of the most entertaining players to watch live.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Two different types of player and person

IronMike9000

IronMike9000

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
As in solely because of his words and outbursts or do you mean in terms of play style?
Predominantly because of his personality, his play is a level below the best players in the world, Justin Bonomo Doug Polk etc.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Good morning.Jason Koon plays high rollers and expensive cash games regularly while Phil Hellmuth avoid them.That was the season why I thought Koon had many chances to beat Poker Brat.I 'm not sure If Hellmuth will want a rematch

Hey, valeski 28, I would be very surprised if Hellmuth will want a rematch also.

It is not only that most would rate Koon a better player, the stakes will double under the structure of the tournament with Hellmuth having to stump up $1.6 million to re-challenge for a total purse of $3.2 million. That amount is off putting to any number of players, let alone Hellmuth and I think that it could be an inherent flaw to the tourney overall - doubling the stakes each game has a natural ceiling.

This would be the point where challenging might too much for a one off head to head game where varience can play a dominating role!

EmptyHouse

EmptyHouse

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I think Hellmuth will want a rematch. We'll see.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I cant say who is the better player but when it come to cash games I think its not the best for Phil. I would take him any time in tournament play but it cash I would bet against him.

There is no doubt in the WSOP context, Hellmuth has that 'last longer' ability which has won him more bracelets than anyone. So, it's hard to argue he is not the best WSOP tournament player in history. However, there are many tournaments he avoids, specifically high rollers which by and large feature the best players in the world - so some will argue he avoids the stiffest competition on a regular basis.
I agree he avoids the high roller events but i dont know if its the compatition he is trying to avoid. I read somewhere years ago on a interview of him and why he avoids the high roller events. It was the variace of the high buys ins he was avoiding. He could be avoiding the players I have to admit but it actually makes sence what he said aboud avoiding those game so I will give him the benifit of the doubt on that one.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
silly to keep upping the stakes so drastically .

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes ,yes...I don't think the UK's snowflakes have much impact elsewhere. Certainly not in the hellmuth household.
jason koon is way better cash game player than phil

It's such a silly thing to say....there are no weak players at that level.

People may dislike Helmuth's antics. But the vast majority of players are feeling exactly the same, they just don't open their mouths to let it out.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Wow 🤩 this is the Level I would like to be at. Is there any challenges??

B

budweiser74777

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I watched the video - the spectacle left an incomprehensible opinion !! there was some confusion

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
two great players, incredible Jason Koon how he beat Phill!

B

budweiser74777

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's very powerful!!! well done just