Doug Polk explains his 'Big Laydown' from a recent High Stakes Poker Episode

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a recent episode of High Stakes poker, there is a hand that a lot of folks probably wouldn't have folded, as Doug Polk folded vs Phil Hellmuth.

The hand in question is in this video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcHra9RMw0A

And the video below has Doug Polk explaining his thought process -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2YZ5nV2-Mk

The full story is in the link below.
Doug Polk Explains Why He Folded Flopped Straight to Phil Hellmuth on ‘High Stakes Poker’

Great example of exploitative play. Doug knows Phil but still took the time to try to get more data and Phil obliged by making the blocker statement which was weird if you were bluffing as Doug said.

So for all of us if we are going to speak during a hand we should practice off table what to say. We would want to have a script in our minds of neutral statements that can be interpreted either way to give our V the chance to make an error.

:):)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's no secret I'm not Polk's biggest fan, although I was impressed that he beat DNegs in the HU challenge, despite others expecting perhaps the margin to be greater..

It was an exceptionally good fold but nowhere near the greatest ever..

I think Phil's speech play 'I could have a set' was more diabolical than Doug's fold was incredible.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, Phil played this hand rather poorly. Against good players you cant make such an unbalanced play and simply ship it in on the flop for a million times the pot. If Phil had just called Dougs raise or even put in a small 3-bet, he could surely have extracted more value from Doug on the later streets.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doug Polk gained strength after the demonstration of the cards. Helmut's reputation played a significant role in this heroic fold.
“Phil Hellmuth is someone that prides himself on not getting stacked by anyone ever with anything, especially if he’s behind.”

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that they know each other so well from the game that they willingly believe in the strength of the opponent's hand.Moreover, there are two spades on the table that can give us additional outs against the lower street.The fact that they demonstrate once again proves their professionalism.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think Doug would have come to the same conclusion (in time) even if Phil H hadn't said a thing. I also think it's nearly impossible for Phil H not to say something which hurt him in the end.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think Doug would have come to the same conclusion (in time) even if Phil H hadn't said a thing. I also think it's nearly impossible for Phil H not to say something which hurt him in the end.

How does Phil Helmuth manage to be so irritating? He can't even let a guy make an amazing fold without taking the gloss off with some ridiculous chat!!

I do love watching him, but wow he's annoying, which is probably why I love watching him!!:confused:

Amazing fold!!

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting video. Thank you.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
How does Phil Helmuth manage to be so irritating? He can't even let a guy make an amazing fold without taking the gloss off with some ridiculous chat!!

I do love watching him, but wow he's annoying, which is probably why I love watching him!!:confused:

Amazing fold!!

I really like Phil...I really do. He is exactly what we know him to be. That's not going to change one bit. I think all the poker people he plays with know him well enough and hear his chatter often enough that it's nothing new how he reacts, etc.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I really like Phil...I really do. He is exactly what we know him to be. That's not going to change one bit. I think all the poker people he plays with know him well enough and hear his chatter often enough that it's nothing new how he reacts, etc.

He's absolutely amazing for the game, no doubt about it, especially in terms of the TV coverage and raising the profile, helps that he's amazingl good too of course!!

The characters are what really make all live sports/games....its something that's being coached/media trained out of a lot of sportspeople these days, so far I think poker is still blessed with more than its fair share. :)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Big laydown , one of the biggest ,he read perfectly the hand and the opponent , I could never laydown such a hand :) That was awesome to watch :) Hellmuth should have kept his mouth closed , lol :)

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
An excellent video for those who are new to poker and can appreciate a good fold from a master in this game.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, Phil played this hand rather poorly. Against good players you cant make such an unbalanced play and simply ship it in on the flop for a million times the pot. If Phil had just called Dougs raise or even put in a small 3-bet, he could surely have extracted more value from Doug on the later streets.

I agree, and given that Phil has a spade in his hand makes it slightly less likely Doug has a flush draw. I've watched this video many times and Phil just looked like his was ready to explode at the idea that he was going to (potentially) win a lot of money.

I totally agree - I think just given his reputation, Doug probably folds though it would have been a tougher fold. Phil makes it easy for Doug here. ACR Pro Michael Loncar was asked about this on one of his streams, and he said while it's a good fold, it's actually not a difficult fold to make....BECAUSE IT'S PHIL HELLMUTH (this last four words sum it up pretty well).

Big laydown , one of the biggest ,he read perfectly the hand and the opponent , I could never laydown such a hand :) That was awesome to watch :) Hellmuth should have kept his mouth closed , lol :)

It's a good fold, but far from the best fold I've ever seen. Also, if you watch Hellmuth enough, you would realize that against good players in cash games, he's not going to get out of line, which is why he's historically done poorly in cash games. He's at his best when he is taking advantage of amateur players in MTT's.