Greg Merson, Recovering Alcoholic, Takes on Waiter Who Attempted to Serve Him Booze

R

Riversalmon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he had every right to be mad. I would of done the same, especially with the response from waiter. Wow smh

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't think he is being hard enough. He should sue the place. If you go into a place and ask for no peanut or shellfish products the place will assume you have an allergy. If someone ask for a nonalcoholic beverage, that is what they should get. They should not have to explain why, and if you do serve an alcoholic alcohol after they specifically asked for water, you and the business you work for should face more severe consequences than being cursed at. Take away a couple liquor licenses and this kind of crap will stop.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Misleading or tricking people with regards to food and drink should be taken as an extremely serious issue as the implications can mean life or death.

+1,000,000

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thats terrible...a really serious mistake. Waiter needs to be fired, but doxxing him was too far IMO. Never know what crazy mobs will do. I totally get Merson's anger though... sobriety is serious business and this could have derailed him... Basically like pointing a gun at him, I'd be furious, and the response of "so" probably would have set me off too. Waiter needs to figure out if service industry is a good fit, but I wouldn't say he should be banned.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I know this all happened roughly a year ago but the topic is still very relevant. I was trying to find out what happened after the twitter episode calmed down. Anyone know?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If the events happened as reported and the waiter actually intentionally served Merson vodka in place of water.....then I would want that waiter fired - maybe even arrested depending on the laws in Maryland.

To me it is similar to somebody saying they are allergic to eggs and the waiter serves the dish with eggs in it just to see that allergic reaction.

Also, I assume these drinks were served before food was served....no one had eaten yet and I think Merson could have been caught off guard by this ordeal while he was hungry and low blood sugar.

I had a girlfriend that was allergic to alcohol....she would drink and break out in handcuffs!

Good luck !

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, from what I'm reading or have read on the subject. Merson didn't inform the waiter after the "vodka" joke that he was a recovering alcoholic he only informed him after the actual vodka stunt. Seems iffy that the waiter was such an asshole that only merson out of his entire group of friends blew up. I have a buddy who's a recovering alcoholic , if it happened the way it is stated the entire table would have blown up but also after the "do you mean vodka joke" we would have politely informed the waiter that so and so is sober and that if he did bring back vodka he would be dismantled. I think merson took it way to far with the social media stuff, it was indeed petty and just uncalled for. Nobody knows the true story with this waiter and it seems that nobody really knows the real story about the whole situation , I still dont get why a manager wasnt immediately called over.

James_Harrison

James_Harrison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Youve got to know your customer and you dont assume someone is joking when they order something.

I would even go so far as to say you dont joke around and say "vodka water" but not because someone might be a recovering alcoholic, but because its not professional.

I dont think Greg is a terrible person, i mean, i dont really follow him, but the good things he does have made the news..

We all have our faults, but clearly there are people who are not conscious or smart at all and they fall backwards into money and luck and they dont deserve it. It is a hard battle with addiction, Merson has worked a bit for what he has.

Its what makes life interesting, and suck. You wake up and see some fatass or something who is def not smarter than you. Has definitely played less hands of poker than you and they are the success story. :)

For me, the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning is that there truly are things or should i say experiences that are not material in nature that we can experience.

Last edited:
MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously accidents happen, especially in a busy bar, but the lack of remorse and the negative response was uncalled for. Certainly should have been handled better by the wait staff.

N

Nurlanchik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
a bad joke if it's a joke. understand him