Daniel Colman refused to speak to the media!

L

luckyhearts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe owes taxes
likes his privacy
is shy:D
has a greedy ex
etc

the limelight is not for everyone...I would be uncomfortable in front of cameras... plus I would look like an idiot when I could not stop smiling:p

FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In what way did he act inappropriately?

I think when he said "appropriately" he just meant, that he should do the interviews and pose for the photo, on his own merit. And not have to be "pursuated" to do either... As a pro poker player who has benefited financially from the game (as he stated in the 2+2 interview,) he should know that interviews and post tourney pictures, come with the territory. Plain and simple. He knew going in, that that would be expected of him if he won, whether he wants to do it or not.
Exactly, that's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying it.

pokertroll

pokertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guy will never play a wsop tourney again so the pokerworld will forget about him anyway.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think when he said "appropriately" he just meant, that he should do the interviews and pose for the photo, on his own merit. And not have to be "pursuated" to do either... As a pro poker player who has benefited financially from the game (as he stated in the 2+2 interview,) he should know that interviews and post tourney pictures, come with the territory. Plain and simple. He knew going in, that that would be expected of him if he won, whether he wants to do it or not.... On a side note, I'm sure that next year, the WSOP will make it mandatory of every winning player to do interviews and take photos. Almost as a contract, when you buy-in to an event.

Lolwhat?

He should know he has an obligation to do something you believe it incumbent on him to do...bc you believe it.

This is your argument?

Also, i don't think you know what the phrase, "on his own merit" actually means.

Also- for the third time- how is it "inappropriate" behavior to simply respectfully turn down an interview?

Maybe CET will make it mandatory in the future, but I still haven't heard one good argument as to how this guy did anything even the slightest bit wrong.

He put up his money, paid some obscene rake, and won......

Why you think he should be responsible for some PR blitz to make poker look good is beyond me. NOW, if he was a site sponsored pro, that would be another story entirely.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guy will never play a WSOP tourney again so the pokerworld will forget about him anyway.

A lot of people "forgotten" or never "known" in the poker world are doing a whole lot better than the donkament pros you guys think are worldbeaters but are really 6-7 figures in makeup with nothing to show from the game.

Poker isn't about being respected by forum posters, it is about making money.

lulu pk

lulu pk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lolwhat?

He should know he has an obligation to do something you believe it incumbent on him to do...bc you believe it.

This is your argument?

Also, i don't think you know what the phrase, "on his own merit" actually means.

Also- for the third time- how is it "inappropriate" behavior to simply respectfully turn down an interview?

Maybe CET will make it mandatory in the future, but I still haven't heard one good argument as to how this guy did anything even the slightest bit wrong.

Why you think he should be responsible for some PR blitz to make poker look good is beyond me. NOW, if he was a site sponsored pro, that would be another story entirely.

Well said,i completely agree.He pay $111,000 rake and if he doesn't won't to talk it his right.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There was a kid from the North Countries (norway/sweden/finland) just a few years ago who won some huge amount and in the post game interview said (I watched it), that he would now disappear. But he did in a respectful way.

He did apparently disappear, and we forgot about him (he wasn't the winner, but the cash was life changing), and we will forget about this 'What's his name?'.

But certainly we will never see him being described as graceful.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There was a kid from the North Countries (Norway/Sweden/Finland) just a few years ago who won some huge amount and in the post game interview said (I watched it), that he would now disappear. But he did in a respectful way.

He did apparently disappear, and we forgot about him (he wasn't the winner, but the cash was life changing), and we will forget about this 'What's his name?'.

But certainly we will never see him being described as graceful.

We are going to forget about 99% of donkament pros who bink or look good in a main....ive been around the game over a decade on and off so I remember when people like Mark Seif, Alex Jacob and Michael DiMichele were wizards and bound to make a lasting imprint on poker.....so much for that.

AGAIN, poker-especially in post boom yrs- isn't about being remembered...this isn't a sport or even chess, it is about making as much money for as long as you can.

W

waterboy73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lolwhat?

This is your argument?

....Somehow you misunderstood my comment...

You asked: "In what way did he act inappropriately?"

And I responded with what (I assumed) FastOne meant when HE said "appropriately." I didn't give my own opinion anywhere, nor make any argument. As far as the phrase "on his own merit" goes, I could be slightly off... But with as many grammar mistakes as there are in your post I quoted, I doubt you're a scholar either...

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a2345, poker is considerated a sport

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
....Somehow you misunderstood my comment...

You asked: "In what way did he act inappropriately?"

And I responded with what (I assumed) FastOne meant when HE said "appropriately." I didn't give my own opinion anywhere, nor make any argument. As far as the phrase "on his own merit" goes, I could be slightly off... But with as many grammar mistakes aou mad thos there are in your post I quoted, I doubt you're a scholar either...

Lol, why you mad tho?:D

Do you think "scholars" put a lot of care in posting on internet message boards?

I was obviously not trying to impugn your intellect....lol....just commenting on what he meant or whatever. Whoever expressed the idea, it was a moronic one.

a2345, poker is considerated a sport

Checked the IOC, and it sure isn't.

It is a game.....a skill-based gambling game where luck plays an essential role in the short to medium run.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No,poker is not recognize as sport.

Herein we have a quandary! If it is not a sport, then why is it shown on TV on the sports channels???

HMMM? WHY ?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Herein we have a quandary! If it is not a sport, then why is it shown on TV on the sports channels???

HMMM? WHY ?

For the same reason Two and a Half Men gets billed as a comedy, even though it's not funny? :p

W

Wickedonesin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say the WSOP Main Event is a sport.... a Marathon... in fact :)

I doubt I have the stamina to survive even long enough to cash in that mega event.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

HMMM? WHY ?

For the same reason watching a kid with cerebral palsy meeting AROD, spelling bees and Cancer fundraisers are also NOT sports....

HMMMMMMMM. Try not be pompous when you are wrong next time.

CHURCH!

For the same reason Two and a Half Men gets billed as a comedy, even though it's not funny? :p

No, that would be white people....white people. Mostly middle aged and old white people. Who watches network t.v. outside live sporting events anymore anyway?

Bottom of the barrel demos.

I would say the WSOP Main Event is a sport.... a Marathon... in fact :)

I doubt I have the stamina to survive even long enough to cash in that mega event.

Right, so studying for an organic chem. final is now a sport as well.....I will tell guy from my class in a wheel chair he is a great athlete.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As mentioned before.

Its better off not interviewing someone with such a negitive view of their own Game.

Imagine if an Olyimpian having a negitive view on winning Gold.
It just wouldn't be the right.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 cents: There is a dark side to almost everything. Welcome to the world. One Drop is a bright side, and the drama over Colman's aloofness was a distraction from it. Makes me wish Negreanu had won instead.

V

Vazh93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's his right to not talk to the media. But I hate his guts for the comments that he made online right after winning 15 million from a "dark game".

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get why people or the media thinks that this guys has an "obligation" to do an interview...he doesn't.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 cents: There is a dark side to almost everything. Welcome to the world. One Drop is a bright side, and the drama over Colman's aloofness was a distraction from it. Makes me wish Negreanu had won instead.

So if there is in fact a dark side to everything, why are we castigating someone for bringing up commonly held knowledge.

We all agree it is his CHOICE to speak to the press or not, correct?

So remind me why people are upset again>?

It's his right to not talk to the media. But I hate his guts for the comments that he made online right after winning 15 million from a "dark game".

Hate is a very strong word; you may want to really think about what you just wrote. I say stupid stuff all the time and do not take posting on the internet as srs business, but if you really hate him for having an opinion like that, something is wrong.

I don't get why people or the media thinks that this guys has an "obligation" to do an interview...he doesn't.

First they hate him for not expressing himself.

Now they hate him for expressing honestly held opinions about poker which they acknowledge are based in fact.

I am really at a loss....I think a lot of it is that people want to hold onto the dream of poker as some pure mind sport with no downside/gambling involved when that is pretty far from reality as anyone who plays live can tell you.