Flashback Friday - Tom Dwan and Phil Hellmuth

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
We are now aware of the upcoming Headsup Match between Tom Dwan and Phil Hellmuth. But, did you know this is not the first time they have found themselves in a Headsup game?

In the 2008 NBC HeadsUp Poker Championship, Tom and Phil played out one of the most memorable hands of that tournament.

Flashback Friday: The Last Time Dwan Faced Hellmuth Heads-Up

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, 76 big blinds/all-in pre-flop with pocket Tens vs. pocket Aces. Live player vs. Internet player. Terrible play vs. standard play? All in a day.

Memorable? Not in my limited experience. Happens all the time. And Phil knows that. I would expect to see similar hands in the rematch.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hmm, 76 big blinds/all-in pre-flop with pocket Tens vs. pocket Aces. Live player vs. Internet player. Terrible play vs. standard play? All in a day.

Memorable? Not in my limited experience. Happens all the time. And Phil knows that. I would expect to see similar hands in the rematch.

I totally understand what you are saying there.

In my mind, it's not so much the actual hand that is 'memorable' but maybe the conversation between the 2 of them? Even though we have come to expect this from Phil H in present day (actually, I think he has mellowed with age a bit) I remember seeing this back then (2008) and definitely formed an opinion.

T

thunder_road

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

In my mind, it's not so much the actual hand that is 'memorable' but maybe the conversation between the 2 of them? Even though we have come to expect this from Phil H in present day (actually, I think he has mellowed with age a bit) I remember seeing this back then (2008) and definitely formed an opinion.

yea what i remember most is phil saying tom wouldn't be around in 10 years

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

yea what i remember most is phil saying tom wouldn't be around in 10 years
So true! I don't watch a lot poker on TV/YouTube, but when I do it's mostly for everything other than the actual poker. That's why Phil Helmuth and Daniel Negreanu are so popular I guess. I don't know a lot of professional players by sight, but these two I do.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Helmuth to Dwan : ''We'll see if you'll be around in five years '' lol , very hilarious

This suckout , one of the best funny poker moments imo ,

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah this would be very interesting. And a very interesting had that was. And PH just now catching up on that agressive game, adjusting it to beat all the heads ups. Kudos to him.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

In this case it was memorable because many were able to watch that very hand play out on TV.
Back in 2008, it wasn't typical to get it allin pre with TT... and Phil would know that, hence why he's belittling Dwan.

middle73

middle73

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah this would be very interesting. And a very interesting had that was. And PH just now catching up on that agressive game, adjusting it to beat all the heads ups. Kudos to him.

Forever:D:D

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.I loved Dwan´s smile when he got the set and , obviously ,Hellmuth´s reaction after he lost that hand.This will be a great heads up to watch between these 2 legends.I wanna watch that reaction again in this game,so I hope Dwan wins with the weaker hand.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"In the 2008 NBC HeadsUp Poker Championship, Tom and Phil played out one of the most memorable hands of that tournament."

I saw this match back that year and they both play very serious high level poker.
They must be playing an enjoyable match.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Wow, saw this thread and just read the reports of the game last week.

Dwan took down Helmuths AA again to win the match. :eek::eek: