Federal Online Poker Measure Could be Voted on This Month

curtinsea

curtinsea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have Republican senators, they need to hear from you.

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20120802/NEWS/120809974/1070&ParentProfile=1058
The Las Vegas Sun conducted an unscientific poll of about 20 of the remaining Republicans, sampling from both moderates and conservatives, that revealed most have not made up their minds about poker and that one — Rand Paul of Kentucky — is likely to support an online poker bill. But many Republican undecideds were clearly leaning toward “no.”

“I generally have opposed gambling across the board in all forms. So though I have not seen the bill, I probably would oppose it,” said Sen. Mike Crapo of Idaho, listed as undecided in the poker community's survey.

I'm not a big fan of expanding gaming on the Internet, especially for revenue purposes,” said Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida.

“Online poker? No, I wouldn't vote for it,” said Sen. James Inhofe of Oklahoma. “I'd vote against it. I don't like gambling.”

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell would not answer questions this week about whether he plans to use his influence to help push for poker legislation before the election — or whether he believes doing so would help Heller in his race against Shelley Berkley.​

I view this more as a way for Reid to do nothing. So far, there isn't even a bill in the Senate, he's talking about needing votes, he's a long way away from needing votes.

And even if there were a bill, he only needs a couple of GOP votes, it wouldn't be the first thing he's pressed through without GOP support.

Given that Reid is unable to even bring a budget to the floor for the last 3 years, it just seems like him making excuses for inaction.

The real press needs to be in the House, the Barton Bill needs to get passed out of committee and moved forward, it is at the sole discretion of the committee chair(s) as to when that happens. Rep. Fred Upton (D-MI) is the Chair of the Energy and Commerce Committee, he is the one we need to press.

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It bothers me. I bitch about it everyday.

The sad part is it's the norm in Washington. Votes are bought and sold and traded for favors and people tow the party line with rare exceptions.

How I will miss Ron Paul.

coyotegal

coyotegal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
odds arent great, but there is still a chance.. odds arent great for someone to hit a 1 outer on the river but its all happened to us.
I agree... ya just never know! Ima put some positive energy into it anyways!

FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If you have Republican senators, they need to hear from you.

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20120802/NEWS/120809974/1070&ParentProfile=1058
The Las Vegas Sun conducted an unscientific poll of about 20 of the remaining Republicans, sampling from both moderates and conservatives, that revealed most have not made up their minds about poker and that one — Rand Paul of Kentucky — is likely to support an online poker bill. But many Republican undecideds were clearly leaning toward “no.”

“I generally have opposed gambling across the board in all forms. So though I have not seen the bill, I probably would oppose it,” said Sen. Mike Crapo of Idaho, listed as undecided in the poker community's survey.

I'm not a big fan of expanding gaming on the Internet, especially for revenue purposes,” said Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida.

“Online poker? No, I wouldn't vote for it,” said Sen. James Inhofe of Oklahoma. “I'd vote against it. I don't like gambling.”

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell would not answer questions this week about whether he plans to use his influence to help push for poker legislation before the election — or whether he believes doing so would help Heller in his race against Shelley Berkley.​
Does this not bother anyone?
Absolutely. This one is impressive: “I generally have opposed gambling across the board in all forms. So though I have not seen the bill, I probably would oppose it”, as well as this other one: “online poker? No, I wouldn't vote for it,” said Sen. James Inhofe of Oklahoma. “I'd vote against it. I don't like gambling.”

Makes me wonder if some of the members of Congress actually read bills before passing them (at least part of the bill, some of them are huge) and not just base their voting on the title of the bill and what their principles or beliefs are toward the given issue at stake (aside from any interest they may have on passing/not passing a bill ($ involved)).

I feel it kind of similar as a juror who feels the person about to be trial is inocent or guilty based on he's gut feeling toward him/her even before the trial begins.

Last edited:
W

wuffman92

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
They should let people gamble if they like to so stupid.

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There seems to be a lot of fear sending funds to politicians. And, the fear I'm talking about are those that are in the business that think that online will hurt their bottom line. Just look at the excuse of a certain head of The Sands Las Vegas--morally agains it (Seriously?).

B

bopo59

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate the stupid government.

The problem with our government is simple, they want to control our lives, what we do, how we spend.

They would rather force you to pay a tax on anything they decide*, but when it comes to something we would decide to spend money on,

Oh No--We're here to protect you from yourselves--you might lose your money better spent on something else we decided to Tax!

But play the Lottery we get all of that!!!!!!!

*Lets count the taxes they force us to pay..Gas, Cigarettes, Liquor, All Utility Bills (phone, electric, gas, water, cable), Income earned, Unearned income, Interest income, Unemployment benefits, Social Security benefits, Import taxes, Export taxes, Air fares, Estate Taxes, Gambling winnings, Entertainment taxes (Ball games Movies,etc.), Hotel rooms, Sales Tax, City taxes, State taxes...you name it, their collecting something on it!

There are numerous Hidden taxes we that we pay, including: All licensing fees (drivers, business, fire arms, hunting, fishing and all vehicle Registrations and plates)

Every F'n thing we do is taxed......I'm sick of it!!!!

They will only legalize Poker online on a national level when it will Benefit Them!!!!

They (the politicians) have their own financial and political careers to worry about , not us!

If they were really worried about it (us), they would have done something about the economy and jobless rate by now.

Until then, guess we are just SOL

Sorry to be so negative, but only Nevada and Delaware have gotten right.

Hope I am wrong, but it still looks like a long shot everywhere else!

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel it kind of similar as a juror who feels the person about to be trial is inocent or guilty based on he's gut feeling toward him/her even before the trial begins.

Or deciding someone is guilty because he has a beard and "I don't like beards".

I thought these people were suppose to represent us, not vote how the party tells them to, or how their preacher tells them to. If someone doesn't like gambling - DON'T GAMBLE.

And as for opposing gambling in all forms, I don't see these moralistic hypocrits trying to ban lotteries and horse-racing and fantasy football. And I bet you find the right-wing Christians buying lottery tickets at the corner store.

(Interesting stat: Hotels make the most $ selling "adult" programming in the bible belt.)

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can only hope. I'd love to be able to play again without fear of the government stepping in, shutting down my sites and freezing my bankroll. It pisses me off to no end that they sell lottery tickets and we can't safely play poker online.